The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I didn’t actually see Hamilton today but I’m surprised he’s still here. Devlin made the bench today as well so I don’t think we really need Hamilton especially if Howley is signing. 

I think he had the number 30 shorts on today. Was doing running with Guthrie and then both joined the subs + Hislop for the rest of the warm up. Unless he  got injured with us during pre season it does seem unclear why he'd still be here if we weren't interested.

Both Angelini and him wouldn't really be priority signings though.

22 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

You're all getting far too carried away for 4 games into the season..

Much better to be like the guys next to me in first half right on the half way line that thought we were 'abysmal'  'horrific'   'clueless' and just 'same auld pish' because we weren't getting the ball shelled up the park quick enough 

Edited by Hursty

2 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Much better to be like the guys next to me in first half right on the half way line that thought we were 'abysmal'  'horrific'   'clueless' and just 'same auld pish' because we weren't getting the ball shelled up the park quick enough 

Were you in the Raith end?

4 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Doesn't have to be one extreme or the other.

7 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Doesn't have to be one extreme or the other.

Aye it wasn't a dig as such, just seemed a good one to quote for my mini rant.

Although I do think that this team looks absolutely light years ahead of any Ayr team of the last decade or so so I don't blame folk for getting excited.   Already 12 points off bottom...

I don't think it's getting carried away to suggest that this team has some characteristics that we haven't seen for a while. Last week showed resilience. The Airdrie game showed there's some real attacking threat and this week was highly professional. We'll lose some along the way but I've no doubt we're good enough to be in the mix this season and, unlike 2 years ago, we won't be relying on one player to help sustain the challenge.

1 hour ago, Iain said:

This unlocked a core memory for me, standing at my grandparents’ house in Prestwick with my Dad showing me the league table on Ceefax and Ayr being at the top. 

I so miss ceefax. And the anticipation of the scrolling league score scenario. 

Edited by shizzlemanizzle

If we were riding our luck then I wouldn’t be as optimistic as I am. The fact that we’ve won 4/4 whilst being comfortably the better team and only really having one iffy 20 minutes against Accies at Somerset tells me that this team can do something this season. Our pressing is absolutely spot on and I can’t recall a season where we’ve made so many signings and they’ve all started to contribute from the off (Devlin aside but we know the story there). 

I think if Brown wants to add another two then no one has any right to moan about our summer business and we shouldn’t be worried about squad depth either. 

19 minutes ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

I so

miss ceefax. And thi anticipation of the scrolling league score scenario. 

It sits alongside getting incredibly excited when we had the featured match in the division in the Sunday papers roundup and therefore got more than two paragraphs of a match report.

34 minutes ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

I so miss ceefax. And the anticipation of the scrolling league score scenario. 

I've memories of being a teenager and heading into town after the game to watch the results on Ceefax at the TV shop at the Fish Cross on the way to the train station.

Kids these days just take mobile phones for granted.

Wasn't at the game today but it sounded an improved watch over last week, against a good team (albeit with 10 men) we were comfortably the better side and didn't look in any danger.

I'm not going to be massively carried away here but there is a big degree of expectation with the squad we've got now. 4 wins from 4 is brilliant and we should be going onto win next Saturday too. 

With the squad we've got, the brand of football being played and when you look at the rest of the league, provided another 2 or 3 signings, we should be at least top 2 this season.

2 hours ago, Iain said:

This unlocked a core memory for me, standing at my grandparents’ house in Prestwick with my Dad showing me the league table on Ceefax and Ayr being at the top. 

For some reason your post made me remember watching Ayr United training on the playing fields outside my grandparents old house back in about 1993 or 94.

I was more interested in Thomas the Tank Engine and Hot Wheels cars than football back then though.