Scotland v Belgium (Match Thread)

King Kebab

i don't know if this is a sign of how bad we are but i didnt think we were THAT bad tonight , the goals we conceded were avoidable though but it wasnt as bad as friday night. belgium scored their first 3 shots as well knocked the stuffing out of us but i must say if belgium really wanted to up their game they could of.

im starting to think strachan had a point about the midget comment , i looked at the belgians tonight and they were machines , seeing de bruyne in the flesh , technically superb and can run all night and at some pace , we are so far off that , we look like little boys now and we arent even physical anymore.

1 minute ago, DanMc99 said:

i don't know if this is a sign of how bad we are but i didnt think we were THAT bad tonight , the goals we conceded were avoidable though but it wasnt as bad as friday night. belgium scored their first 3 shots as well knocked the stuffing out of us but i must say if belgium really wanted to up their game they could of.

im starting to think strachan had a point about the midget comment , i looked at the belgians tonight and they were machines , seeing de bruyne in the flesh , technically superb and can run all night and at some pace , we are so far off that , we look like little boys now and we arent even physical anymore.

It was playing against Belgium that set Strachan off on this. He said was standing in the tunnel with the two teams and was just totally struck by the difference in the size of the players on each side. 

Just now, SpoonTon said:

It was playing against Belgium that set Strachan off on this. He said was standing in the tunnel with the two teams and was just totally struck by the difference in the size of the players on each side. 

what shocked me was , seeing ryan christie who has bulked up quite a bit over the last year , stood next to dendoncker and de bruyne , he looked tiny .

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Our goal difference is minus 8. I wonder what our worst ever GD is.

So I looked it up.

Our Euro qualifying goal difference, working backwards from 2016 (successful campaigns in bold):

+10 (10 matches), -1 (8), +9 (12), -1 (10), +4 (12), +16 (10), +7 (8), +2 (8), -2 (6), +2 (8), +2 (6), -3 (6), +2 (6).

World Cup goal difference, working backwards from 2018:

+5 (10 matches), -4 (10), -5 (8), +2 (10), +6 (8), +12 (10), +1 (10), 0 (8), +6 (8), +5 (8), +3 (4), +5 (4), +11 (6), 0 (6), +1 (5), +1 (4), 0 (3), +7 (3).

So our worst in a Euro campaign is -3 from 6 games in 1972; our worst from a World Cup campaign (tougher groups) is -5 from 8 games in 2010.

Right now we're on -8 from 6 games. We've got San Marino and Kazakhstan at home, but also Russia away and who feels confident about Cyprus? It'll be a battle to avoid our worst ever goal difference.

That was an absolute chasing. They are a decent side, but we were only in the game for fleeting moments. There wasn’t much to get behind from a fans point of view.

Only 25,000 turning up to see us take on the No.1 team in the rankings. I wonder how many will be there for San Marino?

Hopefully we can get a consistent first XI ahead of the play-offs.

We're on 6 points from 6 games. Adjusting to three points for a win, the only time we've ever finished worse than one point per match average was the Euro 1984 qualifiers when we got one win and two draws against Belgium, Switzerland and East Germany. No cannon fodder in those days.

Well, apart from people trying to escape East Germany...

Our next worst is 1.1 points per match from the Euro 2014 qualifiers, when we had... bloody Belgium again, Croatia, Serbia, Wales and Macedonia. Six of our 11 points in that group came after we'd been eliminated.

There is maybe the start of something coherent in midfield and we still have a decent keeper for now.

We have nae strikers, not even any of the Premier league journeymen standard (a McFadden or Miller) who will offer a threat and bang one in semi regularly. Steven Fletcher remains the best hope in my mind short term.

Defence is a train wreck, you hope that McKenna and Souttar or Bates strike up a partnership and we find a right back from somewhere, maybe Fredericks. Lindsay's continued omission isn't good.

May as well leave Clarke to have a long crack at it, he's got poor materials to work with at the two ends of the pitch.

Robertson is never a captain. 

The team badly needs a leader out there to stop them completely crumbling under the slightest bit of pressure. 

When Tierney is fit I would try him in a back 3 with McTominay and another. The CB choices are fucking awful but at least Tierney and McTominay would give us some sort of athleticism and composure on the ball at the back letting us play higher up the park(doubt we’ll actually ever try and play football and a high line  though with Clarke in charge). 

I didn’t think we were actually that bad either. Belgium were just absolutely ruthless and scored nearly every time they went up the pitch. We were actually better than Friday and if we can sort out the confidence in the team, the good play that we did have tonight will start lasting beyond losing a goal.

9 minutes ago, kykudi said:

Robertson is never a captain. 

The team badly needs a leader out there to stop them completely crumbling under the slightest bit of pressure. 

When Tierney is fit I would try him in a back 3 with McTominay and another. The CB choices are fucking awful but at least Tierney and McTominay would give us some sort of athleticism and composure on the ball at the back letting us play higher up the park(doubt we’ll actually ever try and play football and a high line  though with Clarke in charge). 

i think robertson is feeling the pressure of being captain, i hope he can grow into the role , we know he's capable of far better, if the team settles down , i think we will see th best of him. if tierney comes back he can play in the middle of a 3 and robertson as a wing back.

Despite the scoreline, it was an improvement on Friday. Belgium are a top class outfit and will give better sides than ours a similar going over. De Bruyne is a world class player who would walk into any side in the world.

It's not going to change overnight, we're looking at gradual improvement and small steps.

2 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Despite the scoreline, it was an improvement on Friday. Belgium are a top class outfit and will give better sides than ours a similar going over. De Bruyne is a world class player who would walk into any side in the world.

It's not going to change overnight, we're looking at gradual improvement and small steps.

I agree. Emotionally, I'm checking out until March and hope we bring the best of what we can offer in the play-offs, and just maybe I can celebrate qualifying for the first major tournament in my lifetime on my birthday. If we can get some wins in the interim between then that's good too.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

2 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I’m struggling to find any improvements from Friday but I don’t think a post mortem after playing one of the best teams in the world is the best timing. Just need to hope we can find a bit of form over the last few qualifiers to take into the new year. 

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

Just watched the goals back.

Kenny McLean's ball watching at the second goal is quite something. Did he think he was there as a spectator?

He was not ( one of  ) our defensive midfielders then

Seriously he is supposed to be an effing professional footballer

Was Mc Tominay any better ?

It ended up three Belgian attackers v. one of our defenders. Pathetic !

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Still find it utterly deplorable that the blazers thought that getting rid of Strachan with absolutely no plan whatsoever was a good idea. Scandalous decision. 

They did have a plan to be fair, they wanted Michael O'Neill.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

They might want to look along the M8 where, in 8 years, crowds for the two home world cup warm-up matches have increased from a combined sub 50,000 to 120,000.

Alcohol helps with that one. Rugby is daytripper central for a lot of folks. 

The 'week of football' TV pish has ruined the attendances.