The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

2 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

Bottas looking more and more like a driver nearing the end of his F1 career.

A 25 year career in Indycar awaits. He'll be the latest "big Formula One name" to go over there and make it look like a piece of piss, and the yanks will still carry on like the World Turning Left Championship is up at the pinnacle of motorsports.

18 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

A 25 year career in Indycar awaits. He'll be the latest "big Formula One name" to go over there and make it look like a piece of piss, and the yanks will still carry on like the World Turning Left Championship is up at the pinnacle of motorsports.

In a thread with plenty of stupid takes, this might be the stupidest of the lot.

16 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

In a thread with plenty of stupid takes, this might be the stupidest of the lot.

He obviously knows fine what Indycar is all about and is just at the wind up.

Just now, doulikefish said:

Logan binned for the rest of the season

Franco Colapinto to replace him 

Was just about to post this, I don’t follow F2 but I know a decent amount of the drivers and I’ve no clue who this guy is. Wonder what it means for Antonelli, would think he’d have been in consideration. Maybe Williams are trying to become more independent of Mercedes? 

22 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Was just about to post this, I don’t follow F2 but I know a decent amount of the drivers and I’ve no clue who this guy is. Wonder what it means for Antonelli, would think he’d have been in consideration. Maybe Williams are trying to become more independent of Mercedes? 

He won a race this year and is a Williams young driver .Merc engines already paid for this year no need to stick in young Kimi to get a discount 🤣

14 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Looks like they’re just giving their own driver a short term gig rather than train another Merc driver.  Vowles was obviously having none of Toto and Horner’s public battle of the drivers.

15 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Similar to yourself, I keep an eye on the lower formulas but hadn't heard of this bloke. He might crash a bit less than Sargeant (not difficult) but will his results be any better when he makes it to the finish? Appreciate he's part of their driver academy but Albon and Sainz are on long term contracts so not as if they're going to be promoting him soon.

Sargeant can have no complaints about getting binned but ditching him now, rather than during the summer break, seems a weird move too. The Zandvoort crash must have been the final straw but his record was hardly stellar before that.

Edited by Stu

Franco Colapinto is doing an excellent job in his first season in F2 and he is ahead of the the 'media hyped up' Antonelli in the points and ahead of his more experienced team mate Dennis Hauger at this point. Why the complaints about giving him a chance to learn first hand about racing a F1 car? Its to Williams benefit to have their 3rd driver gain experience just like Liam Lawson did last season with RB ready to step in if there is a problem with one of the two other drivers and look what that did to Lawson's reputation.

I think its funny how people demand Antonelli should be in a Williams because he's a Mercedes young driver and most people have heard of him because of the media talking him up as the next Max. Its like Rangers fans demanding another team ....say like Ayr Utd or Falkirk play their young loaned player ahead of any other young player who has come up through the smaller team's ranks, the assumption that the big team young player is better because he belongs to a big team and they are more familiar with him. I'm not saying Antonelli is not as good as Colapinto or will be less adaptable to F1 its just this idea that the smaller teams should be jumping to the presumed wishes of the big team. We know now who your big team is ;)

Antonelli is doing a pretty solid job in F2 and you can see him improve every race to becoming a consistent front runner, but he's not exactly storming F2 like Oscar Piastri or George Russell did in their first season. Maybe the higher learning curve because he missed a level? Gabriel Borteleto and Paul Aron are already regular consistent front runners in their first seasons and right in the title chase.

BTW Franco was quick to point out he will be the first Argentinian in F1 since Gaston Mazzacane in 2001. We haven't had a driver of a South American nationality since 2020, Pietro Fittipaldi (and he was born in the USA). Why so few drivers? Less opportunities?

2 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

BTW Franco was quick to point out he will be the first Argentinian in F1 since Gaston Mazzacane in 2001. We haven't had a driver of a South American nationality since 2020, Pietro Fittipaldi (and he was born in the USA). Why so few drivers? Less opportunities?

Good point. We've usually had a Brazilian or two going around. 

At the weekend Martin Brundle was reminiscing about 13 Italian drivers on the grid in a season (of 39 drivers). I think it's cyclical. We're seeing a lot of British drivers just now. 

Surprised Victor Martins doesn't get more of a mention. Whenever I've seen F2 he seems to be the most consistent of them all.

Bearman and Kimi have both been let down by a terrible Prema car this season but have shown flashes.

Colapinto has been decent whenever I've seen him. Bit early to throw him into F1 but Williams were left with no real choice

44 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Good to see the safety car testing the full safety features of Monza.......

Good to see Logan Sargeant found a new job so quickly. 

Also Dutch is just English with extra letters.

Edited by Buzz Killington

If Franco scores a point it would be the first for an Argentinian since Carlos Reutemann in 1982. I can only think of three Argentinans in F1 between Reutemann and Colapinto, obviously Mazzacane, Oscar Laurari who tried to qualify a Eurobrun in the early 90's and there was Esteban Tuero who drove for Minardi in '98 for one season then quit racing. Can't think of anyone else.

Others from the continent. There was a driver from Chile Eliseo Salazar famous for an incident with Nelson Piquet in 82, I think he drove the RAM March in 83. Colombia had Schumi and Coulthard botherer JP Montoya and the often unlucky Roberto Guerrero who drive the Theodore. Venuezela had Johnny Cecotto who was Senna's first F1 team mate at Toleman and then some guy called Pastor who in the 2010's who kept crashing a lot, won one race, and the car was so shocked it set itself on fire in the garage. No Uraguayans, though Gonzalo Rodriguez did test a Minardi, maybe doesn't count. And of course lots and lots of Brazilians of various quality, many of the left outs and fails ended up taking up half the grid in Champ Cars during the late 90's. Must have been at one point more Brazilians in Champ Car than Americans.

Most of those Italians had ini at end of their second name apart from Capelli, Caffi and Morbidelli. Lots of French drivers at the end of the 70's and early 80's probably because of Renault deciding to support the young driver program in France, plus French teams and plenty of French sponsors. You probably notice when there is a World Champion from a particular country or a major manufacturer takes a huge interest in driver development it raises the profile and you start to see more drivers from that home country over the next few years on the single seater ladder up to F1.

I know tldr.