Coronavirus (COVID-19)

31 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Properly jealous of all these teachers that can have their windows open and heating on. The heating in our classrooms is utter cack so even when it's on its still fucking freezing.

I open the windows but don't turn on the heating - let's all be cold and miserable together.  

All this expertise in one individual.

Education authority.

Virology boffin.

Economics guru.

We haven't had this kind of thinks-they-know-it-all posting since Professor Oaksoft.

He should be running the country from his Inverclyde bin.

Your account is literally a tribute act to vT.

The number of students self isolating in my wifes school is huge.  Most of her classes are more than 50% down.  There are also increasing numbers of parents keeping their kids off school even though they don't have the virus or have been told to self isolate, either because they don't want to get it or have to self-isolate during the holidays.

On the Christmas thing, I think what you will see is the 4 nation approach will be broken up with Boris keeping the current plan for England but the FM will either reduce the number of days from 5 to say 2 or reduced the household from 3 to 1 or any combination of the both. 

No government will what to be see to cancel Christmas altogether as it be political suicide and especially with the Scottish elections in May   

All talk of the Swedish model throughout the pandemic, but I think the Germans have got their rules around the next few weeks spot on.

We could do worse than follow our European friends who have continually performed better than our UK leaders.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

He's been in vintage form this year. Like Tyson Fury coming back and boxing rings round Wilder after 3 years on coke and Stella.

He clearly kens the score with lockdowns/shielding etc.  And he's right, we cannot kill the economy in this country so some obese slags with 6 children from 8 different men can sit on Facebook all day sharing 'All Lives Matter' memes and not have to deal with helping her litter through blended learning.  Or some gammon can have their extended family round on the 25th for a gloried Sunday dinner.

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He clearly kens the score with lockdowns/shielding etc.  And he's right, we cannot kill the economy in this country so some obese slags with 6 children from 8 different men can sit on Facebook all day sharing 'All Lives Matter' memes and not have to deal with helping her litter through blended learning.  Or some gammon can have their extended family round on the 25th for a gloried Sunday dinner.

He's not gonna shag you mate.

9 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I feel like the effect of Christmas on cases is getting overstated a bit.

The big concern about Christmas is people ignoring all the precautions we have gotten used to on the basis of "oh come on, it's Christmas" as if the virus has taken the day off as well.

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

:o

Whats the P&B best predictions for next year and beyond?  Personally I think the way we are going just now a lot of next year will be a bogey including football in the summer, other countries with better leadership might get a closer level of normality .  going to the pub could become a bit of a farce like ordering a breakfast you don't want at one of those early serve pubs so you can have a pint

Nad.him Zahawi has tweeted the numbers of vaccinations so far.

England - 108,000

Wales - 7,897

Northern Ireland - 4,000

Scotland - 18,000.

ETA, why is d-h-i-m starred out?

Edited by ICTChris

Whats the P&B best predictions for next year and beyond?  Personally I think the way we are going just now a lot of next year will be a bogey including football in the summer, other countries with better leadership might get a closer level of normality .  going to the pub could become a bit of a farce like ordering a breakfast you don't want at one of those early serve pubs so you can have a pint
I would hope for a well coordinated vaccine program which would allow some level of normality by spring or summer at the latest.

I think the devolved nations will take different approaches and will each make a c**t of it in different ways. For example, England don't actually bother tracking how many people have been vaccinated and are therefore unable to make an informed decision on whether restrictions can be lifted. In Scotland I think we'll fare better but I still fear we'll go with an overly cautious approach in terms of restrictions. Even at the moment there are a few areas which really should be in tier 0 but aren't.

I would also hope that less emphasis is put on cases and more focus is given to how many people have been vaccinated and how many people are admitted to hospital/ICU. It's obviously still early days but once the vulnerable have been vaccinated then pressure on the NHS should start to ease. There might still be 1000+ people a day getting the virus but if none of those people are being admitted to hospital there really should be no need for restrictions beyond making people self-isolate.

7 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine will be a game changer when it is regulated and rolled out. Its the breaking news I'm certainly waiting for above all others.

Get that fired into folks via Nerf Guns at on a massive scale of and we can start easing these awful restrictions.

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Nad.him Zahawi has tweeted the numbers of vaccinations so far.

England - 108,000

Wales - 7,897

Northern Ireland - 4,000

Scotland - 18,000.

ETA, why is d-h-i-m starred out?

How many actual doses is there in the UK? I know we have 4 million reserved but I guess we don't actually have that many. Is Pfizer currently cranking doses out now?

1 minute ago, renton said:

How many actual doses is there in the UK? I know we have 4 million reserved but I guess we don't actually have that many. Is Pfizer currently cranking doses out now?

500.  We've been injecting people with tonic water, banking on the placebo effect.