The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

I'm not being funny though out of Bryden, Ashford and McKenzie how many goals & assists to do they have between them in the last year?

No way it's even double figures, alarming that they seem satisfied carrying these sorts for another year and if Rose gets injured that's the first 3 names you'd be relying on to fill the void upfront, last year we had the exact same guys including Dipo and Young so if we matched last years amount of strikers we're technically due another. 

Bryden is a bit of an exception as he should be out on loan, still too raw to be at championship level yet.

I agree but we either loan players out or sell them to bring more on, we can’t have 20 odd first team players at the club and only class less than half of those as competent for the Championship. 
Again, our recruitment process, picking up lower league English players is running at a 25% success rate. We can’t keep signing other players because of that

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

I agree but we either loan players out or sell them to bring more on, we can’t have 20 odd first team players at the club and only class less than half of those as competent for the Championship. 
Again, our recruitment process, picking up lower league English players is running at a 25% success rate. We can’t keep signing other players because of that

So far it looks a little better this year - Pendlebury and Amartey both definitely have something to offer. 

Rose remains to be seen, we’ll get a better idea over the next couple of weeks as opposed to today. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

So far it looks a little better this year - Pendlebury and Amartey both definitely have something to offer. 

Rose remains to be seen, we’ll get a better idea over the next couple of weeks as opposed to today. 

I'm not so sure Pendlebury has much to offer - based on today. 

My biggest concern is the middle of the park - although the lack of an effective striker is also worrying.

Rose didn't have much service or support today but he didn't do anything to impress.  We've got plenty of options in wide positions and the defence seems pretty solid (the full backs are not as bad as folk on here make out).  

I like that Bullen tried Musonda sitting in front of the back 2 but it didn't really work.  He wants too much time on the ball and all-too-often his instinct is to play backwards - leading to a punt and inevitably losing possession.  

McGeady was outstanding until he sold the jerseys with the error that ended the game, and Chalmers looked as good as ever when he came on.  That's where our hopes are - but overall not a great performance.

2 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Doesn’t matter as it won’t involve you guys

Not looking likely. I was just wondering if todays defeat means that we write off another calendar year without Ayr having won a major trophy.

What is that? 113 straight years of no major trophies?  By my calculation that works out to an average of 0 major trophies every 113 years. You have to admire your club for consistency if nothing else.

It seems like we have the same issue as last season where we play 1 up top (4-5-1/4-1-4-1) and he’s left isolated or we play two up top (4-4-4-2) but then our Two midfielders get overrun, and we can never make 3-5-2 work.

as for Rose I think we just needs more time Dipo certainly didn’t start off on fire and needed 5-6 games before he started firing in goals, 

and as for signings while I agree we could do with improvements in our fullbacks I feel there are positions that need prioritised (midfield and another striker) and we already have 3 right backs and 2 left backs so unless we manage to offload someone I can’t see us signing more

2 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

It seems like we have the same issue as last season where we play 1 up top (4-5-1/4-1-4-1) and he’s left isolated or we play two up top (4-4-4-2) but then our Two midfielders get overrun, and we can never make 3-5-2 work.

as for Rose I think we just needs more time Dipo certainly didn’t start off on fire and needed 5-6 games before he started firing in goals, 

and as for signings while I agree we could do with improvements in our fullbacks I feel there are positions that need prioritised (midfield and another striker) and we already have 3 right backs and 2 left backs so unless we manage to offload someone I can’t see us signing more

IMO, we just need to sign the correct central midfielder which allows us to control the game better, getting our three in behind in a 4-2-3-1 (when everyone is fit) high up the park, which ensures the striker isn’t isolated. 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

IMO, we just need to sign the correct central midfielder which allows us to control the game better, getting our three in behind in a 4-2-3-1 (when everyone is fit) high up the park, which ensures the striker isn’t isolated. 

4-2-3-1 was something I was looking at and ideally for away at Abroath I would be looking at something like this with McGeady more central but in essentially a free role while having Amartey and Chalmers do most of the running for him

1F7FE743-C54B-440B-8276-A710D23D0DE6.png

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We have never really replaced Mark Kerr, granted that kind of player does not grow on trees, but if we had a midfielder that just controls that middle of the park and does the simple things would make so much difference.

My tupence

1. McGeady is bloody brilliant, I just hope he doesnt get frustrated that the guys around him arent anywhere near his quality

2. George Stanger, hugely impressive, just as good as Alex Kirk last year

3. Never play Musonda in midfield again, we need signings in that position pronto

4. McGinty bloody tried his best by Nouble is a machine! He even threaded through balls for others, he will make Livi a few bob

5. Pendlebury is still a work in progress, not sold on him yet

6. We need another striker, Rose might come good, but with McKenzie and Bryden behind him, we dont have the firepower, Fraser should've taken that chance today

7, Chalmers, sign him up to a 10 year contract, the boy is class and will contribute to this team.

8. David Martindale bloody goes through his players! no cares given

4 hours ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Skilful as f**k. Great to watch. Can still create half a yard of room on the wing like it’s nothing and swung in some inviting balls that no one made use of. Will do a job.

......but cost us a goal.

4 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

We have never really replaced Mark Kerr, granted that kind of player does not grow on trees, but if we had a midfielder that just controls that middle of the park and does the simple things would make so much difference.

Yeah, we won’t get someone as good as that or even someone as good as Ross Docherty but someone in that mould of constantly winning possession and recycling possession wound be grand!

Just now, Caledonian said:

......but cost us a goal.

Yep, spot on, caught in possession, need a dirty bumhole to clear that stuff up behind him

5 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

You'd almost be forgiven for wanting to tell Mr Bullen that we actually lost that game today incase he didn't realise.

Against Premiership opposition, who we didnt look out our depth against in my opinion.

We werent dominated, we werent battered, strong physical side, few more additons, we'll be fine.

Edited by diege

5 minutes ago, diege said:

Against Premiership opposition, who we didnt look out our depth against in my opinion.

We werent dominated, we werent battered, strong physical side, few more additons, we'll be fine.

Our squad is pretty big as it is. I'm delighted Chalmers has signed as he is class. However, we are carrying almost 2 options in every position. That's not going to be cheap.

We need some of the dead wood offloaded. I'm expecting outgoing and incoming. Losing Murdoch & Dempsey exacerbates it so we'll definitely bring in a central midfielder. Thereafter, I fear it'll be 1 out and 1 in.

Edited by Trogdor

2 hours ago, Rb123 said:

I'm not being funny though out of Bryden, Ashford and McKenzie how many goals & assists to do they have between them in the last year?

*last seasons stats

McKenzie: 43 Total Apperances (18 Starts, 25 Sub), 5 Goals, 4 Assists

Ashford: 42 Total Apperances (27 Starts, 15 Sub), 3 Goals, 4 Assists

Bryden: 20 Total Appearances (3 Starts, 17 Sub), 3 Goals, 1 Assist

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Our squad is pretty big as it is. I'm delighted Chalmers has signed as he is class. However, we are carrying almost 2 options in every position. That's not going to be cheap.

We need some of the dead wood offloaded. I'm expecting outgoing and incoming. Losing Murdoch & Dempsey exacerbates it so we'll definitely bring in a central midfielder. Thereafter, I fear it'll be 1 out and 1 in.

Interesting, who would we lose?
Ashford seems the logical option if anyone is interested in him, as he hasnt really been utilised. 

Bryden out on loan seems sensible to me if we find another striker, McKenzie is not a wide player, he could potentially be a casualty?

Depends on what the budget allows us to hold on to ultimately