Best chip shop

NJ2

15 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
26 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:
 ISWYDT

Not those type unfortunately Kincy, more the potato based abominations that infest chippies down here. It was a good line that only ocurred to me after I typed it.

Sorry, Moomsy, I'd no idea that 'scallops' was a term for some 'potato based abomination' served (I assume from an earlier post) in Stevie Ger Country England's Northwest.  I had fish and chips at the weekend with my wee yin and we had whitebait and scallops to start with.  Which brings me to my substantive point on this thread:

Unless you buy a fish supper in a scenic location, ideally coastal, and eat it outdoors whilst admiring the views/fending off the seagulls then fish and chips is the worst takeaway imaginable.  Ten minutes in the styrofoam and paper packaging and the whole thing is fucking ruined.

Unlike revenge, F&C is a best best served hot - and straight from the fryer. 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Moomintroll
Sorry, Moomsy, I'd no idea that 'scallops' was a term for some 'potato based abomination' served (I assume from an earlier post) in Stevie Ger Country England's Northwest.  I had fish and chips at the weekend with my wee yin and we had whitebait and scallops to start with.  Which brings me to my substantive point on this thread:
Unless you buy a fish supper in a scenic location, ideally coastal, and eat it outdoors whilst admiring the views/fending off the seagulls then fish and chips is the worst takeaway imaginable.  Ten minutes in the styrofoam and paper packaging and the whole thing is fucking ruined.
Unlike revenge, F&C is a best best served hot - and straight from the fryer. 
I can wax lyrical on a few great chippies in Scotland, albeit from an historical perspective, however if you have never had to partake of the "delicacy" that are potato scallops from a Northwest chippie then you are truly blessed ( no pun). Fish and chips are always best at the coast as long as you can shake off the scavenging monochrome hordes, but enough about Ayr United....

If you take a wee drive , half an hour or so , down the coast from Edinburgh, to Port Seton, Benes chip shop has queues out the door most nights. Would seriously recommend the special fish, enormous haddock fried in breadcrumbs. Does me and the good lady wife with a portion of chips each. A belt loosener. Been to Anstruther and other highly recommend shops but Benes always gets repeat visits. [emoji106][emoji106]

[mention=30544]J_Stewart[/mention] what do you call it?

As a sophisticated, cultured highlander from the Promised Land of Golspie, I of course call it a chipper. Calling a purveyor of fish and chips a “chippy” is the hallmark of the uneducated reprobate, in the same vein as saying “eggy dip dip”, “Tommy soup” or inexplicably ending sentences with “, but”. I pity them more than anything.

Not sure if it’s still as good, but The Trawler in Golspie was a sensational chipper for a good while, think it was voted second or third in Scotland a few years ago.

46 minutes ago, HI HAT said:

If you take a wee drive , half an hour or so , down the coast from Edinburgh, to Port Seton, Benes chip shop has queues out the door most nights. Would seriously recommend the special fish, enormous haddock fried in breadcrumbs. Does me and the good lady wife with a portion of chips each. A belt loosener. Been to Anstruther and other highly recommend shops but Benes always gets repeat visits. emoji106.pngemoji106.png

Yeah but they have opened a Benes in Dalkeith. It is, to be polite, not very nice.

1 hour ago, HI HAT said:

If you take a wee drive , half an hour or so , down the coast from Edinburgh, to Port Seton, Benes chip shop has queues out the door most nights. Would seriously recommend the special fish, enormous haddock fried in breadcrumbs. Does me and the good lady wife with a portion of chips each. A belt loosener. Been to Anstruther and other highly recommend shops but Benes always gets repeat visits. emoji106.pngemoji106.png

Only because there's f**k all else there. 

On 01/06/2018 at 20:52, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

This belongs in here I suppose.

Some absolute deviants out there tbh.

IMG_20180601_204648.thumb.jpg.c91ab588f677b64a49924c2517ecd3e6.jpg

Further proof that Inverness and its hinterlands are just wronguns.

And mushy peas are not a fucking sauce.

Guest Moomintroll
Further proof that Inverness and its hinterlands are just wronguns.
And mushy peas are not a fucking sauce.
And mushrooms do not, a supper make.

On 01/06/2018 at 14:49, Dindeleux said:

For the chipper crew - do you call it a chipper supper?

Why would you want chips with chips?

The Chipper crew was also a small but tough gang from Woodside, Aberdeen in the 80's and 90's.

I can recommend a Chip Shop to avoid, The Lido, Helensburgh.

£2.90 for a handful of rank, shrivelled tatties masquerading as chips. Used to be decent years ago.

:thumbsdown

Contrast that with Silverton Chippy, Dumbarton where a quid more will get you a very good quality, 1-piece of Haddock & Chips.

If you can manage the large 2-Fish Supper it's £5.80.

Are there any chippys in the Motherland who keep the skin on one side of the Haddock prior to cooking it.

The manky c***s down here do.

Just why????

Also are are there any Edinburgh folk who know the real story behind chippy broon sauce?

Have heard vinegar (or water) is added to gold star? broon sauce, but can't get hold of the said product to have a go.

HP brown sauce on a chippy is for bent shots and Waitrose shoppers imo. 

For me the worst fish and chips I've had is at Corbie's at Davidson Mains.

The two best is the one in Fochabers and Smiffy's in Aviemore.

I had fish and chips once by the sea at Fremantle in a place called Joe's, wasn't the same but it was good.

On 6/1/2018 at 22:52, HI HAT said:

A cheap date?  And a double act.

Archived