What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

Sounds like a wrong un just trying to keep her seat, but...

Hardly a blow for labour is it? Proves it broadening its appeal rather than trying to narrow it and so victory moves closer

If the SNP stuck to that tack rather than campaigners demanding it purge itself of anyone to the right of Neil Kinnock they might not be in the shit they're in right now. 

1 minute ago, orfc said:

Sounds like a wrong un just trying to keep her seat, but...

Hardly a blow for labour is it? Proves it broadening its appeal rather than trying to narrow it and so victory moves closer

If the SNP stuck to that tack rather than campaigners demanding it purge itself of anyone to the right of Neil Kinnock they might not be in the shit they're in right now. 

The second paragraph there is utter gibberish. I’m a former Labour voter who could be won back. Letting this hack in to the party is further evidence for me that Starmer’s Labour has no principles at all. I can accept a bit of compromise in furtherance of an agenda, but when the only principle is winning, there’s no point.

Your third paragraph seems a bit strawmanny, considering that Forbes just got a senior role.

Surely you can acknowledge that Labour will have to take votes from the Tories to win an election, but also think that the line has to be drawn somewhere when there are MPs defecting: allowing Elphicke into the PLP, with her record in mind, seems like a pretty logical place, in my mind at least, for that line to be drawn. 

Maverick right winger, Brexit loving, demoniser of refugees and aid groups, avid Johnson fan joins Labour to avoid Tory broken pledges.

At a post-PMQs briefing, a spokesperson for Keir Starmer said that they were confident that Elphicke shared their values and that there were no skeletons in her cupboard.

giphy.gif.d385386f177b263df5845dc32597f048.gif

15 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Surely you can acknowledge that Labour will have to take votes from the Tories to win an election, but also think that the line has to be drawn somewhere when there are MPs defecting: allowing Elphicke into the PLP, with her record in mind, seems like a pretty logical place, in my mind at least, for that line to be drawn. 

I mean she could have had a Road To Damascus type conversion starting with divorcing her sex pest hubby, 

No one questioned Dugdale for suddenly deciding she was now voting nationalist

But yeh Occam's razor says she's saving her own skin

2 minutes ago, orfc said:

I mean she could have had a Road To Damascus type conversion starting with divorcing her sex pest hubby, 

No one questioned Dugdale for suddenly deciding she was now voting nationalist

But yeh Occam's razor says she's saving her own skin

She could have, but the evidence suggests it is at best unlikely. 

Dugdale's case is a bit different for a couple of reasons, I think (although I don't know who she is actually voting for now, admittedly). Firstly, she never sat as an SNP MSP. Secondly, it doesn't feel to me, constitution to one side, that there is that much separating your average SNP and Scottish Labour voter in terms of social and economic outlooks in post-devolution Scotland, although it might have changed somewhat with voter shift since the 2014 referendum. But I'm thinking of your pre-2014 'Labour at Westminster, SNP at Holyrood' voters, so that move isn't as ideologically difficult to comprehend. 

Surely the logical thing to do would be for Elphicke to sit as an independent for the rest of this parliament, but this move is probably to do with creating as much harm as possible. 

However, Elphicke is due to take on an unpaid role with the party working on housing policy. “We have talked about her doing a role building on her experience in housing policy,” the spokesperson said.

.....and there's the grift!

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

If you ranked Tory MPs liable to defect to Labour she would probably be in the bottom 10. It's quite bizarre. I guess it depends what Starmer or Elphicke does now as to whether it's good for Labour. 

My favourite Elphicke moment was when she unwittingly found herself protesting against the Tories after the P and O firing scandal.

Edited by sparky88

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

Well ,unlike George, I don’t grass on folk to intelligence agencies. 

How he put Paul Robeson on his infamous list was particularly egregious. He described Robeson as "very anti-white" which couldn't have been more wrong (see here, for example: https://youtu.be/B0bezsMVU7c?si=7isYSNhCq7LZ5OPl).

He also put Hugh MacDiarmid on his list, I liked reading MacDiarmid's poems in high school!

9 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

It could just be the Labour spin doctors at play here but the consensus seems to be that the lost votes over Gaza doesn’t matter because Labour has whomping majorities in the seats with big Muslim populations whereas they did better than expected in the marginal bellwether areas. FPTP for you.

So true. FPTP makes it so both parties are fighting over the same small cohort of "swing voters". If you have a direction of travel in your politics, if things are on a gradual conveyor belt, that cohort moves with the direction of travel. UK has been moving rightwards since the 1980s therefore so has that swing voter cohort. 

4 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Conservative MP Natalie Elphicke crosses the floor to join Labour 

I'm abroad and just saw this.

Fucking hell, isnt she an ex ERG loonball?

What the actual f**k is Starmer thinking?

12 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I'm abroad and just saw this.

Fucking hell, isnt she an ex ERG loonball?

What the actual f**k is Starmer thinking?

‘If we don’t behave like Tories, they’ll just elect Tories’ or something similar.