The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

41 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Kmag banned for Baku due to reaching the 12 penalty points

Haas going to ask Ferrari to let Bearman drive for the weekend 

Do they need to ask Ferrari? Bearman is a nominated reserve driver for Haas this season. They would certainly have to ask Prima Racing as they would have to find another driver in time for the F2 races. I doubt Prima would say no, they've had a bad season and will be looking towards next season and this might be a chance to give experience to a potential driver for next year.

Edited by CityDave94

4 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

Do they need to ask Ferrari? Bearman is a nominated reserve driver for Haas this season. They would certainly have to ask Prima Racing as they would have to find another driver in time for the F2 races. I doubt Prima would say no, they've had a bad season and will be looking towards next season and this might be a chance to give experience to a potential driver for next year.

That’ll be easier for Prema as the F3 season finished today with an overtake on the last corner deciding the championship. I don’t follow F3 or F2 massively but I quite enjoyed watching that race at breakfast time today. 

8 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

I'm just going by what I've read that the Haas principle will ask Ferrari but id imagine it's all contractual about him actually driving a race for them just the usual F1 stuff with him being reserve driver so they get a discount on parts supplied etc etc instead of driving a  few first practice sessions on a Friday 

It seems incredible the number of time things seem to conspire against Piastri out of a good result through no fault of his own. Silverstone last year was the first time he’d been in a truly competitive car and he got some out of a podium by the safety car. Since then there’s been numerous occasions he was on for a good result or a win and then something has happened he couldn’t do anything about that has cost him. Even when he finally did get his win he almost lost it to Norris because McLaren screwed the strategy.

Is this actually Leclerc’s best season? I know he doesn’t maybe have the car to show for it but he’s been really impressive. The fact he’s 3rd and only a potential race away from overtaking Lando is remarkable given he’s mainly had the 3rd or 4th best car this season.

5 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Is this actually Leclerc’s best season? I know he doesn’t maybe have the car to show for it but he’s been really impressive. The fact he’s 3rd and only a potential race away from overtaking Lando is remarkable given he’s mainly had the 3rd or 4th best car this season.

He’s had a DNF in Canada, 14th and lapped in Britain and 11th and a minute off the winner in Austria. Apart from that his worst finish is 5th. Seems to have got more decisive on the radio with his new engineer as well which is good. 

On 01/09/2024 at 16:29, CityDave94 said:

Just a wee question

13 of todays starters out the 20 are race winners, that is a lot. Has there ever been more winners starting a F1 Grand Prix in the sport's history?

I'm trying to think back to the very early 2000's when everyone was as bad as each other and a few different teams won races, but can't imagine there will have been 13 race winners in a single grid

Think he's more a Button than a Coulthard tbh. DC was never anything more than a solid #2 who could win races in the best car if his team mate screwed up. Button was capable of genuine race wins from time to time, and had enough about him that he even got the better of Hamilton in identical machinery. I think Norris has a WDC in him under the right circumstances, whereas with Coulthard that was never on because unless he was paired with a pay-driving no-hoper, he was always going to be 2nd fiddle to any team mate an ultimately finish behind them in the Championship. Obvious exceptions being 2001/02 when he bettered Mika and then Kimi, however, both MH and KR had appalling reliability compared to DC in those years, in 2001 I think Mika was completely off the boil and his head wasn't really in it anyway, and Kimi was in his first year in a serious car in 2002.

If he starts doing "this is my year" pre-season interviews in Autosport every single year, then aye, he's Coulthard MkII

I know that the F1 online community is full of nutters but the meltdown about Newey to Aston and his interview today has resulted in a meltdown from the fans of a certain driver. 

Quote tweets are a laugh and mention Di Resta being at Sky as if that cancels out everything else. 

Newey also said that Mercedes should’ve got over 2021 and focus on the future, as all professionals should and that’s got them raging as well.