The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Same again next week, at the Red Bull Ring. Neither Verstappen nor Hamilton put a foot wrong. Red Bull was just...faster. 

Still not a fan of this points system. It doesn't reward winning enough. Mercedes closed the gap to Red Bull in the constructors championship despite finishing a big chunk behind. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Same again next week, at the Red Bull Ring. Neither Verstappen nor Hamilton put a foot wrong. Red Bull was just...faster. 

Still not a fan of this points system. It doesn't reward winning enough. Mercedes closed the gap to Red Bull in the constructors championship despite finishing a big chunk behind. 

Because Bottas finished ahead of Perez. The current points system is fine and better than the previous system where the top 8 got points and the winner only got 2 points more than 2nd place.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

u wot m8 :unsure2:

Red Bull: 1st + 4th = 25 + 12 = 37 points

Mercedes: 2nd + 3rd + FL = 18 + 15 + 1 = 34 points

On 26/06/2021 at 11:38, doulikefish said:

Watching fp3 just now and  I am enjoying crofty and co basically implying that because Merc are getting beat everybody else must be cheating 

In fairness last time anyone pushed Mercedes this hard they were cheating.

Seems more likely that Red Bull are throwing everything at this season while Mercedes are playing a longer game. It's the right strategy for both of them.

On 27/06/2021 at 19:04, afc_36_0 said:

Verstappen v hamilton is enjoyable in some races but its not enough, really hoping the shake up of rules in 22’ help the likes of mclaren and ferrari, maybe even aston martin compete at the front. There are some very talented drivers out there (especially british ones) that would be capable of winning given the right car.

The thought of Hamilton, Verstappen, Leclerc, Norris and Russell in competitive cars is mouthwatering. Ricciardo, Sainz and Perez will get quicker as they get to know their cars better too, plus Alonso...

Could be good.

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I think they used to reward winning more but changed it because Schumacher had the season tied up by the end of the summer.

15 hours ago, Ginaro said:

u wot m8 :unsure2:

Red Bull: 1st + 4th = 25 + 12 = 37 points

Mercedes: 2nd + 3rd + FL = 18 + 15 + 1 = 34 points

😄 You're right. Indeed, I was looking at the points table incorrectly.

But for me, the principle is that the team that produced the winning car should come away with the most points.  @IainMorton is right that it's a bit better than the old system, but I liked the one before that (10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1). Winning a point was a huge deal in those days. Now the top 10 get points and there was a proper gap between winning and being runner up.

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

I think they used to reward winning more but changed it because Schumacher had the season tied up by the end of the summer.

Yep. 2001 and 2002 were walkovers for Schumacher. He won the title in July 2002, so they brought in the rank rotten 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 system designed for 2003 to stop a driver running away with the title. In the end it just made the leading driver harder to catch. Didn't stop Schumacher anyway. 

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

😄 You're right. Indeed, I was looking at the points table incorrectly.

But for me, the principle is that the team that produced the winning car should come away with the most points.  @IainMorton is right that it's a bit better than the old system, but I liked the one before that (10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1). Winning a point was a huge deal in those days. Now the top 10 get points and there was a proper gap between winning and being runner up.

Perhaps but there needs to be a balance between rewarding the fastest car/driver and also rewarding the team which might be slightly slower but gets their two cars to the finish line right behind the leader, the constructors being a team championship after all.

The top 10 get points because reliability has increased, just look at how many retirements you see in the standings 20 years ago compared to now. 6 out of the 10 times all cars have finished a GP in history have occurred since 2014.

The FL point is a good idea that would be better if 5th-6th weren't reliably dropping 50 seconds off the pace. Norris and McLaren surrendering 3rd place on the track to worry about Ferrari in the constructors didn't help that either, a completely ridiculous case of shitebag behaviour.

That said, one of these days Mercedes are going to bring Hamilton in towards the end for a tyre change, they'll make a roaring c**t of the tyre change and knock him far down the order in hilarious fashion. In the championship decider with any luck. 

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

That said, one of these days Mercedes are going to bring Hamilton in towards the end for a tyre change, they'll make a roaring c**t of the tyre change and knock him far down the order in hilarious fashion. In the championship decider with any luck. 

I forget which one, but a couple of races ago Hamilton was in the lead towards the end and there was a discussion with the pit wall about if he should come in, fit new tyres and try to get fastest lap. He had the time to do it, but chose not to because it was too big a risk. 

Hamilton staying at Mercedes for two more years. No real surprise - wouldn't be surprised if he stops after that.

Never going to happen but would have loved to see someone like him, who is achieved loads and is still at the top of his game, go to someone like Williams and drag them up the grid.