Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

10 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Watching it on Free Sports now - that second goal is pub league stuff. Four players drift towards the guy taking a throw-in, then the one Malmo player who gets the ball just melts through two defenders. Hilarious.

If it’s pub league stuff then Sakala may turn out to be a good season as that looks about his level.

24 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'd say they definitely are given our European performances under Gerrard have generally been very good. We have beaten far better teams than Malmo in the last couple of years in Europe so, yes, I think they are capable of better.

i don't disagree you may have beaten better teams than Malmo, but you have also beaten teams with more prestige too, who've been shit and the media have built it into something it wasnt,  i've never really been impressed by your european runs,

3 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Entire defence were. Unfair to single out Tavernier.

The rest of them have some level of ability to actually be able to defend.  Tavernier is a right winger who gets played at right back for some reason.

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Tavernier is a right winger

I think you'll find he's a ring leader of a Marxist plot to destabilise the stock exchange, defund the police and depose the monarchy.

Edited by 101

2 hours ago, AJF said:

Quite a sickening result considering where we found ourselves at half time being a goal and a man up. In terms of performance we were dominant for 35 mins but for some reason the game just seemed to flip entirely from the free kick McGregor gave away onwards. We became timid and allowed Malmo to get on the ball without any pressure.

Two moments of real quality from their number 9 and we were chasing it. We huffed and puffed but with no real quality or composure that we've been used to in European competition under Gerrard. Steve Davis was the only one I thought that got pass marks but was let down badly by his teammates.

Infuriating watching it as you know this is a team that is capable of far better but for some reason we haven't been able to get going yet this season. Maybe in previous seasons the mutiple rounds of European Qualifiers have helped us get up to speed, whereas this season we seem to be rusty and lethargic.

On the positives, it was excellent to be inside a full Ibrox once again even if the result was poor.

Big improvements needed.

Totally agree. The game changed at exactly the moment that your keeper should have been red carded. Rangers were never in control of the game again, at any point. Really weird, 

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Haha, certainly not. I'm not one for booing. I don't particularly object to people voicing their displeasure after a bad performance either, though.

Bad result you said sevco played well for 35 minutes,
Sorry dominant.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

2 hours ago, AJF said:

Quite a sickening result considering where we found ourselves at half time being a goal and a man up. In terms of performance we were dominant for 35 mins but for some reason the game just seemed to flip entirely from the free kick McGregor gave away onwards. We became timid and allowed Malmo to get on the ball without any pressure.

Two moments of real quality from their number 9 and we were chasing it. We huffed and puffed but with no real quality or composure that we've been used to in European competition under Gerrard. Steve Davis was the only one I thought that got pass marks but was let down badly by his teammates.

Infuriating watching it as you know this is a team that is capable of far better but for some reason we haven't been able to get going yet this season. Maybe in previous seasons the mutiple rounds of European Qualifiers have helped us get up to speed, whereas this season we seem to be rusty and lethargic.

On the positives, it was excellent to be inside a full Ibrox once again even if the result was poor.

Big improvements needed.

Exactly my thoughts.  Thanks for saving me typing that out.

Barisic looks absolutely lost.  There was a moment in the second half where they floated a ball over his head leaving Balogun to have to leave his man to go and cover, and I swear the entire stadium muttered "get him off" at the same time.

17 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Bad result you said sevco played well for 35 minutes,
Sorry dominant.

Correct, we did, but for the remaining 60 odd minutes we were terrible. So on balance, a poor performance.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Watching it on Free Sports now - that second goal is pub league stuff. Four players drift towards the guy taking a throw-in, then the one Malmo player who gets the ball just melts through two defenders. Hilarious.

Only saw a brief clip on the news but it looked like a foul throw, the guy's foot was well over the line.

1 hour ago, Silvio said:

Are they capable of better ? No doubt they should be beating Malmo, but how good are they really ? 

Should they? I thought from the draw this would be tough, I think in all things European so much is about the opposition and Malmo are no mugs. I would have said Malmo were favorites,