Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

Metal surfaces can hold the virus for up to 9 days even outside.

In minute quantities if at all that would be very unlikely to do any harm. Not to say you shouldn't wash your hands all the time just in case.

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Now is the time to get yourself sorted with iptv and vod mate. Everything you could ever want to watch at your fingertips 

Using ENTV myself. 

60 quid a year for all UK/US channels and VOD content. Or over 150 quid for a BBC licence....... real mind teaser.

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The antibody test. Not far away from being rolled out I believe. Latest news articles seem to be that the government are in discussions with Amazon about distributing it.

I’m a Prime subscriber; hopefully will get mine quicker.

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Excellent panic mongering. I assume you have a very reliable source before spreading this? 

Heard it on the radio this morning. Was specific about metal shiny surfaces.

Currently, the emergence of a novel human coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, has become a global health concern causing severe respiratory tract infections in humans. Human-to-human transmissions have been described with incubation times between 2-10 days, facilitating its spread via droplets, contaminated hands or surfaces. We therefore reviewed the literature on all available information about the persistence of human and veterinary coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces as well as inactivation strategies with biocidal agents used for chemical disinfection, e.g. in healthcare facilities. The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62–71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute. Other biocidal agents such as 0.05–0.2% benzalkonium chloride or 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate are less effective. As no specific therapies are available for SARS-CoV-2, early containment and prevention of further spread will be crucial to stop the ongoing outbreak and to control this novel infectious thread.

Source: https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext?mobileUi=0

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

In minute quantities if at all that would be very unlikely to do any harm. Not to say you shouldn't wash your hands all the time just in case.

That's what I took from it too.

28 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

You're even avoiding gates and stiles which is no easy task, I think the odds of you spreading it or catching it would be vanishingly small.

For me it's just easier to consider all of that off limits for the moment. I had an (essential) delivery today and the number of steps I had to take to get the contents of a cardboard box into my house gave me a headache so thinking of all the angles for a trip to the hills would do the same.

To be clear I wouldn't go to the hills, I wouldn't risk a turned ankle and the need to call out the mountain rescue. Just parks and known paths. 

23 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've just ordered some disposable gloves from Toolstation to collect for similar purposes, thankfully I've got a pair left for the transaction. Cardboard is supposed to be fairly safe though as it absorbs the virus, unlike hard surfaces that can transfer it.

Got a couple of packs today for possible return to non-essential work on Wednesday. Went into another shop as they had masks. A pound each, scamming bastirts!

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Latest news articles seem to be that the government are in discussions with Amazon about distributing it.

The future of Scotland's health in the hands of working class Fifers.

Play nice.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

The official advice went from "we're building herd immunity" to "stay way from everyone, don't visit pubs and isolate if you're high risk" in the space of two days. The official advice differs from other countries too, some other countries who appear to have a better handle on spread than us. Surely you can see why some people have a problem with the official advice, and why they think just staying indoors at all times is the better option than what you propose?

No, I don't. And just because the advice has changed doesn't mean it was ever wrong advice.

They're not balancing it against the risks of staying inside either. It is hazardous to stay in the house for months and months, which is why the CMO said we "should" get out once a day to exercise.

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I think the “stay at home” brigade need to wind their necks in and stop attacking sensible folk for wanting to go out for fresh air. If you want to get angry at people, get angry at the arseholes who went to the pub last night or the ones who are down the local park mingling together and behaving as if everything’s fine.

The official government advice does NOT say to stay indoors. These people who are shouting at others for daring to step foot outside are making their own rules up.

Nobody is being attacked or shouted at, we don't always need victims in debates. GordonS earlier admitted to mingling with his family down the park, you seem to be against that in your above post. Both of you think it's fine to be outside but have different interpretations of what is fine to do outside. See how these "guidelines" get bent?

The analogy here seems to be that you can’t go and buy a couple of essentials from the shops because that would be encouraging morons to see you doing that and then decide they should go and panic buy half the shop.

And ergo you are to blame for the panic buyer.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

No, I don't. And just because the advice has changed doesn't mean it was ever wrong advice.

:lol:

Letting a highly contagious virus we didn't know how to cure or how deadly it would be spread across the population was the right advice was it? Come on m8.

This is actually quite scary, 

"It is anticipated that coronavirus cases in the UK will soon begin to double every few days, peaking throughout June".

This is only March, God knows what the figures will be like come June !!!

Guest bernardblack
"It is anticipated that coronavirus cases in the UK will soon begin to double every few days, peaking throughout June".

Source?

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

G D might not be too far out with his carefully calculated 300,000,000 estimate.