A View From The Terrace.

Bigging up a player  to score , Kamberi this week , then he's doesn't play on the Saturday is one of the problems that can arise when you record the program earlier in the week  .  A decent show again last night , given the current circumstances and lack of matches it must be difficult to find content to fill 60 minutes, last nights LMW definitely was a miss as far as I'm concerned. 

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Given the repeated bits I'm assuming the VTs have been pretty much impossible to film over the winter lockdown period.

In short, aye. Given that a lot of them are the Duncan's turning up at someone's club, Gary in an escape room or me in someone's kitchen, that Scotland is down from 100 (s?) of pro, semi pro, junior and amateur clubs operating to 22 currently, who are all rightfully keeping themselves to themselves, I think there's a real limitation to what's possible.

That said, they could put Duncan as Roary on every week and I'd still laugh like f**k at it.

I usually like the Last Minute Winners and would only say there have been a couple I wasn't a fan of.

However, last night's song choice can just get to f**k, so far to f**k. We don't need a wee wink and chuckle towards sectarianism. Just cut that pish right out.

Also, as someone mentioned above, it would be good if they could cut out the shoehorned Celtic and Sevco references in every show. Every time there is a discussion like the Frankenballer thing there always has to be mention of one of those two teams for example.

Anyway, the show is a Friday night staple now and really enjoyable overall.

10 hours ago, matthew1876 said:

Really don’t understand why LMW gets so much hate on here. Even if it’s not your team, or the type of music you like, it’s some exposure for artists isn’t it? And a chance for people to hear their teams songs being played differently to how they’d normally be heard?

Some people just have half-baked opinions that they haven’t really thought about. For example, relative to last nights one, I’ve heard people say that Rangers shouldn’t play STB because it’s “triumphalist” - of course it is! Every football team has a song excessively celebrating their glories, it’s what teams and supporters do. It’s stupid, that’s the whole point of it.

The LMW is fine, it’s something different and it shows you a different side of some decent Scottish bands. If you’re not mature enough to take a song being sung by fans of another team for what it is, then just skip it. No need to show your arse publicly over a bit of fun on the telly.

10 hours ago, matthew1876 said:

Lol absolute state of this. It’s Friday night mate, have a beer or something. 

I made this point last week, but some of the bands that have been on LMW recently have supported pretty influential bands. Folk coming on a forum to call them pish based on a 2 minute slot covering a football related song seems harsh to say the least. 

Your point that if some dirge merchant like Dave Grohl  likes them we should all be delighted to be able to listen to them isn't the zinger you think It is.

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

Some people just have half-baked opinions that they haven’t really thought about. For example, relative to last nights one, I’ve heard people say that Rangers shouldn’t play STB because it’s “triumphalist” - of course it is! Every football team has a song excessively celebrating their glories, it’s what teams and supporters do. It’s stupid, that’s the whole point of it.

The LMW is fine, it’s something different and it shows you a different side of some decent Scottish bands. If you’re not mature enough to take a song being sung by fans of another team for what it is, then just skip it. No need to show your arse publicly over a bit of fun on the telly.

I think the issues is with the add ons. I don't need to tell you why STB is different from Its United.

That said I'm fine with Rangers and Celtic being part of the show. They are Scottish football teams and I think AVFTT does a really good job of treating them as such, no more or less important than Ayr Utd or Stirling Albion.

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Your point that if some dirge merchant like Dave Grohl  likes them we should all be delighted to be able to listen to them isn't the zinger you think It is.

I think the issues is with the add ons. I don't need to tell you why STB is different from Its United.

That said I'm fine with Rangers and Celtic being part of the show. They are Scottish football teams and I think AVFTT does a really good job of treating them as such, no more or less important than Ayr Utd or Stirling Albion.

The add ons to STB haven’t been sung in years. A decade plus IIRC. 

12 minutes ago, G51 said:

The add ons to STB haven’t been sung in years. A decade plus IIRC. 

