The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Summary: Brutal watch but 3 points. Really, that’s very pleasing. They are brutal, we were pretty brutal as well but has anyone ever seen a decent game vs Inverness at home in recent years? They usually take the lead on 20 and time waste their way to a 1-0 win … .

Last season, pretty sure we’d have folded and drawn or lost that game. Let’s take the win and move on.

Edited by Aufc_

Inverness fan on Twitter claiming that Scot Gardiner has said it’s unlikely Chalmers will sign for them as Dundee Utd don’t want to loan him to a Championship team. I’m assuming they’d only let him go to us if we paid a fee and bought him outright and at least they get a bit of cash for him. 

Still reckon he’s more likely to go down South. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Inverness fan on Twitter claiming that Scot Gardiner has said it’s unlikely Chalmers will sign for them as Dundee Utd don’t want to loan him to a Championship team. I’m assuming they’d only let him go to us if we paid a fee and bought him outright and at least they get a bit of cash for him. 

Agree mate it’s hope more than expectation. He’d be that bit of quality that can often be the difference. Let’s hope the club can pull one out the bag, but happy with the transfer business overall

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m assuming they’d only let him go to us if we paid a fee and bought him outright and at least they get a bit of cash for him. 

This is exactly what the situation is and since it's teams in the same league they'll want higher to put us off as they know he'd make a big difference to most teams around them in this league. 

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t get why they wouldn’t want him loaned to a championship side, it means he could be taking points off a rival for the title while also not being allowed to play against them so in actual fact weakening us. 

8 hours ago, Thumper said:

I really truly don't want to be negative about everything but that's the first home league fixture after finishing second last season and having beaten these guys in the process. That's barely over Morten's average home gates and easily in the bottom half of the division. There are an enormous number of historic mitigating circumstances here but considering the amount of effort being put into club infrastructure right now you really have to hope that the complete lack of effort in increasing home gates is deliberate until the rebuilding of the north stand.

Yup, it's a shame the club don't have more fans in the town. In the last couple of weeks I've seen plenty of OF tops about town (mostly the blue scum variety) and only one guy in an Ayr Hummel tracky top. I only noticed it as he stood out so much from the usual OF gear. Then to top it all we even have a *** shop in the High Street.

Those of us who choose to follow Ayr and stick two fingers up to the OF glory hunters round here are absolute heroes in my mind. Well done the lot of you.

11 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Ideally yes you're totally right but Liverpool with all their staff and wealth still don't have a settled squad yet, its not a problem exclusive to us.

Even Raith are still looking to add players. One summer window and suddenly they're the team we're all supposed to be copying.

Im not saying to anybody to accept it but I think I've given valid reasons why it happens and moreso at our level of the food chain. 

Dunfermline had 4 players on their bench today, Morton last week were as short. To be told the answer is to sign players earlier just doesn't wash I'm afraid.

Last season we finished in second place and we have also hired a team of staff to assist in recruitment and developing the squad. As it stands our squad is more bottom three than second top albeit our recruitment isn't finished yet. As a club we are looking to progress so it's difficult to understand how we find ourselves with the squad as it currently stands. Early days but there also doesn't seem to be any evolution in terms of fitness or playing style.

The teams you quote also seem to have signed some key players and have a core group that have started to contribute. on the pitch. We may have also signed a few but they don't seem at the stage of being match ready yet. The starting team yesterday probably knocked numbers off our attendance and is difficult to fathom after the momentum generated last season.

Yesterdays win makes it a harder case to argue but many fans should be quite rightly concerned for the season ahead. The pre match comparisons with a league one side weren't far off. Not sure how many 'decent' additions it would take to make this squad competitive. Realistically we will only get a couple so looking like a tough season ahead 

41 minutes ago, Young Eddie said:

Yup, it's a shame the club don't have more fans in the town. In the last couple of weeks I've seen plenty of OF tops about town (mostly the blue scum variety) and only one guy in an Ayr Hummel tracky top. I only noticed it as he stood out so much from the usual OF gear. Then to top it all we even have a *** shop in the High Street.

Those of us who choose to follow Ayr and stick two fingers up to the OF glory hunters round here are absolute heroes in my mind. Well done the lot of you.

It was always quite noticeable but the last few times I've been back in the town it's been very frustrating seeing the sheer number of old firm tops around (no doubt fuelled by the sevco shop on the high street). 95% of these folk would never attend matches and see their contribution to Scottish football to be their Sky or BT or viaplay subscription. Yet still try to goad their team's success over everyone else.  

Crowds want to follow a winning team but we've seen first hand that during very successful seasons in the second tier we've only added maybe a few hundred to the gate at best. 

How do Falkirk and the Pars get the crowds they do? If they're doing stuff that we're not then the club should be following the example. Are they just slightly less impacted by the draw of the old firm?

19 hours ago, Hursty said:

Beginning to think he's a flop and they just don't fancy him

He very clearly wasn't fully match fit when he came on.  We all saw him try move through the gears to press and couldn't get going. 

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Just want to go out of my way to mention that Paddy Reading was very good in yesterday's association football match.  Possibly the man of the match.  

Yeah, so well in fact that it’s started to make me think we have far more pressing concerns in terms of recruitment. 

15 hours ago, United1973 said:

All joking aside going by that terrible performance today how many player do you think we need to bring in 

Like it wasn't a classic or anything I'd call a great performance but I'd really struggle to say we were terrible at any point in the game.  

Enjoyable to watch? No.  

Functional and competent? Yes. 

25 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Just want to go out of my way to mention that Paddy Reading was very good in yesterday's association football match.  Possibly the man of the match.  

Thought the whole defense was really good yesterday, Stanger looks the part so far.

Just now, THEHonestman1910 said:

Thought the whole defense was really good yesterday, Stanger looks the part so far.

Maybe not the whole defense, there were parts of the game where McCalister was essentially playing for Inverness. 

The other three were very good and very seldom made any kind of mistake or looked under pressure.  

10 hours ago, Thumper said:

I really truly don't want to be negative about everything but that's the first home league fixture after finishing second last season and having beaten these guys in the process. That's barely over Morten's average home gates and easily in the bottom half of the division. There are an enormous number of historic mitigating circumstances here but considering the amount of effort being put into club infrastructure right now you really have to hope that the complete lack of effort in increasing home gates is deliberate until the rebuilding of the north stand.

There was discussion a week or two ago with folk trying to claim Raith Rovers didn’t have a bigger core support than us.

They had over 3,000 at their game with Morton yesterday.

16 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Like it wasn't a classic or anything I'd call a great performance but I'd really struggle to say we were terrible at any point in the game.  

Enjoyable to watch? No.  

Functional and competent? Yes. 

All about opinions