Calling Cards of Morons

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

It's become something of a boutique collector's item, I sold my series one to four box set I bought in Fopp for a fiver 20 years ago for 50 quid earlier this year.

55 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I literally did the exact same thing. It was up to £100 a few years back  :blink:

Did you get it from Fopp on Union Street in Glasgow during a Christmas special during the mid-Aughts? Are we, in fact, the same person? I wouldn't put it past me to have an alter.

31 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Wtf, how on earth can it be worth that much, chewin the fat was huge it can't be that rare

It's been out of print for ages, and it's good enough that people who have it tend to keep it. That's your magic combo for high prices.

Last I saw, it had appeared on Netflix, which is probably why it's a bit cheaper now, although Netflix do that bizarre thing where you can watch a couple of series of a show but not the whole thing, so f**k knows if it's all there.

The DVDs are gash, by the way. Cheapo inserts and shite menus with no additional content whatsoever. The box set doesn't even include the Hogmanay specials. If you see John Williams Productions on any DVD, it's guaranteed to be rubbish. I presume backhanders were involved for them to get the rights to distribute BBC Scotland's content.

8 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It's been out of print for ages, and it's good enough that people who have it tend to keep it. That's your magic combo for high prices.

Last I saw, it had appeared on Netflix, which is probably why it's a bit cheaper now, although Netflix do that bizarre thing where you can watch a couple of series of a show but not the whole thing, so f**k knows if it's all there.

The DVDs are gash, by the way. Cheapo inserts and shite menus with no additional content whatsoever. The box set doesn't even include the Hogmanay specials. If you see John Williams Productions on any DVD, it's guaranteed to be rubbish. I presume backhanders were involved for them to get the rights to distribute BBC Scotland's content.

Thanks Dave, this has convinced me not to go on Amazon at 3 in the morning to make an drunken impulse purchase.

10 hours ago, Mr Waldo said:

"Too fat"     

For some reason I laughed at that for weeks.

Yeah that was brilliant as you thought he was going to f**k his line up which he kept practicing over and over. One sketch he went to a pirate audition dressed as a pirate.

Also Karen Dunbar had that character who worked in shop and talked about being stuck in their day after day after day as she brain fried every customer who went in there. She was quite like how Isa in Still Game just more edgy and rather tragic. Karen Dunbar did her own sketch show that got aced pretty quickly and had some genuinely disturbing moments in it. I still always wondered why she never appeared in still game though. 

Edited by throbber

9 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I have Netflix in the Philippines  - only Series 1 is available here.

For Still Game we are now up to Series 7 which as added a couple of months ago. 

My wife and son love them both.

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I have Netflix in the Philippines  - only Series 1 is available here.

For Still Game we are now up to Series 7 which as added a couple of months ago. 

My wife and son love them both.

Try YouTube. 

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yep....but it's a pain in the arse because it's hard to watch them in sequence on You Tube.  Netflix is much more user friendly.

Tbf its a sketch show so it doesn’t matter so much about sequence, I just wasn’t sure they’d show it in Asia on YouTube. My Dads favourite sketch was when they talked about how the young lad had “just started the masturbating”. Was really funny when he would tell parents he had just met on holiday when I was in earshot.

Just now, throbber said:

Tbf its a sketch show so it doesn’t matter so much about sequence, I just wasn’t sure they’d show it in Asia on YouTube. My Dads favourite sketch was when they talked about how the young lad had “just started the masturbating”. Was really funny when he would tell parents he had just met on holiday when I was in earshot.

You're right about the sequence but if we watch out of sequence it's harder to make sure we can see all episodes.  Both Chewin' the Fat and Still Game  are available to some extent on both Netflix and You Tube here in the Philippines.   

I remember the masturbating scene in the supermarket.

10 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

John Williams Productions did the box set of all those old Peter McDougall plays as well - all your Just a Boy's Games, Elephant's Graveyards and so on which I'm sure I picked up in Fopp for like three quid at roughly the same time as they had piles of Chewin' the Fat DVDs for peanuts too.

My guess is the company had gone bust at that point and were liquidating their stock which would explain why they were so cheap at one point and shortly afterwards you couldn't get them for love or money.

Edited by Hillonearth

11 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I literally did the exact same thing. It was up to £100 a few years back  :blink:

Did you get it from Fopp on Union Street in Glasgow during a Christmas special during the mid-Aughts? Are we, in fact, the same person? I wouldn't put it past me to have an alter.

^^^Big team found

11474682.jpg?display=1%26htype=0%26type=responsive-gallery&key=7eb1cdcaf8535c67faf7ca10ab3dcc642083264d84334815875ffedf457df44d

Meh! So what? He was a privileged king anyway. Who gives a f**k? We should be looking to the future Scotland - diverse, multicultural, equitable. Royalty sucks! I'd be quite happy if it was pulled down. The Bruce has nothing to do with the sort of nationalism I support or the Scotland I envisage! Let's build a workers' paradise.

2 hours ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

Meh! So what? He was a privileged king anyway. Who gives a f**k? We should be looking to the future Scotland - diverse, multicultural, equitable. Royalty sucks! I'd be quite happy if it was pulled down. The Bruce has nothing to do with the sort of nationalism I support or the Scotland I envisage! Let's build a workers' paradise.

Ooh, workers  paradise 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQokmSfvpUnQUDRiSkq4Is

2 hours ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

You can talk talk about a 'worker's paradise' when you start bringing a decent bag to school!

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

So it was you using your artistic skills!

What about the Wallace Monument? Would you want to see that coming down too?

It’s a nice building but might be better dedicated to someone who didn’t skin his enemies and turn them into belts.