:lol: Haven’t been sung in years where? In your living room? I’m certain you don’t mean they haven’t been sung at Ibrox in years, because that would be mental. 

23 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

"dirge merchant", "Dave Grohl" , really?

3 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

:lol: Haven’t been sung in years where? In your living room? I’m certain you don’t mean they haven’t been sung at Ibrox in years, because that would be mental. 

Yes, I mean at Ibrox. 

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Yes, I mean at Ibrox. 

Oh right. And we are definitely talking about the same Ibrox here, the one that’s in the south side of Glasgow?  

Ive said it before, but I honestly think Rangers fans go to games and lose all sense of hearing, they just block out what they don’t want to hear. I will assume your seat isn’t anywhere near the away fans at the front of the Govan or Broomloan stand then? I had the misfortune of sitting in the seat closest to the mutants in the Govan stand at the Friday night Rangers v St Mirren game, where Stevie Thompson missed a penalty. The add-ons to Simply the Best could be heard loud and clear that night, infact I think I’ve heard it every time I’ve been to Ibrox in the away end.

It must be like when you go on holiday, and for the first few days you can hear the crickets chirping away loud and clear, but by the time you get to the end of the holiday you have became so used to the sound that you need to listen carefully to be able to hear them. That’s what I imagine happens to Rangers fans when they attend Ibrox, the sectarianism is so constant that it doesnt even register. I won’t bother mentioning the coins that got launched into the away end or the numerous other sectarian shouts that came from the home end. 

16 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Oh right. And we are definitely talking about the same Ibrox here, the one that’s in the south side of Glasgow?  

Ive said it before, but I honestly think Rangers fans go to games and lose all sense of hearing, they just block out what they don’t want to hear. I will assume your seat isn’t anywhere near the away fans at the front of the Govan or Broomloan stand then? I had the misfortune of sitting in the seat closest to the mutants in the Govan stand at the Friday night Rangers v St Mirren game, where Stevie Thompson missed a penalty. The add-ons to Simply the Best could be heard loud and clear that night, infact I think I’ve heard it every time I’ve been to Ibrox in the away end.

It must be like when you go on holiday, and for the first few days you can hear the crickets chirping away loud and clear, but by the time you get to the end of the holiday you have became so used to the sound that you need to listen carefully to be able to hear them. That’s what I imagine happens to Rangers fans when they attend Ibrox, the sectarianism is so constant that it doesnt even register. I won’t bother mentioning the coins that got launched into the away end or the numerous other sectarian shouts that came from the home end. 

Rangers fans do not sing STB outside of the part when the teams come out the tunnel, and as part of Rangers commitment to eradicating sectarianism the bit of STB with the add-ons is no longer played - it cuts straight to the chorus as the teams come out.

This has been the case since at least 2011, quite possibly before that.

46 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

"dirge merchant", "Dave Grohl" , really?

Yes. Dirge paint by numbers indy rock. The Foo Fighters are an appalling band.

Everlong was a banger but quickly descended from there.

He's a good musician as evidenced by stuff he has done with QOTSA or Them Crooked Vultures but his own output is reekin 

There was a game vs Celtic at Ibrox, either last season or the season before that I caught the start of on radio, and it was very loudly and very clearly sung with the 'add ons', by what sounded like the entire home support. 

G51 is correct that the song cuts off at a certain point, but the fans certainly didn't.

Edited by DA Baracus

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Yes. Dirge paint by numbers indy rock. The Foo Fighters are an appalling band.

Everlong was a banger but quickly descended from there.

He's a good musician as evidenced by stuff he has done with QOTSA or Them Crooked Vultures but his own output is reekin 

Thank Christ.

I mean, everybody loves Dave Grohl (I even like the Probot album!) but they are the absolute dullest band in the rock/alt/metal world ever. They are Nickelback without the x-factor.

Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Thank Christ.

I mean, everybody loves Dave Grohl (I even like the Probot album!) but they are the absolute dullest band in the rock/alt/metal world ever. They are Nickelback without the x-factor.

Fight me!