The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I like Lewis, known him since he was about 5, but I don't see him forcing a start past Dowds/Oakley. Maybe Raith were able to offer more opportunity to play?

i do actually wonder if we plan on bringing in another striker?, i know we are loaning out Bryden, but i've noticed in his couple of cameos off the bench we've been playing Walker up front, makes me wonder if we're considering trying him as a more smaller quicker striker with the main 4 being Dowds, Oakley, Walker and McKenzie with McRoberts being the option when Injuries/suspensions happen

(i still think the priority is another Centre mid)

Edited by muZZa__44

9 hours ago, muZZa__44 said:

i do actually wonder if we plan on bringing in another striker?, i know we are loaning out Bryden, but i've noticed in his couple of cameos off the bench we've been playing Walker up front, makes me wonder if we're considering trying him as a more smaller quicker striker with the main 4 being Dowds, Oakley, Walker and McKenzie with McRoberts being the option when Injuries/suspensions happen

(i still think the priority is another Centre mid)

We've changed shape whenever Walker has come on, more like last year's 4231 with him playing behind the striker.  

A lot of stuff is ignored when results are good, three wins out of three, playing Raith then Dunfermline who are both going threw off-field issues, the latter is also struggling with results, there is an air of confidence that I haven’t felt since the McCall/Shankland era. 

The comedown could be huge if we lose easily in the coming weeks, the realisation that we weren’t actually that good and the season could be harder, players who were getting away with it then become scapegoats/spacegoats etc.

to get in front of it, where do people think we should improve? 

For me, right back is an issue, Musonda has been ok/getting away with it for a few weeks, McCallister isn’t great so a lot of the burden is on Watret to continue to impress.

Stone hasn’t conceded much, made too many mistakes but still doesn’t look like a confident goalkeeper. He’s had very few saves to make but I’d like to see the ratio of shots on target and goals scored. 

The midfield is too light, an injury and a sending off could mean McCallister or McKenzie having to play there. 

Up front, again, there are not a lot of goals behind Oakley and Dowds if those two aren’t firing. But where do you get a 10-15 goal championship forward to sit on our bench? 

It’s a long way from just hoping Dipo doesn’t get injured and he out-scores the opposition. 

13 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

A lot of stuff is ignored when results are good, three wins out of three, playing Raith then Dunfermline who are both going threw off-field issues, the latter is also struggling with results, there is an air of confidence that I haven’t felt since the McCall/Shankland era. 

The comedown could be huge if we lose easily in the coming weeks, the realisation that we weren’t actually that good and the season could be harder, players who were getting away with it then become scapegoats/spacegoats etc.

to get in front of it, where do people think we should improve? 

For me, right back is an issue, Musonda has been ok/getting away with it for a few weeks, McCallister isn’t great so a lot of the burden is on Watret to continue to impress.

Stone hasn’t conceded much, made too many mistakes but still doesn’t look like a confident goalkeeper. He’s had very few saves to make but I’d like to see the ratio of shots on target and goals scored. 

The midfield is too light, an injury and a sending off could mean McCallister or McKenzie having to play there. 

Up front, again, there are not a lot of goals behind Oakley and Dowds if those two aren’t firing. But where do you get a 10-15 goal championship forward to sit on our bench? 

It’s a long way from just hoping Dipo doesn’t get injured and he out-scores the opposition. 

I think the goalkeeper is absolutely fine tbh. He had a shaky game against Dundee United away but other than that I can think of anything else wrong he’s done. Still think we need a centre mid and a striker. The difficulty we have is trying to find players to come in known they will likely be back up as I can’t see Brown dropping the likes of Oakley, Dowds, Rus or Dempsey. Signing someone like Liam Grimshaw makes so much sense. He can be the back up centre mid and right back for any injuries/if Watreat loses form which hopefully he doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

I think Henderson, Rus and Murphy will chip in with a few goals from midfield. That's something we've lacked in recent seasons. I do think we need to plan for what we do if Dowds or Oakley is injured, though. We'd ideally want to keep our shape but apart from McKenzie, who hasn't played up front for ages, we don't have another big, physical type.

We've scored 19 goals so far and 8 have been Oakley/Dowds so getting goals from different places for sure. Still would like another striker though, especially with Bryden going.

Harry Stone needs to improve his kicking. That would be my biggest criticism so far. Think he commands his box better than any of the keepers we had last year though. He's a young goalie though so always going to be things to work on. I've been largely pleased with him

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

think the goalkeeper is absolutely fine tbh. He had a shaky game against Dundee United away but other than that I can think of anything else wrong he’s done. Still think we need a centre mid and a striker. The difficulty we have is trying to find players to come in known they will likely be back up as I can’t see Brown dropping the likes of Oakley, Dowds, Rus or Dempsey. Signing someone like Liam Grimshaw makes so much sense. He can be the back up centre mid and right back for any injuries/if Watreat loses form which hopefully he doesn’t. 

I think the Grimshaw shout is a pretty good one . I think we’ll drop into a 451 for certain games ,so another midfielder would be a must . One that can play right back would be a huge bonus as Frankie is a 20 game guy and young Watret could well be moved on sooner rather than later, as a number of clubs a circling! 

I looked up his wiki and it said he’s married to a Scottish girl so he might well be on these shores and looking for a club. 

He played twenty odd games for Cypriot Premier League club last season. It was actually the Cypriot club that Neil Lennon was at. Maybe he gave Broony a heads up. 

Brings a good bit of experience to the centre of the park and also has the bonus of knowing the game here from his Morton years. Probably fairly low risk as at worst he'd be a backup. 

Just now, Hawk89 said:

Brings a good bit of experience to the centre of the park and also has the bonus of knowing the game here from his Morton years. Probably fairly low risk as at worst he'd be a backup. 

Am I the only one with the fear that this could potentially be another Bangala?

Just now, Roxanne's man said:

Am I the only one with the fear that this could potentially be another Bangala?

He was clearly a recommendation from someone that thought Bullen had shat in their cornflakes.