Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Quatermass said:

Frankie, whilst still an outstanding comedian imo, 

I know it's your opinion, but no. Too often went for controversy vs actual humour. "Gangbang in a minefield"... Spare me 🙄

10 hours ago, Quatermass said:

, has done everything to be appear to be more inclusive, a supporter of female comedians and so on over the last few years. Not sure if it was the backlash over his Katie Price material, a fear that his future income would be massively impacted or he didn’t like the public’s general opinion of him. 

Nakedly cynical attempt to not have his career rightly crash and burn in flames for being an obnoxious abelist sexist p***k.

On 18/02/2023 at 16:18, Quatermass said:

- Paul Daniels saving him in Blackpool.

for my sins ((c) Football Cliches), I quite like this one, particularly when he shouts "stop" in Paul Daniels' high pitched voice. I think they had Debbie McGhee on at a live event or something following on from this. 

On 19/02/2023 at 01:02, Stylish Kid said:

Was that the time they had a proper falling out on air over a point of grammar? 😂

Ha - that was around "which player's agent"/"which players' agent" with Cosgrove quite rightly enquiring where the apostrophe went to denote whether Tam was looking for the name of the player or the name of the agent. Complete meltdown by Cosgrove mainly caused by Tam not understanding the point and doubling down. They got an English grammar academic or something from GU to call in and I don't think she quite understood Cosgrove's (rather valid) point either tbh. 

My take on OTB is that I happily listen to it on delay (during the week in bed when trying to sleep which I do with all podcasts). It could be better, it could be fresher, but its like a comfy pair of slippers I suppose. 

Biggest gripe is that both of them clearly have their favoured parts - Cosgrove loves the "on this day" segment and Cowan loves the "team of the week" segment. And this extends to all the weekly format sections where at the expense of chatting about something interesting with the guest, or if the guest says something that is revelatory that cries out for a follow-up question (in my view anyway), they will immediately cut away to one of their favoured segments. 

4 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

My take on OTB is that I happily listen to it on delay (during the week in bed when trying to sleep which I do with all podcasts). It could be better, it could be fresher, but its like a comfy pair of slippers I suppose. 

Biggest gripe is that both of them clearly have their favoured parts - Cosgrove loves the "on this day" segment and Cowan loves the "team of the week" segment. And this extends to all the weekly format sections where at the expense of chatting about something interesting with the guest, or if the guest says something that is revelatory that cries out for a follow-up question (in my view anyway), they will immediately cut away to one of their favoured segments. 

This is the worst trait they both have. They never just let the guest talk. It's amazing how often the guest is cut off when saying something interesting and it's never returned to or followed up on.

The St Johnstone-supporting actor they had on a few weeks ago (and seem to quite often) was actually cut off mid-story by Cowan the other week while talking about a phone call he'd had from a St Johnstone official about the Rangers ticket backlash. Arguably the biggest story they were covering that week and the guest had inside information, and Cowan cut him off! 

In fairness, Cosgrove brought it back round a few minutes later, but that's all-too-rare and occurrence.  It actually had me shouting 'fucking shut up!' at my radio.

Edited by VincentGuerin

The old classic of watching the St Johnstone results on TV whilst standing ootside an electrical shop when he stayed down South given an airing from Cosgrove there. An auld classic.

Am I imagining it or was there a thing where someone used to hit the stopwatch at the start of the show to see how long it took for both St Johnstone and Motherwell to be mentioned? Mere seconds just about every time 😂

I know they're petty and ill informed but their ignorance of The Capital and surrounding areas grates on me sometimes

They expect folk to know about Lanarkshire and public bogs in Perth but don't realise Cockenzie Power Station was demolished ten years ago.

Pair of provincial bumpkins working for BBC Glasgow

Also Tam "can't let it go" Cowan got a wee dig in about Iona Fife today although he did say "meiouw" to go along with it.

9 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I know they're petty and ill informed but their ignorance of The Capital and surrounding areas grates on me sometimes

They expect folk to know about Lanarkshire and public bogs in Perth but don't realise Cockenzie Power Station was demolished ten years ago.

Also Tam "can't let it go" Cowan got a wee dig in about Iona Fife today although he did say "meiouw" to go along with it.

Did Cowan and Fyfe have an on air spat?

Edited by Quatermass

2 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

Did Cowan and Fife have an on air spat?

On 15/02/2023 at 09:42, Stylish Kid said:

Back to OTB rather than Leighton (sigh....!)

I quite liked Iona Fyffe. Amazing was the absolute meltdown on Twitter by thin-skinned Rangers fans at her mere presence was highly amusing 😂

Thin skinned Rangers fans ..Tam Cowan.... :whistle

Hiya Tam! Hiya pal! 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

26th Sept 2015 😉