Best chip shop

NJ2

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
+1 for Corbie’s. The word Rank does not even come close.

Is that the one on the road off Quality Street heading toward Poorhouse? If yes, then make that another +1 for rank! Made the mistake of stopping here one night on a call out a few years ago.

Not sure of the road names but it sits on a corner by a junction. It was not fish that I had, it was grease filled white pudding supper and all the chips were just the scraps from the bottom of the fryer. I was quite far away back at the job when I opened it and I couldn’t be arsed taking it all the way back to complain. Live and learn though.

Not sure of the road names but it sits on a corner by a junction. It was not fish that I had, it was grease filled white pudding supper and all the chips were just the scraps from the bottom of the fryer. I was quite far away back at the job when I opened it and I couldn’t be arsed taking it all the way back to complain. Live and learn though.

Aye, it is that one. Just googled it.

No fish for me either (don’t like it) but the sausage and chips were simply disgusting and a note-to-self was made to never go back.

4 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

Are there any chippys in the Motherland who keep the skin on one side of the Haddock prior to cooking it.

The manky c***s down here do.

Just why????

Also are are there any Edinburgh folk who know the real story behind chippy broon sauce?

Have heard vinegar (or water) is added to gold star? broon sauce, but can't get hold of the said product to have a go.

HP brown sauce on a chippy is for bent shots and Waitrose shoppers imo. 

Asda sell large bottles of the GoldStar brown sauce for £1, doesnae taste so great tbh. Maybe needs further watering down with vinegar?  

HP brown goes very well with a White Pudding supper though. :wub:

Skin left on the haddock is just wrong & should be outlawed 

10 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Skin left on the haddock is just wrong & should be outlawed 

Is it haddock though? I love haddock like virtually nothing else and I could eat it everyday. When it comes to cod though, and I know it comes from almost the same family, I refuse to touch it. Wetherspoons in Scotland sell haddock for their fish and chips whereas in England they sell cod. I once, unknowingly, had the cod and that had the skin still on it under the batter. It was disgusting. I have never seen skin on a haddock before but I think it is often left on cod fish suppers.

1 minute ago, LincolnHearts said:

Corbies used to be good years ago (early 90's) lad that ran it was Paolo Crolla I think.

Was it always called Corbies for any of our older viewers?

Been Corbies for at least 40 years. Whether it has been the same owners though, not sure.

5 minutes ago, supermik said:

Is it haddock though? I love haddock like virtually nothing else and I could eat it everyday. When it comes to cod though, and I know it comes from almost the same family, I refuse to touch it. Wetherspoons in Scotland sell haddock for their fish and chips whereas in England they sell cod. I once, unknowingly, had the cod and that had the skin still on it under the batter. It was disgusting. I have never seen skin on a haddock before but I think it is often left on cod fish suppers.

You may well be right.

Whatever the species it's a completely unacceptable practice.

Aye, cod is honking.

13 hours ago, Silverton End said:

You may well be right.

Whatever the species it's a completely unacceptable practice.

Aye, cod is honking.

Cod is a bottom feeder, we bought some fresh years back that had been caught on the West Coast off Mull, we noticed some worm in the flesh and were told that as they were a bottom feeder they can eat seal shit which can have worm in it if it's caught in close waters,  cod caught in the North Atlantic or the northern North sea is Ok I believe.

Best chip shops cease to be the best  the second they win any award.  The quality might be right up there, but there's absolutely no way it's worth standing in an hour long queue for, usually alongside the types that'll camp for half a week to get a semi-distant view of a Royal wedding carriage pass by for 30 seconds.

Archived