Kieran Tierney

I think Tierney should have played against Man City. 

Obviously I'm bias but even if he didn't play for Arsenal at all I would still think Arteta's setup against City was nonsense. How are you going to beat them setting up like a tribute act? He desperately needed to switch it up.

On 28/04/2023 at 20:46, Bing.McCrosby said:

And he would probably have played better, and lasted the whole game had he been playing more regularly. Its amazing you haven't accepted this yet.

Is this one of those periods where you're not pretending to ignore my posts?

Bit sad you don't have the self control to follow through on it.

12 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Nuanced thought must hurt like hell for binary brains like you.

Where exactly has there been nuanced thought?

On 30/04/2023 at 09:58, Satoshi said:

Where exactly has there been nuanced thought?

Nowhere in your succession of tedious, intransigent posts.

The false assertion that anyone who is unhappy about Tierney's situation at Arsenal must necessarily also be raging when he does well for Scotland - where does that come from? It's only in your head, I'm afraid.

Same as how anyone who tries to employ a bit of critical thinking about the national team is a 'self-loathing Scot'. It's so, so, so boring and the repetition adds nothing at all to the discussion.

Edited by Gordopolis

While too long-winded and containing the occasional ad hominem arguments, I think points raised by @Satoshi I agree in general with and basically oppose poster overreacting to short term situations and try and take a situation in context. Too many people on this board go miles over the top to perceived setbacks with knee jerk reactions around Tierney, Gilmour, McTominay, Clarke being to name a few examples and the old expectations against reality debates. 

So I'd say the content is okay but the delivery could be more succinct.

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

While too long-winded and containing the occasional ad hominem arguments, I think points raised by @Satoshi I agree in general with and basically oppose poster overreacting to short term situations and try and take a situation in context. Too many people on this board go miles over the top to perceived setbacks with knee jerk reactions around Tierney, Gilmour, McTominay, Clarke being to name a few examples and the old expectations against reality debates. 

So I'd say the content is okay but the delivery could be more succinct.

People saying it would be good for Scotland if players who are important for us were playing more is hardly overreacting. Or criticism of the player.

All the players you mention have hardly played at club level, it would be better for us if they had been playing. They would be fitter and better.

In terms of context Satoshi as @Gordopolis points out very succinctly is consistently miles off the mark. And seems to be having some kind of imaginary debate.

Edited by Bing.McCrosby

11 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Nowhere in your succession of tedious, intransigent posts.

The false assertion that anyone who is unhappy about Tierney's situation at Arsenal must necessarily also be raging when he does well for Scotland - where does that come from? It's only in your head, I'm afraid. Same as how anyone who tries to employ a bit of critical thinking about the national team is a 'self-loathing Scot'. It's so, so, so boring and the repetition adds nothing at all to the discussion.

This is a wild distortion, I have never said anyone who is unhappy about Tierney's situation or employs critical thinking is a self hating Scot.

Any post in that respect is aimed at the genuine self hating Scots, if you aren't one then it isn't aimed at you. If you are unhappy with Tierney's situation whilst acknowledging it doesn't seem to have negatively affected his international career then it probably isn't directed at you.

If you're distorting statistics to prove he is third choice left back (when he isn't) then it's probably aimed at you.

People need to stop searching for something to be offended by. There is a significant minority of posters on this forum who constantly attack our players and national team, I have no qualms calling out their nonsense. The forum would be a better place if more people did it.

Also a good laugh when Bing thinks I am wide of the mark, the forums Ralph Wiggum who wanted Steve Clarke sacked and repeatedly fails in his attempts to ignore my posts. It's always a good indication you are on the right side of something if Ralph Wiggum is opposing you.

Edited by Satoshi

Zinchenko is a big reason for why Arsenal have managed to challenge for the title this season. He's also contributed to a few of their recent faults, but I think Arteta will see it as a net positive given they'll almost certainly finish three places higher than pre-Zinchenko.

Yes this is a Scotland forum and so we want to see KT playing for Arsenal and we don't give two shits about Zinchenko but it's just silly imo.

