The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

IndyCar silly season has completely blown up in the last hour, and that could have a direct impact on F1

This afternoon, Chip Ganassi Racing announced that they had exercised their option on 2021 Indycar champ for 2023, including a quote from Palou saying he was happy to continue

An hour ago, Palou said that he did not approve of that press release or of the quote attributed to him

45 minutes ago, McLaren put out a press release announcing they had signed Palou, without any specific mention of Palou driving an Indycar.  

I am starting to think that Alex Palou will partner Lando Norris next year

Edited by senorsoupe

Could be that Palou drives for McLaren Indycar in 2023 and then F1 starting in 2024?

Either way Zak Brown doesn't really seem to give a shit about contracts so Ricciardo may say he's staying but Brown may have other plans

24 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Could be that Palou drives for McLaren Indycar in 2023 and then F1 starting in 2024?

Either way Zak Brown doesn't really seem to give a shit about contracts so Ricciardo may say he's staying but Brown may have other plans

Yeah ultimately in F1 there is always a way out of a contract if you need one.

The point where I'll believe that Ricciardo is in a McLaren next season will be when they make a specific announcement of their driver line up for next season. Until then his contract is really just a guarantee that he will get a nice severance package if he loses the seat.

13 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I know Palou had a short stint in F2 a few years ago, but I'd think he'd benefit from a full season there rather than going straight from Indy to F1.

Not really sure about this to be honest, in terms of running a 2hr race distance with all the tyre management, fuel saving etc. thats involved in that, IndyCar and Super Formula are going to have prepared him better than spending a year running hour long (at most) sprint races in F2 will.

Not sure what he gets out of F2 other than learning the tracks and I guess a little familiarity with Pirelli tyres, but I would expect someone signing for McLaren to be able to work around those issues without a prep year.

24 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I know Palou had a short stint in F2 a few years ago, but I'd think he'd benefit from a full season there rather than going straight from Indy to F1.

IndyCar is MILES ahead of F2 in terms of quality.  It's a proper top level series with some top quality drivers and Palou won the title in his second season there.  Add in elements that MrWorldwideJr mentioned in terms of racecraft (which Palou is excellent at) and car and tire management.  

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

IndyCar is MILES ahead of F2 in terms of quality.  It's a proper top level series with some top quality drivers and Palou won the title in his second season there.  Add in elements that MrWorldwideJr mentioned in terms of racecraft (which Palou is excellent at) and car and tire management.  

Not sure about this one tbh.

2 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Do you watch Indycar?  Guys like Josef Newgarden, Scott Dixon, Colton Herta, Pato O'Ward and Will Power are excellent drivers.  

I do and they're not. Maybe top quality for IndyCar but both Scott Dixon and Will Power are failed F1 drivers, as are about half the grid. Herta is overrated as f**k also.
In reality there is a very small number of drivers that have been in IndyCar that were good enough for F1, Montoya, Villeneuve (not sure that he wasn't just lucky though tbh) and maybe Franchitti.

There are plenty things you can portray positively and negatively about both Verstappen and Hamilton ranging from their driving to their personalities. I choose to enjoy both as they are excellent drivers and bring eyes to the sport. Hating someone for being the best is very boring. 
I don't hate verstappen because he's the best. I liked schumi and never really had a problem with vettel or Hamilton.

I just find him really whiney.
There's an excitable level of partisan in this wee section of p&B and that's impressive to see.
As for Verstappen, I think it is fair to question the motives behind the words, words including "alcohol" and "stupid things", of a person that will have undertaken literally hundreds of hours of media training.
That's ridiculously harsh. His statement seems to be spot on.

I agree but there are also a lot of ex F1 drivers who went over to the USA to Indycar/Champ Car and didn't cut it or simply didn't stand out. Certain drivers suit different styles of racing better and certain circuits and from what I have seen the better drivers from the USA to race in F1 have nearly always been the younger ones who aren't set in their ways yet, same goes the other way. The most impressive Indycar/Champcar driver other than Montoya who should have been in F1 in the late 90's was Helio CastroNeves. Dario Franchitti was very good and should have got a chance. Its these guys who are fast everywhere consistently, on every type of circuit, they are the ones who should impress the F1 bosses. I don't remember either Dixon or Power ever racing in F1, I think both tested but that doesn't really count. Dixon was quick everywhere, Power was a late developer and took time to mature.

Nigel Mansel wasn't to shabby in Indycar. Won his first race in Australia and some of his on board footage from the ovals was tremendous stuff. Looked good for victory in the second attempt at Indy 500 until someone's car landed on his head. Breaking his back at Phoenix didn't help matters though.

19 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I do and they're not. Maybe top quality for IndyCar but both Scott Dixon and Will Power are failed F1 drivers, as are about half the grid. Herta is overrated as f**k also.
In reality there is a very small number of drivers that have been in IndyCar that were good enough for F1, Montoya, Villeneuve (not sure that he wasn't just lucky though tbh) and maybe Franchitti.

I think that's harsh on Villeneuve. He got a very competitive car when he jumped in, but did pretty well even in some of the poorer machinery. He tailed off towards the end of his career. 

The tail off began in 1998 IIRC but then if you enjoy the lifestyle more than others and have already achieved a World Championship then it's hardly a surprise to let your performance decline.

Villeneuve was possibly a bit fortunate that it was Frentzen rather than Hill or someone else decent in the other Williams in 97, but he still managed to beat peak-b*****d Schumacher.

The only thing I remember about his career after then was when he and Zonta both nearly killed themselves at Eau Rouge in the BAR.

Villeneuve was possibly a bit fortunate that it was Frentzen rather than Hill or someone else decent in the other Williams in 97, but he still managed to beat peak-b*****d Schumacher.
The only thing I remember about his career after then was when he and Zonta both nearly killed themselves at Eau Rouge in the BAR.

I'm old enough to remember when people used to say Frentzen was as good as Michael Schumacher based on their Mercedes sportscar days.

He was not.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

The tail off began in 1998 IIRC but then if you enjoy the lifestyle more than others and have already achieved a World Championship then it's hardly a surprise to let your performance decline.

Fair, but he was never in anything decent from 1997 onwards. Newey left Williams for McLaren who then dominated, and even the 97 car was meant to be a bit difficult to drive. He was then in BARs and Saubers but he tended to do alright in comparison with his teammates. 

4 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I'm old enough to remember when people used to say Frentzen was as good as Michael Schumacher based on their Mercedes sportscar days.

He was not.

I always think Frentzen was a bit harshly dealt with, especially in the UK, due to replacing Hill at Williams. I think the years at Jordan showed him to be decent, esp 99 where he was a factor in the Championship right up to 3 races to go.