The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Daire O’Connor you would imagine. 

Yeah you’d think so. 

40 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Did anyone seriously think we would be going into a new season with the exact same central midfield options... bearing in mind it was an absolute abomination last season and one of our major issues. 

ETA, Gomez Mancini starts for the Burnley first team tonight, and Harker on the bench. 

Absoulotely not. Bit of a minter from Hopkin if he’s went “Aye this midfield is good enough”. Of course we may still get a couple of additions from Burnley but I had hoped this would of been done prior to the league kicking off. Can only imagine that Burnley’s season kicking off a couple of weeks after ours is the reason for the delay. 

17 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Gomez looking good so I think there is zero chance we’re getting him, I’m really disappointed because he is a mixture of the doc and Kelly, would have been great still crossing my fingers but not hopeful, a bit like Drinnan situ of last year got into the squad and was going nowhere.

Don’t think how he performs in pre season friendlies is really going to influence him going out on loan. That decision would probably already been made and they will just be giving him some 1st team exposure as a learning experience. 

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

To an extent, yes - however with Chalmers, Miller and Murdoch already there that still leaves a spot which should have been filled with more quality before the league season beginning. 

As it stands the middle five for the Killie game should  look like this : Salkeld Murdoch Murhead Hewitt Maxwell .

That is nothing what so ever like last years . 

Now I get your pissed off with the state of us running into the first league game and you do have a point . However we don’t have buckets of money to through at it compared to the usual suspects and three of our targets went in their direction . I think we can muddle through with out midfield options in the short term , my main concern is up top , we really need a centre forward or two . McKenzie can cover Tommi for the last 20 mins etc but we’re wide open to a medium or long term injury . Image if we had got Toderov , Smith and McGinn ? We would have been sweet .

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Yeah you’d think so. 

Absoulotely not. Bit of a minter from Hopkin if he’s went “Aye this midfield is good enough”. Of course we may still get a couple of additions from Burnley but I had hoped this would of been done prior to the league kicking off. Can only imagine that Burnley’s season kicking off a couple of weeks after ours is the reason for the delay. 

Don’t think how he performs in pre season friendlies is really going to influence him going out on loan. That decision would probably already been made and they will just be giving him some 1st team exposure as a learning experience. 

Its frustrating, Murdoch reappearing and Hewitt providing lots of energy and doing well has saved us a bit in pre season, but I don’t think it’s nearly enough for when the real stuff starts. 

My only concern is that someone starting for Burnley in pre season games means they will now be looking for an English league one or two loan for them. 

2 minutes ago, North British said:

As it stands the middle five for the Killie game should  look like this : Salkeld Murdoch Murhead Hewitt Maxwell .

That is nothing what so ever like last years . 

Now I get your pissed off with the state of us running into the first league game and you do have a point . However we don’t have buckets of money to through at it compared to the usual suspects and three of our targets went in their direction . I think we can muddle through with out midfield options in the short term , my main concern is up top , we really need a centre forward or two . McKenzie can cover Tommi for the last 20 mins etc but we’re wide open to a medium or long term injury . Image if we had got Toderov , Smith and McGinn ? We would have been sweet .

I said central midfield though and Hewitt, Muirhead and Murdoch were all here last season. It’s literally the exact same group of players we had last year, and Hewitt was sent out on loan.  I personally feel central midfield is the most concerning area of the park, in a deeper and  attacking sense. Of course concerns up front too. 

Your quoted midfield five might be the most defensive midfield of all time, but it’s all we really have.  We also have no idea if Maxwell is going to be effective playing in a new role to him. I don’t think many of us wanted Salkeld to be a starter, but he can play a role with the right quality round about him. 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

our quoted midfield five might be the most defensive midfield of all time, but it’s all we really have.  We also have no idea if Maxwell is going to be effective playing in a new role to him. I don’t think many of us wanted Salkeld to be a starter, but he can play a role with the right quality round about him. 

Salkeld was my man of the match at Hamilton , he was everywhere , I’d guess he will start most games for Hoppy , Maxwell is an attacking fullback with a good level of goals and assists and a bit of a lump as well . Your correct centre midfield needs a quarter back and a goal scoring Kelly type . It might take the rest of the window to fill those slots , or it could be Mancini and O’Conner . McAlister also hasn’t come into the picture . 

From the games I’ve seen so far the team has a physicality and a mentality to go toe to toe with the fancied teams in the league  but I agree it still need three players with some goals and or class in them .

I'm looking through our side and I'm struggling to see where our quality passes, free kick taking and corner taking is coming from ?

Chalmers clearly isn't up to it and doubtful that he'll be a starter in any case, so who's likely to be our dead ball expert ??

However we dress it up, we're definitely missing a ball player and I can't see how we can play without one.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'm looking through our side and I'm struggling to see where our quality passes, free kick taking and corner taking is coming from ?

Chalmers clearly isn't up to it and doubtful that he'll be a starter in any case, so who's likely to be our dead ball expert ??

However we dress it up, we're definitely missing a ball player and I can't see how we can play without one.

