Prince Andrew BBC

D.A.F.C

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Sow this linked in the comments under an Independent opinion piece, what a sleazy world these rich folk chose for themselves.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1361039/Prince-Andrew-girl-17-sex-offender-friend-flew-Britain-meet-him.html

"

The photograph that appeared last weekend shows the prince strolling through Central Park with 58-year-old Epstein. Andrew was said to have spent four days at his New York mansion in December, when he was joined by other distinguished guests, including Woody Allen, at a dinner."

He certainly knows how to pick his friends........

10 Undeniable Facts About the Woody Allen Sexual-Abuse Allegation | Vanity Fair

7 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Dame Cressida Dick stating "Nobody is above the law" in relation to the Pronce this morning. Which will come as a great comfort to the bereaved families of Brazilian electricians everywhere. 

If any police officer should have been forced out of their job long ago, it's Cressida Dick.  Appalling creature.

The UK police will do exactly zero to pursue the case against Andrew.  Just as they have done zero so far.

Aside from the obligatory soundbites as above from Cressida Dick etc etc.

Edited by beefybake

If it wasn’t for them, The Crown would never have been made. I’m soldiering through that of an evening on Netflix. No mention of Prince Andrew pumping sex-trafficked 17-year-olds yet but he’s only young.
Ah, you need The Windsors currently being repeated on 4 Music . It's glorious stuff.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
22 hours ago, Scary Bear said:
If it wasn’t for them, The Crown would never have been made. I’m soldiering through that of an evening on Netflix. No mention of Prince Andrew pumping sex-trafficked 17-year-olds yet but he’s only young.

Ah, you need The Windsors currently being repeated on 4 Music . It's glorious stuff.

I am also a fan of The Windsors. They have Andrew right on that show.

Cressida Dick will believe that protecting the royal family is ‘in the best interest of the country’ and will do what it takes to cover up, obfuscate and hinder any investigation.  Millions of people in the U.K. will support her in doing this.

14 hours ago, beefybake said:

If any police officer should have been forced out of their job long ago, it's Cressida Dick.  Appalling creature.

The UK police will do exactly zero to pursue the case against Andrew.  Just as they have done zero so far.

Aside from the obligatory soundbites as above from Cressida Dick etc etc.

I genuinely despise her. She just embodies everything that people hate about the police. She's got no intention of questioning Andrew, you don't go to the media to assure the public you're going to question someone, you just fucking question them. 

So, I'm sure this will have been asked before, and perhaps on this thread, but is there any justification for the royal family to exist?

The usual claims are:

Tourism - this is a classic conflation of tourists coming to visit and tourists coming to visit the Queen. Take Buckingham Palace, the vast majority of people when asked "would you still come here if the Queen wasn't there" said yes. The home of the House of Windsor, Windsor Castle, has less visitors than Chester Zoo. The idea that the royals are integral to tourists coming here is just wrong, plain wrong.

The make us money - how? Just how? Through tourism? Well that's easily debunked. By adding to the public coffers? Don't be daft, she and her family earn money from land that they claimed through violence. If I decide to kick down your door, kill your family then claim your garden would I get to keep it then ask you for taxes, after which I demand you pay for the upkeep? Of course not. The simple fact is the royal family is a drain on the public purse, not a revenue income.

Charity - Often trotted out by those wrapped in a "Diana People's Princess" flag. Are we seriously claiming the only people who can fluff up a WI meeting is someone who costs a fucking fortune to ship around the country. Yeah. this is grasping at straws.

There is absolutely no justification for the royal family to exist, they are an anachronism, an insult to the ideals of equity, and a drain on the public purse. Get the fuckers in the sea, reclaim the stolen land and remove any ideas of the monarchy being patronised in an independent Scotland.

Edited by Ric

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

There is absolutely no justification for the royal family to exist, they are an anachronism, an insult to the ideals of equity, and a drain on the public purse. Get the fuckers in the sea, reclaim the stolen land and remove any ideas of the monarchy being patronised in an independent Scotland.

The Crown Estate is the company/organisation that owns all the lands, titles, companies, holdings, etc. that are the property of the Sovereign (QEII for us at the minute). I can't mind off hand which king it was but they ran up a bunch of debts as royals are keen on doing and kept going back to parliament to bail him out as all his money was in land and stuff and it's not as easy as you might think for 17th century royals to sell half of Wales to cover losses at the blackjack table. As a compromise it was agreed the royal family need a steady supply of cold, hard, cash and the government has a role to look after their land. So the Crown Estate was established with the cash going into the government directly and covers all that I mentioned earlier and, in return, the government pays the Royal Family basically a "wage". In the centuries that have followed the money the Crown Estate brings in is FAR more than what the government pays the Royal Family. All the bickering about tourist income is a sideshow. If we remove the Royal Family the government also loses all rights to the income from the Crown Estates which would go directly into the pockets of the Royal Family if/when they become ordinary private citizens. Right now it goes back to the Government. 

