Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

57 minutes ago, stressball said:

That is glorious reading, they conveniently forget that they get away with cheating almost weekly in Scottish football which elevates them to the position of allowing them to perform at the highest European level (or have a crack at it), and then have the cheek to moan about it, and the audacity to expect the rest of us to feel sorry for them, f**k them, and all who sail in them! 

Best Friends Lol GIF by Boomerang Official

If they reviewed second bookings to potentially overturn red cards, then you would have to review every foul made by a player already on a booking. It wouldn't be fair to only reverse wrong decisions one way. You'd have to intervene to send players off as well 

1 minute ago, MarkoRaj said:

Loads of this kind of post. Such a strange fan base. I'm not sure what they actually expect it to achieve.

As if uefa will give a single f**k about anything they have to say. 

Screenshot_20240814_131326_Chrome.jpg

Reeking of entitlement 

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

The second yellow was a clear second yellow. 

Absolutely. It seems a strange hill to die on. The criteria for a second yellow is the exact same as for a first yellow. The fact that it leads to a red does not come into it. Is the challenge worthy of booking. He sticks his elbow in the defenders face. Benefit of the doubt - a yellow not a red. If the ref does not give it is a big deal? No if he misses it, he's unlikely to be called back by Var. Its in the soft category, but that does not mean it's not a second yellow. 

Also I think Jefte know exactly what he's doing and thinks he'll get away with it. Stupid foul, stupid booking stupid red. Rangers would be better asking Jefte WTF he was doing then questioning the ref.

6 hours ago, AJF said:

I think the context here is slightly different. We were down to 10 men, getting beat with 10 minutes to go. The ball was just coming back any time it went forward to Dessers. 

In one of our previous conversations you were critical about keepers being beaten at their near post.

Both goals last night saw your keeper beaten easily at his near post, it seems to be a weak area of Butland that is becoming increasing more noticeable. 

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

Also on the 2nd yellow card, what if the 2nd yellow is for an accumulation of a few niggly fouls? A referee may allow 2-3 niggles without a booking but then he has a line where he thinks another card is due. If you review this on an individual basis then persistent fouling won't get punished.

Yeah. One of the harsher/high profile 2nd yellows that sprang to mind;

that in itself looks harsh, but if you open up reviewing all 2nd yellow decisions that lead to a red then what if, say, he'd been warned for kicking the ball away a few times before it? Ref might make the point that he's blown the whistle long enough before the shot is taken to merit the 2nd yellow, and then what, VAR team say "no you haven't"?

Getting the VAR team to review second yellows would, I reckon, more often than not, just lead to referees getting called to the screen, looking at a few different angles and going "na, I'll stick with my original call" on account of the threshold for a yellow being lower than a red. Not worth it to incrementally increase accuracy on 2nd yellow decisions tbh, that'll still end up with a tonne of grumbling anyway.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I can't be doing with him to be honest. He's absolutely full of himself and talks to everyone like they are kids. It's my age though, it's not aimed at me. My son thinks he's great.

I like that he's promoting Scottish football in a positive light tbh. I don't watch him religiously though. I noticed he interrupts people an awful lot after asking a question and it's something I struggle to not notice now. Similarly I pick and choose McNally's videos for the way he presents. 

This was ten days ago At about 3 minutes 50 there is a very similar second yellow for a challenge in the air. Don’t recall acres of coverage and conspiracy theories about that one though. Happens every week

The angle thats been posted a few times from the camera facing Jefte and the defender (so not the live one we seen) makes it look more like a fair enough yellow tbh, or much less bad than what I thought lastnight.

It is no less or more hilarious though. It's still 10/10 on that front. 

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

If they reviewed second bookings to potentially overturn red cards, then you would have to review every foul made by a player already on a booking. It wouldn't be fair to only reverse wrong decisions one way. You'd have to intervene to send players off as well 

Why would the have to review every foul?
Why would you need to review decisions not to send off as well?

Neither of these is the case. If you're not in favour of reviewing 2nd yellows that lead to reds that's fine. It's not particularly a hill I want to die on, I just think it is something we should be looking at. It's hardly a big stretch from reviewing all straight red cards as we do already to reviewing all red cards. If you have VAR at all then match defining moments are what it's there for.

Your two points above though are straw man arguments. You don't have to do either of those things to take up the option to reconsider the issue of a yellow leading to a red card. If the referee wants to make the point it's for an accumulation of minor offences he's entitled to say so and not review, or not over-turn. They are not usually slow in indicating if something was given for persistent offending.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

Loads of this kind of post. Such a strange fan base. I'm not sure what they actually expect it to achieve.

It probably is pretty well-known that's he's, ahem, a member.

24 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

This was ten days ago At about 3 minutes 50 there is a very similar second yellow for a challenge in the air. Don’t recall acres of coverage and conspiracy theories about that one though. Happens every week

That's really not very similar. Niang barrels into the challenge. I thought at the time it was a bit harsh giving a 2nd booking for it but it's definitely a foul. It's not remotely as atrocious a decision as the Jefti one which quite simply isn't a foul. It being Rangers doesn't make it any less unfair.

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

In one of our previous conversations you were critical about keepers being beaten at their near post.

Both goals last night saw your keeper beaten easily at his near post, it seems to be a weak area of Butland that is becoming increasing more noticeable. 

I was critical of Hart being beaten at his near post vs Fashion Sakala due to the acute angle Sakala scored from. The goals last night were a lot more central, albeit I do feel the first one potentially he could've done better, but I'd need to see it back.

2 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Someone being a bit over dramatic after a game has finished isn't that unusual,  I'm sure that most of PnB has had similar outbursts at times.

19 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Whit?

6 yellows including Olosanya for being FOULED by their keeper?

Nobody EVER gets a yellow for being fouled, m8.

19 hours ago, ArabGaz said:

I thought the red card decision was genuinely one of the worst and most bizarre I can recall seeing. I also thought it was very, very funny so kudos to the Italian ref for brightening up an otherwise dull Tuesday evening. Saluti! 

A second yellow ALWAYS leads to a red card. Pretty straight forward.

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Generally agree with every word of the above two posts. The actual red card decision on Jefte was scandalous. 

Surprised to see you use the word scandalous here. In fact I'm not sure ANY refereeing decision warrants that description.