Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Yeah it was a steady progression from wearing it in all scenarios required (to the point of not going into a shop if I’d forgotten one), to then occasionally forgetting one and just going ahead without, to now actively not bothering unless there would be a real issue/I wouldn’t get entry without one. Think it’ll take enough people just giving up on them for SG to then claim they’ve decided to make it guidance.

22 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Think it’ll take enough people just giving up on them for SG to then claim they’ve decided to make it guidance.

Someone mentioned this before but, as welcome as that would be for most of us, it won't help the poor staff who continued to be forced to wear one all day by their employer deciding that following the guidance is the only way to avoid negative PR / complaints from customers and staff who feel they no longer care.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I’ve been on a deliberate slide for the last few weeks gradually pushing the boundaries and seeing what reaction it provoked but my mask is now gone forever. 

Various pubs (obvs), Baynes, Morrisons, Scotmid, Greggs, Kwik Fit, Turnberry, Gleneagles, it has been interesting to see no staff challenging it but getting the odd glance from other customers. The more of us that get them in the bin the sooner the ridiculous mandate will end. 

It’s not yet quite up there with Rosa Parks but I’m doing my wee bit. 

On 02/02/2022 at 09:41, NorthernLights said:

I had a second PCR test on Sunday morning and got the result on Monday morning, positive.

Out of curiosity I've taken an LFT every morning to see what it says. Every single one I've done so far have been negative.

My symptoms so far have been feeling incredibly tired on Sunday and Monday and a slightly tickly throat yesterday and today.

My symptoms never went beyond those - no fever, no coughing, no loss of taste or smell. Today was my last official day of isolation. We did leave the house but we kept it sensible and did things that meant we were far from others or were more or less alone and had family drop off shopping that we needed, as Nicola would say some "basic common sense" was used.

I’m absolutely done with the masks

You don’t even hear a rational argument for it anymore

These people that go absolutely mental at the question if they’re still necessary, all you hear is “what about the immunocompromised,  you’re being selfish!”

What did these people do prior to the pandemic?

How many of these mask enthusiasts wear a mask pre pandemic? Or did they go about like selfish b*****ds spreading viruses and germs, not thinking about anyone when they’re loaded with the cold.

I wonder when people started to give up the mask wearing after the Spanish flu.

From my understanding, it never never actually went away it just became less and less lethal over time.

If a mask if your comfort blanket, that’s fine. I don’t give a f**k, but don’t lecture me if I don’t wear one going about my everyday business 

Its not as if I’ll be rubbing myself up against you. 

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Someone mentioned this before but, as welcome as that would be for most of us, it won't help the poor staff who continued to be forced to wear one all day by their employer deciding that following the guidance is the only way to avoid negative PR / complaints from customers and staff who feel they no longer care.

Me and the missus went for lunch Saturday afternoon and not one member of staff was wearing a mask. Great to see and there certainly hasn't been any complaints that I've seen about it (it's a local place so we'd have heard in all likelihood)

2 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Me and the missus went for lunch Saturday afternoon and not one member of staff was wearing a mask. Great to see and there certainly hasn't been any complaints that I've seen about it (it's a local place so we'd have heard in all likelihood)

Before the League Cup final. The pub we were in, no masks in sight from the bar staff and everyone enjoying theirselves. 

6 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

A fair point, however I was thinking more of the big chains who would be an easy target for the type of person who would go to the papers about how it's shocking that their health is being put at risk by the person serving them their 20th sausage roll that week not wearing a mask.

13 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If Sturgeon's framework makes even a passing reference to the eventual removal of the masking mandate I will be pleasantly shocked.

I have to say, I can't see it ever happening. I think it's with us permanently.

She's invested way too much "moral" stock in it to let it go now IMO.

Also, why it needs another 2 weeks is frankly beyond me. They should already know where we are going. They've had 2 whole years FFS.

I probably share your pessimism. 

The language used is all about keeping basic protections to make sure a return to normality is ‘sustainable’ and they’ve repeatedly indicated they view face masks as a very minor/easy ask of people. 

My guess based on nothing is that the framework will offer a very vague suggestion of lifting that restriction if ‘the data allows’ and it’s dragged out until we find ourselves back in winter again before it’s even seriously considered. 

Does nobody in the SNP stop and think about what they are saying. It seems obvious to me they are going to end up having to row back when Scotland becomes an outlier. Northern Ireland talking about removing restrictions as soon as possible and it wouldn’t surprise me if even Wales does within the next few weeks given their numbers.

58 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

Does nobody in the SNP stop and think about what they are saying. It seems obvious to me they are going to end up having to row back when Scotland becomes an outlier. Northern Ireland talking about removing restrictions as soon as possible and it wouldn’t surprise me if even Wales does within the next few weeks given their numbers.

Surely if Wales and North Ireland drop face masks she will have to.  She's also not that daft to realise that as soon as those countries do, most Scots will bin theirs.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Surely if Wales and North Ireland drop face masks she will have to.  She's also not that daft to realise that as soon as those countries do, most Scots will bin theirs.

I think ultimately she’ll be swayed by public opinion. 

There’s enough active support/indifference from the population just now that she can keep up the caring/sensible act.

If the public genuinely turns on the issue (and I think wales/NI dropping it would do that) then she’ll have to backtrack. 

More proof these decisions have f**k all to do with the science but it’ll still be welcome. 

1 hour ago, KingswellsRed said:

Does nobody in the SNP stop and think about what they are saying. It seems obvious to me they are going to end up having to row back when Scotland becomes an outlier

Row back? They will just deny saying it 😂