The 'Tremendous' Tales of Tightfistedness Thread

22 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

1994/95 new year, I stayed in Solihull and for 4 days over new year, her sister came and stay with her boyfriend.

On their arrival the presented us with a food hamper. BRILLIANT, cheese bottle of wine, steak pie the works...

As I said, they stayed 4 days, they never bought anything else during their time, 4 days. Booze, food, drugs...nothing.

On their last day, just before they were to head off, he handed me a receipt. It was for 50 English pounds. Asked for half, for the hamper.

No they never got it and they never returned.

You should've paid it, then invoiced them for their stay during a peak holiday time.

1 minute ago, microdave said:

You should've paid it, then invoiced them for their stay during a peak holiday time.

Oh this was very much my point before the 2 got horsed out the front door.

20 hours ago, velo army said:

I splay my left hand (palm turned upwards) and then place the first glass between thumb and forefinger, gripping it with those. The next glass rests on my ring finger while being stabilised with the middle finger. The third rests in the space between while being stabilised by my pinky. 

The right hand has palm downwards and I grip one glass with thumb and forefinger and the other with middle finger pressing the glass against the ring finger.

If it's pints I pick up the 6th glass between the two hands. The 6th glass is only held by pressure from either side, so that goes down first. The next glasses down are the ones in my right hand which are set down simultaneously. The ones on the left are set down in reverse order to their placement. 

Quite the party piece.

If I hadn't seen the picture on the previous page I'd have wondered what Bob Mortimer was doing on P&B.

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

ETA: a key underlying principle: what would Sainsbury's have sought to do if they caught a shoplifter (putting the overstretched police thing aside)? I suspect it wouldn't be a mere slap on the wrist. It would be at least a store ban, and you need consistency.

I have heard stories from Americans about some of their alleged policies. According to some their supermarkets note frequent shoplifters and the items they take and deliberately ignore it UNTIL they've stolen over a certain value, at which point it becomes a felony instead of petty theft and they can get royally shafted for it.

15 hours ago, AnderooMFC said:

I have heard stories from Americans about some of their alleged policies. According to some their supermarkets note frequent shoplifters and the items they take and deliberately ignore it UNTIL they've stolen over a certain value, at which point it becomes a felony instead of petty theft and they can get royally shafted for it.

It may well explain why the guy's on Trailer Park Boys are always cautious their antics are "Theft under a thousand" (Canada, but the same thing I'd imagine).

17 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Tightfistedness is an abolutely inescusable waste of the benefits of wealth.

I'll regularly pay financial subordinates (which is the vast, vast, vast majority of people) to act in demeaning ways for my own amusement.

^^^

20 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I'll regularly pay financial subordinates (which is the vast, vast, vast majority of people) to act in demeaning ways for my own amusement.

Wanking for coins.

Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but there was the story of the Man U player (can't remember which one) who used to milk his fellow players (MATRON!) on the way back from away games.

They would stop at a chippie, he'd collect cash from the rest of the players for their grub, go in to get the food, then pay by cheque, in the expectation that the shop owners would never cash it as it had the player's autograph on it. 

Tight or clever? Both?

37 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

.......Hiya Craig Whyte, hiya pal......................

David-Murray-Craig-Whyte.thumb.webp.7f6c22db56deaa2cd536fd01c1a2ffc8.webp

10 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but there was the story of the Man U player (can't remember which one) who used to milk his fellow players (MATRON!) on the way back from away games.

They would stop at a chippie, he'd collect cash from the rest of the players for their grub, go in to get the food, then pay by cheque, in the expectation that the shop owners would never cash it as it had the player's autograph on it. 

Tight or clever? Both?

The guy I've heard that one about is Jackie Charlton, who's apparently got framed cheques on the walls of half the boozers in Ireland.

On 18/04/2024 at 07:15, Derry Alli said:

I have absolutely no idea how the glass closest your body is balancing. I idiot want to know, I wa t to burn you at the stake for witchcraft.

Spoiler

It's resting on my pinky.

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Big Jock^ 

Mate of mine used to be the manager of a paint shop in Liverpool back when the company was sponsoring Liverpool FC. Part of the sponsorship deal was the players could get a pot of paint or two if they were doing any re-decorating. Two Scottish internationals used to turn up seperately every week accompanied by a painter with his van and they would literally fill the van. Full pallets at a time. At first my mate would phone his boss for permission but was told to shut up and not cause a fuss. 

You'd think these millionaire players wouldn't worry about money so much but they were absolutely shafting the sponsors. 

3 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Tight or clever? Both?

Nick Faldo used to always write cheques for his green fees for exactly the same reason.