Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

Decent 2nd half and 1-0 does flatter the visitors but it shows just how much Lundstram weighed us down.  At least we have Kamara back next week plus the option of playing wee Kelly who is 2x the player Lundstram is.

Scotty Wright taking the game to them was excellent.  He's been one of the few who has started the season well.

Hagi probably MotM.  Never seen him so fired up.

Lundstram was noticeably rotten in the most rotten squad in the EPL last season so I'm personally shocked to see him playing so poorly. Who could have predicted it?
Fair play. On paper I thought it might be a decent signing for them given it was a free. But hot on the heels of the likes of Duffy and Barton he's looking like another in a line of Premier League jobbers who are comedy gold when they come up here thinking they're a ticket.

I’d have taken that at half time. A second goal would’ve been lovely but not a terrible result, all things considered. Absolutely idiotic from Lundstram who has not impressed at all so far.

We did seem to improve after half time, which we needed to do, but we have to start like that.

As others mentioned, seemed like a bit of a farewell from Morelos there but not surprising. He’ll be away after the second leg.

the expectation was a a tie over 3 or 4 nil, should still progress, but will have to play a proper side 3 days before their other half visit them, add to that a near 7000 miles roundtrip, 

Edited by Meldrew

Think that Alfie’s waiting on a CL qualification / COVID logjam around transfers.

Lundstram has managed to do in 6 games what took Jordan Jones half a season.

Hagi played like a man possessed second half, want to see much more of that from him.

Kamara can’t get back quick enough.

A good second half but plenty still to do. Armenia is an absolute stinker of an away trip, especially if the game is going to be played in the late-thirties. Kamara will hopefully make a difference. It's not unthinkable that we'd lose a game like that.

Also don't really like our recruitment so far. Lundstram needs at least a few months out of the team, and his wages are too big to justify that disappearance. Sakala is picking up a load of niggling injuries, which is possibly related to him not having an operation last season because God told him not to (though when fit, he's looked really good). Bacuna has been a verrrrry hit and miss player for a shite Huddersfield team. Ofoborh obviously has the heart issue. It looks like the worst window we've had since Warburton.

We look noticeably better when we play the players who are in form. Unsurprisingly. Hagi, Wright, Aribo, Bassey - they should all be playing regularly at the minute. 

I always thought Postecoglou's Celtic would start like a house on fire before flaming out around January/February because of a paper-thin squad being asked to sprint 14/15k each game, but if we aren't careful we won't be in a position to capitalise on that. The team have not been impressive to start the season and I fully expect us to lose the derby at the end of the month. If Celtic are any longer than 2/1 for that game then it's ridiculous value.

Lot of work to do for Wilson. Jordan Campbell had it spot on today when he said the next two weeks are going to be massive for him. 

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

A good second half but plenty still to do. Armenia is an absolute stinker of an away trip, especially if the game is going to be played in the late-thirties. Kamara will hopefully make a difference. It's not unthinkable that we'd lose a game like that.

Also don't really like our recruitment so far. Lundstram needs at least a few months out of the team, and his wages are too big to justify that disappearance. Sakala is picking up a load of niggling injuries, which is possibly related to him not having an operation last season because God told him not to (though when fit, he's looked really good). Bacuna has been a verrrrry hit and miss player for a shite Huddersfield team. Ofoborh obviously has the heart issue. It looks like the worst window we've had since Warburton.

We look noticeably better when we play the players who are in form. Unsurprisingly. Hagi, Wright, Aribo, Bassey - they should all be playing regularly at the minute. 

I always thought Postecoglou's Celtic would start like a house on fire before flaming out around January/February because of a paper-thin squad being asked to sprint 14/15k each game, but if we aren't careful we won't be in a position to capitalise on that. The team have not been impressive to start the season and I fully expect us to lose the derby at the end of the month. If Celtic are any longer than 2/1 for that game then it's ridiculous value.

Lot of work to do for Wilson. Jordan Campbell had it spot on today when he said the next two weeks are going to be massive for him. 

Welcome Back GIF by Coates Group

9 minutes ago, G51 said:

You been overseas with Romeo mate ??

What's the difference between confidence, arrogance and ignorance?

JM1872 verified-icon-png-1.png.5d919ef608812e4a22e5b40dc88bd576.png

Watched the highlights of the last round. Both teams were/are utter donkeys. Should play the B team in both legs. Think we’ll win 5-0 tomorrow, at least.

17 minutes ago, G51 said:

Good to have you back. As always a well thought out post. I disagree over the OF but agree our recruitment has seemingly been utter pish. I think we were deffo banking on Champions League and because of that there's a few twitchy agents and players right now. 

5 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

Good to have you back. As always a well thought out post. I disagree over the OF but agree our recruitment has seemingly been utter pish. I think we were deffo banking on Champions League and because of that there's a few twitchy agents and players right now. 

If we were banking on qualifying for the CL, it was a really stupid strategy, because our odds of making it were very long.

I'm more inclined to think that we're feeling a squeeze because the shareholder loans have stopped (as they were scheduled to), we didn't qualify for the CL and the arse appears to have fallen out of the mid-range top-five-league market that we're looking to sell into. Nobody's buying anyone at the moment - it's why Celtic can't shift Edouard either. Maybe that changes as the window closes, but I think Park, Bennett and co. are probably going to have to fund the shortfall again. At least until January, when the top five leagues will have had a few solid months of TV money rolling in.

I also think both OF teams are going to be much closer to the rest of the league than has been the case in recent years. Rangers, because it's pretty much statistically impossible for us not to regress, and Celtic because there's still so much uncertainty around everything they're doing. 88/89 points might win you the league this year. And I don't like our odds for that first OF game simply because teams are still figuring out how to play Celtic, we look like we've had no pre-season and we have to go and play in fucking Armenia 72 hours before the game. I can't see it ending well for us.

14 minutes ago, G51 said:

If we were banking on qualifying for the CL, it was a really stupid strategy, because our odds of making it were very long.

I'm more inclined to think that we're feeling a squeeze because the shareholder loans have stopped (as they were scheduled to), we didn't qualify for the CL and the arse appears to have fallen out of the mid-range top-five-league market that we're looking to sell into. Nobody's buying anyone at the moment - it's why Celtic can't shift Edouard either. Maybe that changes as the window closes, but I think Park, Bennett and co. are probably going to have to fund the shortfall again. At least until January, when the top five leagues will have had a few solid months of TV money rolling in.

I also think both OF teams are going to be much closer to the rest of the league than has been the case in recent years. Rangers, because it's pretty much statistically impossible for us not to regress, and Celtic because there's still so much uncertainty around everything they're doing. 88/89 points might win you the league this year. And I don't like our odds for that first OF game simply because teams are still figuring out how to play Celtic, we look like we've had no pre-season and we have to go and play in fucking Armenia 72 hours before the game. I can't see it ending well for us.

Perhaps not banking on it then but certainly expecting it and quite rightly so imo. Don't get me wrong I was the most vocally pessimistic on here about CL qualifiers straight after we had won the league but after the draw we certainly should have won the ties. 

I'm a lot more optimistic about the OF than you and I'll happily take the flak and eat my words if I'm wrong but celtc are getting a wee bit carried away, sure they should be rightly enjoying themselves and feeling optimistic but they've had easy games so far other than the 2 hard games they've lost... I think we can cancel out their attack to a reasonable extent and think with a full crowd and full pressure on their defense they will crumble. Still early days and it's not like the winner of that game will define the league but I'm certainly still confident we can get our act and psychological balance correct before that game. 

Edited by SANTAN