Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Wait... So they've looked at the most recent data today and decided that their original modelling for no action until Jan 3rd is looking good?

That's absolutely astonishing.

Why do we fund these people?

Edited by Todd_is_God

29 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I have to say, I just wouldn't tolerate using any business which insisted on this.

Why put yourself through it?

it's not so much the business it's the law itself that causes this farce, masks are required in all indoor public with the exception of ; gym exercise areas, swimming pools and whilst changing, when seated at a table in a cafe. Bannatynes gymes all haver swimming pools and cafe's so around 80 % of the premises is exempt from mask wearing but the law still applies for the rest as PB mentions. you could fault bannatynes themselves for enforcing the farcical walk to the changing rooms and 10 feet to buy a kitkat but it is the law which is a farce  

7 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Ooooooft, fantastic stuff. 

Fwiw today’s hospitalisations/deaths stats were incredible news. Vaccines working beautifully.

Big numbers of cases are simply not translating to huge numbers of hospitalizations. Hospitalizations are not translating to huge ICU increase. ICU numbers are not translating to big increases in deaths.

We will see rises in the coming weeks. Like any flu season, after Christmas mixing. Let’s get on with things ffs 

We will still be treated to more fire and brimstone pish from Sturgeon and Swinney for a while yet. 

6 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I don’t really see the relevance of the guy’s age or political views tbh.

All it does is share news articles from other sources. Virtually every news outlet has an agenda- the byline times is hardly impartial itself.

He is very selective in the stories he shares.  I think using the handle 'Politics For All' is a bit of a misnomer given it's only stories that suit his beliefs that he shares.  You are right though, his age shouldn't come into it ,and there is agenda with most news outlets. 

A pandemic and public health crisis should transcend politics. A view on restrictions is not left versus right wing; or SNP v Tory; or good v evil.

Its really frustrating that everything is viewed through a political prism and that a huge chunk of the populace are so tribal in their outlook they seem to have lost the ability for original thought and to think critically. 

13 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

A pandemic and public health crisis should transcend politics. A view on restrictions is not left versus right wing; or SNP v Tory; or good v evil.

Its really frustrating that everything is viewed through a political prism and that a huge chunk of the populace are so tribal in their outlook they seem to have lost the ability for original thought and to think critically. 

Agreed.

However, you'll struggle to find anywhere that handles the issue more tribally than here.

Because I've been critical of some posting on this thread, I've been labelled a "God botherer", a defender of the current football restrictions and someone whose "patter" has somehow been defeated by the welcome fact that serious illness does not seem to be on the rise.  

None of it bears any relation to things I've said, but the accusations still fly, with lots of support from the usuals.

This is the home of the tribal take.

One of the interesting things about the pandemic in Scotland is that there hasn’t really been any parliamentary opposition to the decisions the SG have made. The opposition seems to come entirely from social media, sites like this or the general public.

It does make me wonder how the SG and their supporters would behave if there was a serious opposition who had the prospect of beating them and turfing them out of office.

it's not so much the business it's the law itself that causes this farce, masks are required in all indoor public with the exception of ; gym exercise areas, swimming pools and whilst changing, when seated at a table in a cafe. Bannatynes gymes all haver swimming pools and cafe's so around 80 % of the premises is exempt from mask wearing but the law still applies for the rest as PB mentions. you could fault bannatynes themselves for enforcing the farcical walk to the changing rooms and 10 feet to buy a kitkat but it is the law which is a farce  

Masking policy was a nonsense once you had self-defining exemptions.

36 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

One of the interesting things about the pandemic in Scotland is that there hasn’t really been any parliamentary opposition to the decisions the SG have made. The opposition seems to come entirely from social media, sites like this or the general public.

It does make me wonder how the SG and their supporters would behave if there was a serious opposition who had the prospect of beating them and turfing them out of office.

The last 18 or so months have proven just how much we need effective opposition.

It’s likely going to have to be an independence favouring party, but I’m quite certain it won’t be Alba. 

More, now than ever, the door is wide open for a splinter group to form a new party that might just take some seats and give the SNP a scare.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

It's not just Scotland but across the world.

Very little opposition to restrictions.

It's like a war government - the opposition are just too scared to rock the boat.

Any accountability is limited to the logistics of decisions not the decisions themselves.

34 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Surely the more pertinent question is why none of the opposition parties have broken with their largely conciliatory line with the government response.

Presumably it's partly because they don't see any electoral advantages to opposing current government policy and don't want to seem like they are out of touch with public opinion?

Also, you have the added complication that each of the three biggest parties in Scotland are all in government somewhere: Tories in London, Labour in Wales, SNP here. So the opposition parties can't really oppose the SNP on policies that their own colleagues are enacting elsewhere?

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Because I've been critical of some posting on this thread, I've been labelled a "God botherer", a defender of the current football restrictions and someone whose "patter" has somehow been defeated by the welcome fact that serious illness does not seem to be on the rise.  

None of it bears any relation to things I've said, but the accusations still fly, with lots of support from the usuals.

Good lord. Get off your cross 😂

20 minutes ago, renton said:

Surely the more pertinent question is why none of the opposition parties have broken with their largely conciliatory line with the government response.

Presumably it's partly because they don't see any electoral advantages to opposing current government policy and don't want to seem like they are out of touch with public opinion?

Also, you have the added complication that each of the three biggest parties in Scotland are all in government somewhere: Tories in London, Labour in Wales, SNP here. So the opposition parties can't really oppose the SNP on policies that their own colleagues are enacting elsewhere?

And the media area a part of the political parties they support so can't say anything either. It's perfect!

25 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

The last 18 or so months have proven just how much we need effective opposition.

It’s likely going to have to be an independence favouring party, but I’m quite certain it won’t be Alba. 

More, now than ever, the door is wide open for a splinter group to form a new party that might just take some seats and give the SNP a scare.

You should start one, you really should.  I’m sure there’s plenty of folk on this thread only too willing to get involved.

8 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Wait... So they've looked at the most recent data today and decided that their original modelling for no action until Jan 3rd is looking good?

That's absolutely astonishing.

Why do we fund these people?

Also: what 'value' is this supposed to add for the people making the decisions?

20 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I know there is a few medical people on this thread so thought I’d ask here instead of the futility of getting a doctor. Last night for the second time since Aug, I took a turn. Ears started to ring so loud, I got really warm, struggled to breath, felt so lightheaded that I lay on the floor so I wouldn’t faint. Thankfully it passed after about 10 mins, but I don’t feel my heart rate is 100% today. Any ideas? 

I had something similar few months ago. I woke up when i lifted my leg, must of been a trapped nerve or pulled muscle. Pain was awful and my ears started ringing and went deaf for a minute. Stumbled to the kitchen for water and that calmed me down.