The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Superhursty7 said:

The last glamour friendly I can remember is the Man United one for about 10 years back that McGinty played for Man United in.

again that was a very young team , yes a couple of them went on  to  have good careers , but at that time you hardly knew any of them 

Edited by Finlay21

Posted (edited)

What was the crowd for the man u game, bearing in mind it came with free race day tickets...!? 

If it's a O.F. or K*llie reserve/junior team, no thanks and I believe the ticket sales will be crap. If it's a full strength-ish team... then treat it as not only a money spinner but community engagement, with no decent cup runs of late, I feel this is needed to get the town sparked up. I detest the OF... but will take the money, happily. The stand also needs the fanfare etc... 

I'd love us to play Feyenoord, but that's a football fan, not an Ayr fan. As an Ayr fan, I want the money, the chance to bolster our own support and also the advertising/brand awareness. 

Ps. We should be playing for the AYR-Shire fuckin Cup! DKB's.

Edited by F.T.O.F.1910

Just now, Finlay21 said:

again that was a very young team , yes a couple of them went ion to  have good, but at that time you hardly knew any of them 

IIRC the only first teamer was Gibson and should have been sent off for a shocking tackle 

3 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

IIRC the only first teamer was Gibson and should have been sent off for a shocking tackle 

Manchester United XI: Kuszczak; M Keane, McGinty, Norwood, Thorpe (Cole 15) (Givern 88), Fryers, Drinkwater, Gibson (Lonsdale 90), W Keane Fornasier (75), Pogba, Petrucci (Lingard 53).

1 minute ago, Superhursty7 said:

Kuszczak, Gibson, Michael Keane, Drinkwater, Norwood, Pogba and Lingard were all players known at the time, either first teamers or players in and around breaking into first team.  I am sure Solksjaer was the manager as well.

Remember when Blackburn Rovers bought a full squad of Players who'd go on to win the Premier League the next season for Allys testimonial?

Shearer was a notable absence but still some team. 

Posted (edited)

I mind us having a pre season game against a decent Bolton Wanderers side a number of years ago. Maybe a 1-1 draw. 

Think it was the same pre-season that we battered Motherwell, and everyone was cautiously optimistic of a good season where we would challenge at the top end for a return to the 2nd tier, then ended up being very shite.

Edit. Aye, 12/13, we finished 7th in League 1.

We also put 6 past Clyde in the league cup in August, which helped fuel expectations.

Edited by AUcal

20 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Remember when Blackburn Rovers bought a full squad of Players who'd go on to win the Premier League the next season for Allys testimonial?

Shearer was a notable absence but still some team. 

We played Southampton the week he signed for Blackburn so he didn’t play, we played Blackburn just before he signed for Newcastle and he didn’t play. We played Newcastle in John Traynors testimonial and he didn’t come up for it. 
Stuart Ripley was a big name in that Blackburn team, he went for a ball with the Ayr keeper on the day, Wullie Spence. Spence missed the ball and cleared Ripley out the 18 yard box in stead with a right boot to the ribs. 

1 minute ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Whe was the last time we played a foreign team at Somerset? Aarhus in 1975 when we won 4-1?

img_65b11c99e29c1.jpg

Nah, we played Cluj a few years back when they were Romanian Champions. We played a few when Reid was manager in some tournament Kenny Moyes arranged. Can’t remember who they were though. 

1 minute ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Whe was the last time we played a foreign team at Somerset? Aarhus in 1975 when we won 4-1?

img_65b11c99e29c1.jpg

Ayr United v Coleraine, 0-1, 2015

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Unirea Urziceni, who went on to beat Rangers at Ibrox in the CL that season IIRC, managed by Dan Petrescu at the time.

Think we drew 1-1, Andy Aitken scored an absolute beauty of an own goal IIRC?

Edited by ComradeDiego

10 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Unirea Urziceni, who went on to beat Rangers at Ibrox in the CL that season IIRC, managed by Dan Petrescu at the time.

Must have missed that. It was 2012. The only other foreign team I remember at Somerset was (I think) Gornick Zabrze from Poland.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Ayr United v Coleraine, 0-1, 2015

Not sure Coleraine falls in to my definition of foreign. I'd maybe allow Derry City on a technically since they play in the League of Ireland.

Edited by edinburghhonestman

23 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

They have since been liquidated btw.

As have Unirea Urziceni 😏

7 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Talking to a Jags fan at work today. He thinks it won't be long before he moves up a level.

He obviously had that howler against us, I’ve not actually seen enough of him to tell so just going off the comments of Partick fans. Whether there’s some hyperbole after his strike last night I don’t know!

To jump standards so quickly and well is very impressive though, so you would think he would continue to kick on.

https://gmfc.net/germany-vs-scotland-cappielow-kickoff/

See Morton are running a night at Cappielow for the Germany v Scotland game.  £20 gets you a pint, get to keep the stein and some food.  Surely something we've looked at doing, would imagine quite a lot would be interested and a fair few quid raked in through the bar?