Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 hours ago, Thorongil said:

“you’ve not been paying attention” needs filed alongside “get in the sea” as deplorable patter. 

And nobody suggested anything of the sort, so your post is somewhat odd.

You quite clearly did though, by claiming that 'thicko' employers would only lose workers by not offering WFH. 

Employers will allow WFH as a long-term solution only if it suits their interest in flogging office leases. And there will be little flexibility offered in that decision - permanent offices will not be kept open for you to waltz into. 

The same management calculations will sweep across the board, with the DWP already poised to crush anyone who chooses resignation and a fresh job search as an option. 

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

You quite clearly did though, by claiming that 'thicko' employers would only lose workers by not offering WFH. 

Employers will allow WFH as a long-term solution only if it suits their interest in flogging office leases. And there will be little flexibility offered in that decision - permanent offices will not be kept open for you to waltz into. 

The same management calculations will sweep across the board, with the DWP already poised to crush anyone who chooses resignation and a fresh job search as an option. 

Bizarre take. 

Just accept that some people understand some things better than you.

10 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

On this subject I am. 

And yet here you are, mewling without providing a single credible argument or evidence to support your fantasy island, nonsense take. 

Good luck being launched into a temp job by the social as part of your gormless seizure of power. 

2 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Horse has bolted with WFH in my opinion.  Cant see it going back to 5 days in the office unless they choose to.

FTFY. 

That's before we even consider the great outsourcing opportunities that multinational corporations now have, that could make the factory job exodus of the past 50 years look like a teddy bears' picnic by comparison. 

The conditions of the average worker will only get worse, not better, unless the political structure itself is changed. 

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

And yet here you are, mewling without providing a single credible argument or evidence to support your fantasy island, nonsense take. 

Good luck being launched into a temp job by the social as part of your gormless seizure of power. 

You are incredibly highly strung.

I am lucky in that I work for an employer who are happy to be flexible and allow people to do different things. I have colleagues who have been in the office every day and I have others who haven’t been back once.  I think in my work we will have offices which are a hub and teams will have days when people are encouraged to try to get in as well as coming in if there are projects or meetings that work better in person.

Back in the early days of the internet you would see people suggest that the days of cities were numbered due to online working but in fact the opposite has happened, for a wide variety of reasons. My work have a major new hub in a post-industrial city and have invested loads of money in their offices. The local authorities have also attracted large organisations on the tech sector to set up there, all the different companies attract each other and attract people. Lots of devs and coders go from one place to the other and there are plenty of options for people. I wonder what the working from home trend does to that sort of development, it’ll be interesting to see.

Another minter for the Scottish Government.

When you dismiss the sometimes perfectly viable "do nothing" option, that should be considered during EVERY assessment of risk, out of hand, the things you come up with are very often going to end up making you look a dick because often, they are a solution that doesnt have a problem.

Scotgov are in a corner of their own making where "do nothing" doesnt suit them politically, regardless of whether or not its the correct thing to do for the benefit of those they represent, and in the face of the prevailing "science".

As someone who works for a big corporation, and having recently moved from another, I can quite confidently say that WFH is here to stay. I’ll be in the office about once a month when things are fully back to normal. In the old place, they insisted on 60% of the time in the office, but quickly backed out of that as the staff said no. The cat is out of the bag, Mon-Fri 9-5 with a daily commute is dead. 

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It is a thing. I posted about it before on another thread regarding a close family member who uses a wheelchair and has young guys running up behind her and screaming in her ear to scare her. Cars speed up as she approaches a zebra crossing and they blast their horns as they pass her as well.

That's before we get to people parking in disabled bays to save themselves a 30 metre walk.

The thing is that it's almost always men. Usually young men. But predominantly men.

And just like harassing women and targetting kids, they never, ever do it when other people are around to stop them so when the victim tells people about the constant harassment they are met with gaslighting from people who think this sort of thing is a rare occurrence and that the victim is either exaggerating for Facebook hugs or must have done something  to provoke the harassment. That gaslighting represents a secondary attack on the victim.

I'm afraid that the painful truth is that there are a lot of incredibly nasty people out there who make life intolerable for large numbers of vulnerable people. Right under the noses of those who could, should and probably would step in to protect the victims but simply don't see the problem.

Genuinely cannot fathom why people behave that way but yes its absolutely the case. Ive said before about how my old man doesnt keep well and uses a mobility scooter/previously a wheelchair, the micro aggressions, abuse and shite he has had to take over the course of his illness (30 odd years) is fucking shite, but society for however progressive or whatever it pretends to be just now hasnt got any better. Attitudes towards disabled people are pretty sickening.

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The average worker isn't employed in manufacturing.

The average employee isn't even employed by a large company.

It's mainly SMEs these days.

Oh and I might be wrong but I think @Thorongileither runs his own business or is heavily involved in recruitment so I suspect he does have a handle on what he's talking about. That's not to say I necessarily agree or disagree but that's a different matter. What are your credentials for being so certain about where things are heading?

This is P&B - what are they?