This isn't  defence of the Royal Family. Just an explanation as to why they do bring in income. 

Your comment doesn't change my argument, the royal family are not the drivers of revenue for the Crown Estate, that is a fact. They received nearly £70 million pounds last audit, the only figure I could find for the Crown Estate is a net figure of about £270m.

£70m a year, from the public purse, to open a few fetes for the WI, bitch about Scottish independence and trying to keep her son from facing the legal consequences of his actions.

As for the ownership issue, that only strengthens my point.

All the while the English Empire lot will wave their flags, tug their forelocks, while getting down on their knees and kissing metaphorical royal ass. It's disgusting to see such sycophancy towards something that simply shouldn't exist in the modern age.

The soft soap bullshit of TV programmes glamourising their shit is utterly sickening.

Edited by Ric

14 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I am also a fan of The Windsors. They have Andrew right on that show.

That show makes me feel old because they have Haydn Gwynne, who was a wid in Drop the Dead Donkey, as bloody Camilla.

28 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The Crown Estate is the company/organisation that owns all the lands, titles, companies, holdings, etc. that are the property of the Sovereign (QEII for us at the minute). I can't mind off hand which king it was but they ran up a bunch of debts as royals are keen on doing and kept going back to parliament to bail him out as all his money was in land and stuff and it's not as easy as you might think for 17th century royals to sell half of Wales to cover losses at the blackjack table. As a compromise it was agreed the royal family need a steady supply of cold, hard, cash and the government has a role to look after their land. So the Crown Estate was established with the cash going into the government directly and covers all that I mentioned earlier and, in return, the government pays the Royal Family basically a "wage". In the centuries that have followed the money the Crown Estate brings in is FAR more than what the government pays the Royal Family. All the bickering about tourist income is a sideshow. If we remove the Royal Family the government also loses all rights to the income from the Crown Estates which would go directly into the pockets of the Royal Family if/when they become ordinary private citizens. Right now it goes back to the Government. 

This isn't  defence of the Royal Family. Just an explanation as to why they do bring in income. 

It was George III, so perhaps he wasn't that mad after all

1 hour ago, Ric said:

So, I'm sure this will have been asked before, and perhaps on this thread, but is there any justification for the royal family to exist?

The usual claims are:

Tourism - this is a classic conflation of tourists coming to visit and tourists coming to visit the Queen. Take Buckingham Palace, the vast majority of people when asked "would you still come here if the Queen was there" said yes. The home of the House of Windsor, Windsor Castle, has less visitors than Chester Zoo. The idea that the royals are integral to tourists coming here is just wrong, plain wrong.

The make us money - how? Just how? Through tourism? Well that's easily debunked. By adding to the public coffers? Don't be daft, she and her family earn money from land that they claimed through violence. If I decide to kick down your door, kill your family then claim your garden would I get to keep it then ask you for taxes, after which I demand you pay for the upkeep? Of course not. The simple fact is the royal family is a drain on the public purse, not a revenue income.

Charity - Often trotted out by those wrapped in a "Diana People's Princess" flag. Are we seriously claiming the only people who can fluff up a WI meeting is someone who costs a fucking fortune to ship around the country. Yeah. this is grasping at straws.

For me, if we get rid of them then we end up electing a president. 

Knowing the English electorate, we'll end up with President Farage.

25 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Why is it mutually inclusive? The removal of a family which epitomises the inequities of the privileged classes is not a pre-cursor to a president.

What's more, the removal of the royal family should also coincide with the removal of Westminster rule, with that simple act we don't need to care who a foreign country elects.

I'm more concerned by the absolute deification and obsession with them that British society has, more so than any monies they take from their subjects. It means that we'll never be rid of them in our lifetimes.

They appear to be an exceptionally boring group of people, yet some people are fascinated by them, and we're bombarded by tedious information about their lives. Every family could be given a day as the "Royal Family" on a rotation basis, provided with the monies meant for the Windsors on that day, and would likely provide better juicy tabloid prurience for fans of the royal soap opera.

Quite liking that idea, actually. Run a daily lottery to select a different elderly woman on the state pension and make her the Head of State, with all related monies. The cameras can follow her about doing "royal duties" (f**k all) and interview her about the wrong 'uns in her family for entertainment. When one of them screams racist abuse at foreign dignitaries, we can all pretend it's just japes and that everyone abroad loves her, really.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Nigel Farage has lost 7/7 times standing as an individual candidate for election in the UK.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

The usual claims are:

Tourism - this is a classic conflation of tourists coming to visit and tourists coming to visit the Queen. Take Buckingham Palace, the vast majority of people when asked "would you still come here if the Queen was there" said yes. The home of the House of Windsor, Windsor Castle, has less visitors than Chester Zoo. The idea that the royals are integral to tourists coming here is just wrong, plain wrong.

They were chosen by God