As soon as results stop meeting expectations then these kind of arguments (normally interest-led) come back fiercely such as not playing a midfielder as a defender or questions about formations, Arteta's been found out blah blah blah. I think it's mostly rubbish, so instead of saying Zinchenko has contributed massively to Arsenal pushing to win the league it morphs into Zinchenko has contributed massively to Arsenal not being able to get over the line.

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Zinchenko is a big reason for why Arsenal have managed to challenge for the title this season. He's also contributed to a few of their recent faults, but I think Arteta will see it as a net positive given they'll almost certainly finish three places higher than pre-Zinchenko.

He's also been a big reason why they can't keep a clean sheet anymore. He's becoming a liability in all honesty. Arteta should consider putting him back into midfield, would suit playing in the Xhaka role bursting through the centre-left part of the pitch.

29 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

He's also been a big reason why they can't keep a clean sheet anymore. He's becoming a liability in all honesty. Arteta should consider putting him back into midfield, would suit playing in the Xhaka role bursting through the centre-left part of the pitch.

I think Carragher summed this up quite simply when talking about Alexander-Arnold; something along the lines of "he doesn't need to be the best defender in the world, he just can't be a liability." If the control Zinchenko brings (or the creativity TAA provides) is no longer worth chucking in a goal a game then questions should be asked, but I still think Arsenal's LB and LCM positions are both filled by the appropriate players.

Tierney would actually probably do really well in White's role if Arteta flipped the full-back's instructions. 

17 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Tierney would actually probably do really well in White's role if Arteta flipped the full-back's instructions. 

It crossed my mind if Tierney would get a chance at right-back if they moved Ben White inside (who I’m sure was always at centre-half before this season) to avoid having to play Rob Holding, but it sounds like far too much re-jigging for someone like Arteta.

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

It crossed my mind if Tierney would get a chance at right-back if they moved Ben White inside (who I’m sure was always at centre-half before this season) to avoid having to play Rob Holding, but it sounds like far too much re-jigging for someone like Arteta.

He moved right back Tomiyasu to left back a few times (ahead of Tierney).

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Yes this is a Scotland forum and so we want to see KT playing for Arsenal and we don't give two shits about Zinchenko but it's just silly imo.

As soon as results stop meeting expectations then these kind of arguments (normally interest-led) come back fiercely such as not playing a midfielder as a defender or questions about formations, Arteta's been found out blah blah blah. I think it's mostly rubbish, so instead of saying Zinchenko has contributed massively to Arsenal pushing to win the league it morphs into Zinchenko has contributed massively to Arsenal not being able to get over the line.

The point is that Zinchenko has contributed massively to both.

The system got them to where they are but it’s also been Arteta’s failure to be able to change it when needed, which was when teams worked out how defensively awful Zinchenko is, and that’s contributed to a big part of Arsenal falling back.

19 hours ago, Jambomo said:

The point is that Zinchenko has contributed massively to both.

The system got them to where they are but it’s also been Arteta’s failure to be able to change it when needed, which was when teams worked out how defensively awful Zinchenko is, and that’s contributed to a big part of Arsenal falling back.

Fair enough. I'd have to look into the risk/reward of playing Zinchenko over Tierney which I don't want to spend the time doing at the moment.

Without that knowledge I think it might be an oversimplification, definately self interest led and not taking into account positive aspects that Zinchenko has brought to Arsenal even in their recent run of disappointing results.

Seperately, I remember a while back a few people saying they'd like to see KT used in midfield to facilitate a back-4 and I wonder if his season at Arsenal would add to that discussion given the trend of giving full backs more midfield responsibilities.

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Zinchenko out for the last 3 games of the season so good news for Tierney.

Or bad if you subscribe to the 'Tierney plays more games is bad for him' theory.

Woo

5 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Zinchenko out for the last 3 games of the season so good news for Tierney.

Or bad if you subscribe to the 'Tierney plays more games is bad for him' theory.

Arteta will probably have some mental idea and play Matt Turner as LB or just decide not to bother with one at all.