Who are you and what have you done with WATTOO?

2 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Who are you and what have you done with WATTOO?

I was willing to give us time but time is now rapidly running out and while Maxwell is a good signing he's the last position we actually needed filled.

The Irish lad and a couple of promising Burnley lads would turn the depression on it's head but the noises coming out of Somerset aren't exactly inspiring much confidence at the moment !!!

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I was willing to give us time but time is now rapidly running out and while Maxwell is a good signing he's the last position we actually needed filled.

The Irish lad and a couple of promising Burnley lads would turn the depression on it's head but the noises coming out of Somerset aren't exactly inspiring much confidence at the moment !!!

Can’t disagree.  Not sure where McAllister fits in either.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Christ, things much be pretty grim when Wattoo is even daring to criticise. 

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Christ, things much be pretty grim when Wattoo is even daring to criticise. 

I've no skin in the game other than being a supporter and season ticket holder, sometimes I think the criticism of Hopkin and the club in general is pretty unfair, however we do seem to be very short in certain areas and even in overall squad size with the new season almost upon us.

Hopefully this will be rectified over the next few days but we don't even appear to have any rumours or speculation to cling to, let alone any sort of official updates which I fully admit is a tad concerning !!

Craig Conway still a free agent 👀 

Think our midfield and is a lot solider than last season hence the 0 goals conceded so far.

Lacking creativity though so might not score many either.

Still 0-0 in every league game would give us 36 points which might just be enough to keep us up

18 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Still 0-0 in every league game would give us 36 points which might just be enough to keep us up

Oh aye, wait and I'll buy a season ticket to watch a draw at Somerset every other week 😐 The excitement of a 0-0 draw, total Goals galore. 

I'm sure there will be ups and downs this season, though Ayr need to start building an attack imminently. 36 points might keep us up, though it would defeat the purpose in calling Ayr 'The Super'...... More like 'Super Boredom.' New faces Upfront and a new creative midfielder, then I'm happy. 

They've already taken the topless women away from advertising Ayr shirts, don't take away my slim hopes of league dominance 🙄

Think McAllister is going to be like when we signed Rose back in 2016. Clearly still a work in progress but can play in enough positions where he should still feature regularly enough this season.

As for dead ball players we’ve really only got Reading and Chalmers. Readings corners are reasonable enough tbh. In saying that I can only recall a couple of occasions where we’ve actually scored directly from a free kick in the last 5 seasons.

Where is this O'conner link coming from? Did he play as a trialist in any of our games pre season? 

Someone on here heard we are signing someone who had been on trial at Harrogate a few weeks ago. O’Connor was on trial with them and Livingston.

He’s also following the club and VOR on Twitter.

Edit: He hasn’t played for us and is still contracted by Cliftonville but seems to have some sort of agreement to be let out his contract should a Scottish or English club come in for him.

Has any one looked at O’Connor’s history though? Highest level played at Cork, got punted there when bottom of the league, although unclear why, dislocated his shoulder at some point and last played for a part time team. Kicked about the international Uni team. No other Irish Premier team has come in for him. Read elsewhere described as a super sub. The push for FT football seems to be his own desire rather than obvious ability. Wary of the player/agent mutual appreciation, the Twitter stuff seems a little desperate. 
Being harsh but don’t see anyone commenting on him much.

Edited by bazka6

IF O'Conner happens can see us going with this:
                     McAdams
           Baird Fjortoft McGinty 
Houston Murdoch Muirhead Reading 
      O'Connor Adeloye Maxwell
Subs: Albinson, McCallister, Ecrepont, Miller, Chalmers, Salkeld, McKenzie, Moffat
1 or 2 on top of that from Burnley and Michael Hewitt leaves us with a pretty good depth IMO, would have like a 21/22 man squad. 
If that materialised i could see Hewitt and Ecrepont going out on loan, would make sense, with option to recall if we get fucked with injuries ofc
From what has been said on here hewitt has impressed in the league cup so far, so I think it would be foolish to send him out on loan.

I'd much prefer to give the lad a chance to see what he can do. We're limited with options as it is.

6 hours ago, pandarilla said:

From what has been said on here hewitt has impressed in the league cup so far, so I think it would be foolish to send him out on loan.

I'd much prefer to give the lad a chance to see what he can do. We're limited with options as it is.

Hewitt from what I've seen is now ready to be in the pool much at the same level as McKenzie .

8 hours ago, bazka6 said:

Has any one looked at O’Connor’s history though? Highest level played at Cork, got punted there when bottom of the league, although unclear why, dislocated his shoulder at some point and last played for a part time team. Kicked about the international Uni team. No other Irish Premier team has come in for him. Read elsewhere described as a super sub. The push for FT football seems to be his own desire rather than obvious ability. Wary of the player/agent mutual appreciation, the Twitter stuff seems a little desperate. 
Being harsh but don’t see anyone commenting on him much.

That track record doesn't look good compared to the highly rated Dre Wright who we signed. Could still turn out to be the next Paddy McCourt though .