Best chip shop

NJ2

39 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

My local! emoji106.png

Is it still as good? I left Carronshore in the mid 90s so my visits were few and far between after that but any time I went back I was never disappointed. Last visit was when I was over in 2015 and at that point the skankiest chippy would still have tasted like nectar so it's difficult to be objective.

I always found that one in Anstruther a bitter disappointment and massively overrated. Despite that, I'd give my right tit for one from there right now. Sausage supper. Salt and vinegar. Plenty broon. Naw, mare than that. Buttered roll. And aye, better throw a bottle of Bru in there an aw.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it still as good? I left Carronshore in the mid 90s so my visits were few and far between after that but any time I went back I was never disappointed. Last visit was when I was over in 2015 and at that point the skankiest chippy would still have tasted like nectar so it's difficult to be objective. I always found that one in Anstruther a bitter disappointment and massively overrated. Despite that, I'd give my right tit for one from there right now. Sausage supper. Salt and vinegar. Plenty broon. Naw, mare than that. Buttered roll. And aye, better throw a bottle of Bru in there an aw.

Joe & Maria are retired now but other folk from their family are running it. I don’t go too often, maybe once or twice a month, but I’ve certainly no complaints. Spicy haggis supper. Salt & vinegar. Couple of pickled onions.

The only other chippy in Falkirk I’d say was definitely better and I would occasionally visit is Moscardinis.

Don’t get the love some folk have for Benny T’s. Chips have always been pale, tasteless and seem half cooked.

Don't often go to a chip shop but recently visited the Marine in Girvan and the sausage supper was superb.   It's the chips that make the difference between the good and the bad for me.  These were fresh and crisp and not at all greasy.

On a side note, the biker type behind me in the queue ordered just a coffee.  This was at five on a Saturday afternoon.  The fifteen-odd folk queuing out the door for their dinner did not look amused.

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I wouldn’t want to live in a Scotland where everybody calls chippers chippies.

The civilised people of Scotland have noted your objection and safely filed it in the bin marked 'cretinous bumpkin idioms'. 

Guest Moomintroll

Not that it will help anybody but Park Fish Bar in Ellesmere Port do great chips. In common with every chippie in England however their sausage suppers are rank, don't even start me on my craving for fritters, scallops can get in the f**king sea.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

It must have improved since I lived along the road from it from 2009-2012. 

L'Alba D'oro is the best I've been to in Edinburgh. I've got a soft spot for Francos, though.

Just across the road from me. Their pizzas are pretty good as well.

Franco's is a pretty decent shout as well, ordered stuff from there a few times, usually go between there and Angelo's on Lochend Road.

I'm also partial to something from the Mermaid on Leith Walk and Giuliano's opposite the Playhouse. I heard the Tailend on Leith Walk has shut down, might be wrong about that, though.

6 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Edinburgh is 80% English b*****ds and 20% junkies so probably know nothing about good chips.

For the chipper crew - do you call it a chipper supper?

Chipper is up there with granda in the tedi standings.

At the risk of having the piss ripped royally out of me - what is a chippie/chipper supper? The supper part indicates that there will chips.

In other news - whoever runs the official Dundee City Council twitter obviously frequents p and b as they've started a chippie vs chipper poll. 

43 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Of course, those who voted for independence and to stay in the EU know that you get a chippy from the chipper.

In actual fact use of the term 'chipper' closely overlaps with areas that both i) were complete and utter No-voting shitebags in the referendum and ii) avoted for Tories in the 2017 election - hick towns from the north east of the country then. All we need is some correlation to 'bottling matches against Glasgow teams' then for it to be safely isolated in its bumpkin stomping ground and purged. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

In actual fact use of the term 'chipper' closely overlaps with areas that both i) were complete and utter No-voting shitebags in the referendum and ii) avoted for Tories in the 2017 election - hick towns from the north east of the country then. All we need is some correlation to 'bottling matches against Glasgow teams' then for it to be safely isolated in its bumpkin stomping ground and purged. 

Next you’ll be telling us Greenock isn’t on the West Coast.

56 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Not that it will help anybody but Park Fish Bar in Ellesmere Port do great chips. In common with every chippie in England however their sausage suppers are rank, don't even start me on my craving for fritters, scallops can get in the f**king sea.

ISWYDT

Guest Moomintroll
 ISWYDT
Not those type unfortunately Kincy, more the potato based abominations that infest chippies down here. It was a good line that only ocurred to me after I typed it.

Archived