Coronavirus (COVID-19)

52 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Despite Boris, Gove and others urging government departments to get back into the office, they are being roundly ignored. My sis in law works for HMRC and she has only been in the office about a dozen times since March 2020, and there is no sign of that changing anytime soon. She also used to travel for interdepartmental meetings, they've all now changed to Teams.

She would be delighted with hybrid working, she is fed up working alone at home.

We're currently at 20% hybrid working but anticipating some movement from the Tories so I think it's getting jacked up to about 40-50% of time spent in the office. The Mail has twice ran stories claiming are boys were left to die in Afghanistan due to civil servants wokeing from home.

57 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

First sign today of our blended working policy (1 day a week minimum) coming into effect soon.

I’ve been going in voluntarily once a week and would be there 4/5 days if I could, especially as our sprog is due in a few months and full time WFH then would be hellish.

Buzzing for the resultant strops when the ones who mewl about feeling unsafe in the office but who’ve been to every single team piss up have to drag their arses in.

^^^ works in No. 10

12 hours ago, Michael W said:

I had a look at 'zero covid' Twitter earlier and boy is it in a bad place. Lashing out at all and sundry and making laughable comparisons with HIV. Heads well and truly burst. 

Vaccinating kids seems like it will inevitably happen, but really I don't see it having a huge benefit. The vaccines, even with the boosters, are not really stopping people getting the virus now. It's not going to magically become different if you vaccinate children as well. 

They will reduce hospitalisations of children with covid, which is a good thing. But unlike the impression that we're being given by the fake sage and blue heart types, these hospitalisations are not exactly happening in huge numbers. It's a pretty small gain on terms of reducing daily hospitalisations.  

Vaccinating under 12's when there are African countries with such low numbers vaccinated is obscene. Generally kids have never been at risk from this and will still get it even when vaccinated. Another horrible over reaction.

Edited by jimbaxters

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Vaccinating under 12's when there are African countries with such low numbers vaccinated is obscene. Generally kids have never been at risk from this and will still get it even when vaccinated. Another horrible over reaction.

The same risk profile already applied to practically everyone below 40, who wasn't the size of a house. I'm not sure then why we should get off the vaccination train because its 'the weans' turn'. Not least given the ongoing mewling about high case rates, which are driven by the infection factories returning to form. 

The health industry is pumping out more vaccines that it can deliver. It is a false choice to claim that we can only do X or Y here while Afghanistan or the CAR catches up. We can do both. 

Edited by vikingTON

39 minutes ago, virginton said:

Still a massive, thumping L for France and their demented vaccine passports and restrictions I see. The Dutch lockdown proving to be a waste of everybody's time as well. You hate to see it happen. 

_123029076_jh_cases_rate_timeseries_selected_countries_27jan-nc.thumb.png.8961f0653f37ab140f6fae8de9ee5198.png

Was enjoying that article from Triggle as well (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-60161124).

He was really sticking the boot into the psycho brigade. Gurdasani in particular will be foaming at the mouth. jj.png

Is suppressing infections an option?

The latter point is one scientists are increasingly making. But it does beg the question why more is not being done to try to reduce infections - after all restrictions are being eased across the UK.

Prof Colbourn says short of a stringent lockdown it is going to be hard to stop the virus spreading now.

"Those calling for continued suppression are not thinking it through," he says. "Countries trying this have still seen cases go up - Omicron is just too infectious."

France, with its stringent vaccine requirements to enter bars and restaurants, and Spain, with its strict mask mandates - which apply outdoors and to pupils aged six and over in schools - have both seen cases rise higher than in the UK.

The Netherlands has as well - despite imposing some of the toughest restrictions in Europe by closing hospitality settings, including bars, restaurants and museums, from mid-December until this week.

And this combination of the virus becoming almost unstoppable but also less severe means even those who once advocated a Zero-Covid approach, such as Edinburgh University's Prof Devi Sridhar, accept it is time to change tactics.

It was reasonable to move away from restrictions, she said in a recent article in the Guardian newspaper, as they were at risk of becoming more disruptive than the now "defanged" virus itself.

Edited by Elixir

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

Was watching the latest Russell Brand video on Youtube last night and indeed why is there so little on the Canadian trucker's anti-government mandate convoy in the mainstream media. What is reported does seem to be very negative or inaccurate like the article in the Independent the only UK mainstream media outlet I saw that covered it.

Trudeau is trying to pass it off as a fringe minority, but from what I see looks a little bit bit more than that, plus money raised is in the millions. Truck drivers heroes were heroes not that long ago bring food and supplies to millions during the worst of the pandemic, now seen as villains?

Even if you don't like RB have a watch and ask why does stuff like this not get covered, are governments afraid of people becoming inspired and coming together to openly stand up against these governments that overstep the mark?

The mainstream press are unable to accurately document the issues lorry drivers are facing either side of the English channel, it would be a miracle if they reported on the goings-on in Canada.

If it's not in Washington the North American correspondents dont want to know.

has happened quicker than I might have imagined, but my work have started the process of getting everyone back in full time. They have not stated from when yet, though I suspect start of March…

We have been hybrid since June last year and I dare say some have got very used to it, but that’s it all over, and I’m sure plenty of others are away to find the same.

4 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

has happened quicker than I might have imagined, but my work have started the process of getting everyone back in full time. They have not stated from when yet, though I suspect start of March…

We have been hybrid since June last year and I dare say some have got very used to it, but that’s it all over, and I’m sure plenty of others are away to find the same.

they'll be times when the green eyed monster will come out too, those who can't work from home can start to resent those who can , accusing them of lying around and doing f**k all. others will be happy that the office wokers arent there

What do they think about Denmark and Ireland? It's amazing how tiny wee bits of theatre like we still have up here maintain the illusion of 'safety'. Still, down to 300 from the 1,200 who labelled July 19 an 'unethical experiment'.

Also this:

“The easing of plan B restrictions may give the impression that the pandemic is coming to an end,” she said. “But this won’t be over until we address the risk of new variants at the root – in populations that have not had access to vaccines.”

Vaccination does not stop the virus replicating. It prevents severe disease and death extremely well. This is quite simply a manipulation of the truth. Vaccinating the world will not prevent the virus from evolving, hence it won't prevent 'new variants'. Bad faith weaselry to try and make political attacks.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Listening to the Guardian podcast about China's current policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/audio/2022/jan/28/has-china-fallen-into-a-covid-zero-trap-podcast

Can't listen to it right now but am guessing they'll let it rip after the Olympics, or maybe after the National Congress in the Autumn. They could be wary of another nasty variant being allowed to emerge from China though, with a 5th of the world's population that's an awful lot of opportunity.

Edited by welshbairn

20 minutes ago, Elixir said:

You can't ditch masks! There are people in Chad and Mongolia and Magagascar that will never set foot in the UK and are unvaccinated! 

Edit: that is an utterly perverse piece of journalism. The UK (or at least in this context, England) is not the centre by which the world revolves around. Absolutely fine with vaccinating the world and indeed there is a vwry real speed problem here, but weren't the signatories of that letter all telling us to go and get boosted, even those of us in groups that were very low risk of being hospitalised? They can't have this one both ways. 

Edited by Michael W