The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Hazbart said:

We definitely look at the McCall signings with rose-tinted glasses now. 

For every Laurence Shankland there is a Kris Doolan. For every Michael Rose, there is a Sam Roscoe and for every Liam Smith there’s a David Ferguson.

Then we have guys like McKenna & Nesbit who went on to have very good careers but were definitely in the miss rather than the hit column at Ayr.

McCall's hit rate was better than the current recruitment. I dont think that is rose tinted. A lot of that is down to the market. Ironically, signing non-league jobbers from down south, isn't even a cheap option.

It is considered sensible from a business model point of view. Sign them on frees, a good season up here and sell them on. Make a bit of money through 'player trading'. I get the principle and maybe if 1 in every 8 is like Dipo it works? 

Edit - As an aside I'd take David Ferguson at right back over Nick fucking McAllister! That's for sure.

Edited by Trogdor

Just now, Trogdor said:

McCall's hit rate was better than the current recruitment. I dont think that is rose tinted. A lot of that is down to the market. Ironically, signing non-league jobbers from down south, isn't even a cheap option.

It is considered sensible from a business model. Sign them on frees, a good season up here and sell them on. Make a bit of money through 'player trading'. I get the principle and maybe if 1 in every 8 is like Dipo it works? 

Edit - As an aside I'd take David Ferguson at right back over Nick fucking McAllister! That's for sure.

I think the biggest issue we’ve had since McCall left is the turnover in the squads. It’s back to the old days of a full rebuild every year.

He did well to keep a quality core together so only needed to add a couple. 

After Hopkin/Duffy, Bullen needed to pretty much do a full rebuild last season. We then needed to do another in the summer.

Its unrealistic to expect to be able to do this and everyone work out.

We’ve obviously had a nightmare with some of the newbies coming in on 2 year deals and flopping.

Broonie obviously sees something in some and nothing in others.

He maybe looks at McKenzie and Bryden and feels he can do something with them.

Rose, obviously not.

He managed to get more of a tune out of Paddy on Saturday after only 1 week.

I’m optimistic and I’m looking forward to what the coaching will do to change this team up, and that’s before any new additions.

The dice have been rolled and time will tell.  Strap yourself in and enjoy - life’s too short.

Spoiler

Still waiting to see my team play in the top flight before I die 😩

While I'm somewhat underwhelmed with the 2 signings yesterday, I'd still say there's a good argument that we are in a stronger position than we were on 1st January, which is at least progress from last January.    Arguments for that:

* it's obviously very early days but I'm more confident with Brown and Whittaker than with Bullen

* I'd expect Willoughby to be at least the same level as Rose, always the hope he's an improvement

* similarly, McHugh is presumably a similar level to Senga / Young, and if we are lucky might even be better ar RB than Ahui

* Sanders seems a solid signing who we know from his Killie spell is easily capable of playing this level.  

* we didn't lose anyone who will be massively hard to replace like we did with Chalmers last year. 

* we 'might' still be looking to add others in February once the manager has had more of a look at what he's got.  I had thought there was a maximum of 5 loans allowed but from what I've read on here that's not the case 

Had a look at the attached list NareysToePoke posted on Twitter and we are clearly in a similar boat to a lot of teams at our level in throwing darts at young guys on loan from down South and hoping for a bit of luck.   

Screenshot_20240202_082204_X.jpg

Edited by Hursty

15 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Hopefully see most of this squad emptied in the summer.

Ditto. I'm sick of the sight of some of them. Stinking the place out for seasons now. 

We will have another rebuild in the summer, McCallister, Reading, McGinty, Musonda and Murdoch are all out of contract. Chalmers, Dowds and the three new guys are on loan. That is the guts of a squad all potentially out the door. With our current batting average of about 20% on signing decent players over dross, it doesn’t bode well. 

A summer window can sell season tickets and build expectations. Doing good business early and setting people’s minds at rest rather than signing half a dozen English non league players and then raking bins in September. 

5 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Would be surprised if we didn’t see another couple of bodies through the door today

Unless they have been training with us all week, they probably wouldn’t start anyway. Not sure on the registration requirements for the Scottish cup as well. Both games are kind of free hits we aren’t expected to win so they might decide to save 2 weeks wages and get the Rangers money in the bank before getting players in later in the month. 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Unless they have been training with us all week, they probably wouldn’t start anyway. Not sure on the registration requirements for the Scottish cup as well. Both games are kind of free hits we aren’t expected to win so they might decide to save 2 weeks wages and get the Rangers money in the bank before getting players in later in the month. 

Disagree that these games are free hits. I'm expecting two victories and will accept nothing less.

41 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

We will have another rebuild in the summer, McCallister, Reading, McGinty, Musonda and Murdoch are all out of contract. Chalmers, Dowds and the three new guys are on loan. That is the guts of a squad all potentially out the door. With our current batting average of about 20% on signing decent players over dross, it doesn’t bode well. 

A summer window can sell season tickets and build expectations. Doing good business early and setting people’s minds at rest rather than signing half a dozen English non league players and then raking bins in September. 

We will have a new stand also to help shift season tickets. Your point about turnover is accurate

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Both are winnable.

I'd be very disappointed if we did not at least attempt to win both.

Aye, but if we don’t win them, I don’t think anyone would be concerned, if we lost to Arbroath for instance, that would have been concerning. 

I think we will be closer to Dundee United than we have been this season and the Rangers game, you never know(well, you do but there is always hope) 

54 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

We will have another rebuild in the summer, McCallister, Reading, McGinty, Musonda and Murdoch are all out of contract. Chalmers, Dowds and the three new guys are on loan

If i recall did McGinty not sign a 2 year extension last season?

Living away from home in a different country , adapting to different style of league and being out of sorts but potentially having a future value in the game. These are quite restrictive parameters to be used as a starting point on top of the other qualities needed in finding players. Can't imagine many scottish managers auto selecting this path with a view to making their life easier. 

Perhaps it's about striking a balance and making sure there are enough starting players from the local leagues. Something to be said for McCall/Imrie looking for out of sort players and getting them back on track. Will be interested to see if dropping down a division gets Rose playing