The Big Relegation Thread

17 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Who on earth allows Chick Young to pass comment on games? Last night he was ranting about the possible points total we can now aim for and a possible Top 6. Get him retired.

Yeah. I thought we were safe from him given that he'd been farmed out to watch Ayr chuck it vs a rabble of Championship relegation candidates, but any chat that extends beyond 'trying to be safe' needs to die in a ditch.

12 points behind 6th with 18 points left to play for prior to the split and 4 teams with 7 + points to overhaul to make that a reality.

St Mirren are dead certs for top 6. You're all just being negative.

I thought that daft old tart had retired.

He had announced his retirement years back im sure, then changed his mind and for some reason the BBC let him stay, when that was the opportunity to be well rid.

Hes a joke figure on sportsound to the rest of the pundits, and especially Richard Gordon who doesn't miss an opportunity to rip into him, and you're cringing listening to him wittering on aimlessly hoping that he gets to a point, while all he wants to point out is that he's been speaking to someone famous in football.

38 minutes ago, Kyle said:

12 points behind 6th with 18 points left to play for prior to the split and 4 teams with 7 + points to overhaul to make that a reality.

St Mirren are dead certs for top 6. You're all just being negative.

I thought that daft old tart had retired.

No true St Mirren fan would ever talk in those terms. And therein lies the rub.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

From what I read last night, theyll be more than fine as the rest of the bottom half is shite and theyll skoosh their way to 5 wins out of 5 after the split.

Whoever you're reading isn't reflective of the actual feeling among the fans.

I'm keen on avoiding the championship at all costs.

The rebuild sometimes never comes despite what fans might think.

We plummeted head first into two consecutive relegation battles last time we went down and only survived by the skin of our teeth and a bit of a miracle run the 2nd time.

We plummeted head first into two consecutive relegation battles last time we went down and only survived by the skin of our teeth and a bit of a miracle run the 2nd time.

It allows, if nothing else, to get rid of the deadwood desperate signings which all relegated side are full of.

Also the championship next season will be another two horse race.

Be careful what you wish for.

I clearly remember in 2010 when we blew survival that some folk weren't that bothered. "Lots of wins, exciting football, more interesting away days" was the story you heard.

But fail to bounce back straight away and, well, the dangers are obvious.

Yeah but f**k Falkirk, not many are near the same levels of Basket caseism as them or as delusional enough to think that having loads of fans means you win games.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

43 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It allows, if nothing else, to get rid of the deadwood desperate signings which all relegated side are full of.

Also the championship next season will be another two horse race.

See, weirdly, I don't know if we've got that much deadwood, and I don't think we need a clear out. 

You could upgrade us in a lot of positions, but we're certainly far from the car crash we were five years ago.

I admit that might all sound daft given our current situation, but I think we're an improving side.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

See, weirdly, I don't know if we've got that much deadwood, and I don't think we need a clear out. 

You could upgrade us in a lot of positions, but we're certainly far from the car crash we were five years ago.

I admit that might all sound daft given our current situation, but I think we're an improving side.

The worry is, some of our best players, Durmus, McCarthy etc, may not fancy a season in the championship. Imperative we stay up IMO.

4 hours ago, Widge said:

Haven’t even sold out their allocation either I don’t think.

It's not went to public sale yet.

I'm a long time season ticket holder and I don't have enough loyalty points to buy a ticket yet.

11 minutes ago, Johnstoun said:

Fifteen points doesn’t give the Jambos enough of a head start, we’ll have to ask for twenty five.

Once the players realise theres a fire sale in the Summer though, heads might go.

Be careful what you wish for.
I clearly remember in 2010 when we blew survival that some folk weren't that bothered. "Lots of wins, exciting football, more interesting away days" was the story you heard.
But fail to bounce back straight away and, well, the dangers are obvious.
Totally agree with this. Our fans who are saying it'll be better in the championship are fucked in the head. Probably the same ones who accuse our board of a lack of ambition.

We've had under 30 wins from our last 142 league matches (this season so far + the three prior to that), haven't won back-to-back league games in what'll end up being over two years, haven't avoided a relegation battle or finished above 10th since our first season in the Premiership, have set a record-low points total for avoiding the relegation play-off, and haven't put together any decent cup run.

The only reason staying up last year was fun was because we had a new manager and were told how stupid we were for wanting Canning out. The end of the 17/18 season was when I realised that simply surving had become boring. We're an existential crisis of a club.

I know the Championship will be miserable if we do a Thistle and even more so if we get stuck there and do a Falkirk, but there's no enjoyment left for us in the Premiership if we continue doing what we've always done. Then again, what will our aim be when we do go down? Do what Falkirk did for years (and Ayr might be like now) and constantly challenge for promotion but not get it?

We don't want to be in the Premiership when we're in it, but that'll be our main objective when we're not. Again, existential crisis.