Belgium vs Scotland

1 hour ago, Blootoon87 said:
1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:
Stop drinking Jupiler immediately, Kwak is the boy & gets served in the best glasses ever. Actually, keep drinking Jupiler as it may allow you to forget the horror that may come

Aye but is Kwak €2 a pint? Didn't think so.

Aye, but Kwak is worth the extra money because it’s the greatest beer on the planet.

As the game approaches I've got a mix of the 'Oh f*ck, this could be humiliating!' and 'Or... it might just be one of those amazing results where we actually get something'.

Realistically, I think we'll perform better than we did vs Cyprus - that match having weeded out flaws in Clarke's plan (or more accurately in the players' execution of it) - but lose 2-1 or 3-1. The narrative will be 'we showed up well and that's the hardest game of the group out of the way.'

Anyway, I'd better go off and sort out my Now TV pass and get a gallon of Kwak in the fridge.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Thinking back to that friendly we played against them at Hampden gives me the fear.

A half-arsed Belgian team playing in 2nd gear bossed the game in every single way...physically, tactically, skill-wise, ball retention and movement, pace.....and only kept it down to 4 because I suspect Martinez took pity on us and got his players to ease off.

We looked like wee boys trying to hold on to the coats of real players.

If we're to have any kind of success tonight, we'll need to find someway to shake the Belgians out of the way they want to play.  

'Sitting back and hitting them on the break'......therefore allowing them territory and possession.....is just a 90 minute suicide note. 

Thinking back to that friendly we played against them at Hampden gives me the fear.
A half-arsed Belgian team playing in 2nd gear bossed the game in every single way...physically, tactically, skill-wise, ball retention and movement, pace.....and only kept it down to 4 because I suspect Martinez took pity on us and got his players to ease off.
If we're to have any kind of success tonight, we'll need to find someway to shake the Belgians out of the way they want to play.  
'Sitting back and hitting them on the break'......therefore allowing them territory and possession.....is just a 90 minute suicide note. 

Yeah, but that game last September was under McLeish.*

*Is what I keep saying in order to convince myself it won't be the same.

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Completely agree with this.

Somehow (and i don't envy Clarke's job to find out how) we need to trouble Belgium with more than corners and free kicks. Their players are too technically gifted to assume we can just shut up shop against them, as they will find the space regardless. If all we do is sit deep they will keep the ball moving until the positional error inevitably comes and punish us.  

34 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

As the game approaches I've got a mix of the 'Oh f*ck, this could be humiliating!' and 'Or... it might just be one of those amazing results where we actually get something'.

These are pretty much my feelings too.  The way I'm looking at it my humiliation will probably have worn off by the morning, an amazing result will be one we're talking about for a decade - so my overall approach is a net excitement.

34 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I take it everyone is buzzing for this?

Depends on your definition of buzzing. If by buzzing you mean dreading it but still plan on watching it in the manner of watching a slow-motion car crash, then I am absolutely buzzing for this. 

55 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

In August 2017, Lee McCulloch's Killie got pumped 5-0 at Celtic Park by a second string Celtic side. Less than two months later, Clarke managed to get a 1-1 draw with their first team, and then went a further three matches unbeaten against them (two wins, one draw). There were only two changes to the starting 11 between the two matches.

Obviously I'm not saying that Clarke is going to get a draw against Belgium tonight, just that a different match under a different manager in different circumstances doesn't necessarily act as a great barometer for what will happen tonight.

11 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Depends on your definition of buzzing. If by buzzing you mean dreading it but still plan on watching it in the manner of watching a slow-motion car crash, then I am absolutely buzzing for this. 

9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

14B36CEC-1788-4750-92B3-CD7B20E98501.gif

Glad we're all on the same page.

32 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

McLean excellent? Thought he did very little. Had a long range effort that was ridiculous and liked to pass back.
First half there midfield did a decent job. Thought ours did very little Is fletcher injured or what's the script with him ?

Actually cant recall McLean making any errors, he has a great habit of passing the ball to his team mates which is needed massively at international level, if we give the ball away tonight, we could be looking at being without it for long periods and be in trouble. Will also add, that I wouldn't have had him anywhere near the starting line up on Saturday before the game.

This game at Heysel aye?  I'd prefer Anderlecht's ground for watching games.  A nice tight ground with the fans right on top of the goals.