The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

16 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Yep told that as well, Bowyer wanting to be in charge of who signs, guess who wouldn’t have been happy with that. 

I’ve heard similar about Bowyer but was told it was due to him wanting to bring in his own assistant and Smith not wanting to shell out on two wages. Smith wanting new guy to work with White/Tait. 

46 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

You can agree with the decision to sack him but also be surprised that the board did it given their supposed reluctance to do so.

The notion that employers should not be reluctant to sack their employees (or indeed, as more than half a dozen people have suggested on here, that the owner of a football club should not seek to somehow sack his entire board and staff when a manager does not work out) would seem odd if expressed to real people not on a football forum.

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’ve heard similar about Bowyer but was told it was due to him wanting to bring in his own assistant and Smith not wanting to shell out on two wages. Smith wanting new guy to work with White/Tait. 

I’ll be fucking furious if thats true 

Edited by ComradeDiego

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

The notion that employers should not be reluctant to sack their employees (or indeed, as more than half a dozen people have suggested on here, that the owner of a football club should not seek to somehow sack his entire board and staff when a manager does not work out) would seem odd if expressed to real people not on a football forum.

You know what I mean but carry on.

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’ll be hugely disappointed if Smith’s response wasn’t “you’re 52, what the f**k do you need an assistant for?”

Unless Bullen was plain lying about having the scope to bring in an assistant but deciding against it then I can’t see why the new guy won’t have the opportunity also. 

It may well be that they’d have to wait until the summer but I don’t see why they’d somehow be forced to work with the existing coaching team. 

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

3 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

I’ll be fucking furious if thats true 

Yeah, this. 

It would be pretty wild, so surely isn’t true. We’ll find out soon enough I guess!

I’m not sure what to make of the prospect of Brown as manager. I get the feeling it’ll either be a disaster or amazing. No In between. I’m not sure we have the wiggle room for a project but he has cut his teeth at Fleetwood so is he a project? He would certainly come with the stature and contacts to entice some decent signings. Unless you’re very “staunch” that is.

Probably the idea of Aiden McGeady learning on the job to do the type of job Bowyer has an actual degree in whilst also being his player wouldn't be the most enticing of prospects either.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Probably the idea of Aiden McGeady learning on the job to do the type of job Bowyer has an actual degree in whilst also being his player wouldn't be the most enticing of prospects either.

I think McGeady has been more of an extra coach and loan manager unless he's started taking on more duties now.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We’re going to end up with Brown or Mulgrew because of McGeady. Nothing surer. 

I appreciate these rumours might be well sourced, but it seems unlikely to me that the board would get an experienced manager with a good track record in the door then let talks break down because they thought they knew better than him what was required to be successful.

Most managers will want to sign their own players due to the high sacking odds. The club seem to want a percentage of players coming from a certain background in the hope they can realise a transfer fee. Might be harder to tempt a manager with this approach and more likely looking for a coach. The answer is to bin Glendinning and bring McCall in and do the transfers alongside running the team. Get all the players on longer term contacts so we can bank the cash from any that do well. We can then compare and contrast the profits with the existing structure  

Scott Brown as manger would certainly raise the profile of the club and you would think it would attract a higher standard of player when you can sell playing under the former Scotland captain but would those players be best for the club or would it be the auld pals act.

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Scott Brown as manger would certainly raise the profile of the club and you would think it would attract a higher standard of player when you can sell playing under the former Scotland captain but would those players be best for the club or would it be the auld pals act.

I don’t see any manager bringing any players in that would spite themselves tbh! 

Brown absolutely isn't my first choice but I'd be fine with it. Seemed to do OK at Fleetwood, obviously has a lot of experience and contacts in the game, and would surely bring some decent players in. If he can bring in Whittaker as his assistant then he would surely help tighten up the defence too.

Wouldn't want Mulgrew though, we need a manager with at least some experience which is why I think we'll go for Brown as he strikes a balance between a young manager which the board will want and experience.

8 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

NUMBER 3 WILL SHOCK YOU! How Ayr United could lineup in 24/25 under Scott Brown.

Screenshot_20240118_193256_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d600660fd744757c789168b390ec474f.jpg

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

NUMBER 3 WILL SHOCK YOU! How Ayr United could lineup in 24/25 under Scott Brown.

Screenshot_20240118_193256_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d600660fd744757c789168b390ec474f.jpg

That defence has comfortably seen off 3 managers (+1 for Reading).  Surely we are gonna move away from them in the summer :lol: