Ethical veganism protected by law

I find the whole concept of protected categories pretty bizarre.  I don't think this guy should be sacked for being a vegan (maybe for being a twat), but then I don't think I should be sacked for being a Stirling Albion fan, and that's not a protected category.  Why should his ethical conviction on veganism be see as more important to employment status than my support of a Scottish League 2 football team?

8 minutes ago, Gnash said:

I find the whole concept of protected categories pretty bizarre.  I don't think this guy should be sacked for being a vegan (maybe for being a twat), but then I don't think I should be sacked for being a Stirling Albion fan, and that's not a protected category.  Why should his ethical conviction on veganism be see as more important to employment status than my support of a Scottish League 2 football team?

Well it does call into question the state of your mental health

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

The ability to be vegan is very much a first world privilege so the "holier than thou" vegan types really grind my gears.

The practice of non-violence towards all living beings has led to Jain culture being vegetarian. Devout Jains practice lacto-vegetarianism, meaning that they eat no eggs, but accept dairy products if there is no violence against animals during their production. Veganism is encouraged if there are concerns about animal welfare.[64] Jain monks and nuns do not eat root vegetables such as potatoes, onions, and garlic because tiny organisms are injured when the plant is pulled up, and because a bulb or tuber's ability to sprout is seen as characteristic of a higher living being.[65][note 3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism#Food_and_fasting

Variations of it have been around for thousands of years. 

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

The guy can hold whatever view he wants on veganism as long as he's not doing any harm.

Why is it that the usual suspects get so fucking offended and angry by those who don't share their views?

Are your lives so devoid of meaning that you can't let others get on with their lives without feeling the constant need to drag them down? Doesn't that exhaust you?

No.

15 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism#Food_and_fasting

Variations of it have been around for thousands of years. 

They sound like the ultimate hippies until you take a look at their religious symbol, which manages to combine a swastika and what looks like a red hand of Ulster.

And four wee dots, which I'm sure means something sinister somewhere as well...

junl20i1.gif

Edited by Hillonearth

Just now, oaksoft said:

Fair enough. It certainly makes you miserable b*****ds though.

Still, if you don't mind sucking the life out of everything and everyone around you I suppose that's fair play.

I wouldn't be allowed to suck the life out of anything if he had his way. (Kenneth Williams incoming)

10 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

They sound like the ultimate hippies until you take a look at their religious symbol, which manages to combine a swastika and what looks like a red hand of Ulster.

junl20i1.gif

The big coo must stay open.

5 hours ago, Michael W said:

His former employers did not contest that his beliefs were philosophical; only that he was not unfairly dismissed. 

Putting the case aside, not using a bus in case it kills a few insects is derangement territory.  I really fear for the bloke's reaction were he to accidentally stand on a slug or something. 

Hopefully he'll be seeing a lot of this now that his face is now public knowledge.

PointedArcticAssassinbug-size_restricted

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I've come across a few like that over the past few years - simplistic "meat is killing the planet" shite that ignores the reality that two-thirds of carbon emissions come from inefficient transportation and energy use.

I also wonder how he might react when you point out to him that almost also vegetable production uses some sort of organic animal waste in the shape of manure - often pig slurry.

If he genuinely is an ethical vegetarian then the only way he could guarantee it would be growing all his own food, directly sourcing all his own clothing etc etc. It's middle class posturing of the worst kind.

Haha 

Imagine trying to make things a bit better when you cant change everything.

What a dick!!

Haha 
Imagine trying to make things a bit better when you cant change everything.
What a dick!!
No issue with someone who wants to be vegan - my own daughter and son-in-law are both vegans.

What I can't stand is the holier-than-thou wankers who use pseudoscience and made up facts to back their agenda.

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No issue with someone who wants to be vegan - my own daughter and son-in-law are both vegans.

What I can't stand is the holier-than-thou wankers who use pseudoscience and made up facts to back their agenda.

Fair fucks

Veganuary sums these daft c***s up. Lets all go vegan in a month where there is no fresh fruit and veg in season and we will have to fly/ship it all in.

There is also a lot of shite spoken about the environmental impact of meat production. Fair enough you shouldnt be chopping the amazon down for cattle ranches but in Scotland the environmental impact is much worse  on flora and fauna where vast acreage is given over to monocultures than if you have sheep and cows in a field shitting everywhere and creating habitat for insects and birds.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

junl20i1.gif

Is that a diagram of the tattoo on Chick Young's willie? 

12 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

There must be more to his sacking than telling colleagues what their pension fund invested in, though they've not decided on that bit yet.

The allegation is that he blabbed to someone else, thus breaching some data protection, confidentiality rules.