Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I didn't hang about, but they seemed to be sawing branches and that - the guy said to me it was 'better than paying for it, eh?' 

Public woods.

I just thought it was a bit weird! 

Jake Gyllenhaal GIF

3 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Coronavirus deaths: Norway 201, Denmark 401, Finland 186, Sweden 2192.

Even with Sweden bumping the numbers up massively, the region seems to have coped better than just about anywhere else. Which isn't really a surprise, these place - along with others who have handled this well like New Zealand- seem to top every index of running a successful country. They have reputations for good public services and generally healthy lifestyles, which have to be a benefit in situations like this.

You can't look at the difference between Sweden and its neighbours and just assign their rate of deaths as what you get with herd immunity. If the UK had stayed on that path, it would have been (even more of) a disaster.

As much as those countries have done well and we've done very badly, it must be much easier if as a nation you're relatively isolated.

There's no equivalent of a Heathrow or Charles de Gaulle or Schiphol in Norway or New Zealand.

Half a million people pass through London's various airports every single day. It's easy to see how it could have been spreading all over the place before anyone had a clue what was going on. I think it was always likely to be a bad outcome for Britain, but electing a bunch of incompetent chancers has made it a disastrous one.

Obviously all of this makes Germany look even more impressive.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Aye the same folk who realise the importance of going out to vote seem to have thought this through whereas the generation who think reality TV is more important than elections haven’t.

What a surprise.

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Apologies for deleting the rest of your post, but I really want take issue with this point.  It’s one that crops up in the politics threads quite frequently.

It is a precis of an argument that “the Boomers are depriving young people of a future”.  It’s a nonsense and a divisive Tory argument, the object of which is to ensure young people blame older people rather than blaming the austerity policies of the government.

The fact is the State Pension in the U.K. is one of the poorest in Europe.  In France there is massive resistance to pension changes; changes, that if they were to take place, would still leave French pensioners far better off than their British counterparts in terms of when they can retire and the amount they can retire on.  Protection of a decent state pension is something we should be doing for EVERY generation to come.

We can easily meet the economic needs of the old AND the young.  Abandon austerity for a start, this virus has shown that it’s a dogma driven policy rather than an economic imperative.  Scrap Trident, make multi-nationals pay their fair share of taxes, stop running public services for private profit.  Let’s face it when it all goes tits up it’s the public purse that bails out private enterprise anyway.

Once the old and the young realise their interest are aligned rather than buying the lie that it’s us against them maybe the politicians won’t find manipulation quite so easy.

Away and drive your wife down to Aldi you melt.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Why?

You've just taken a snapshot of raw data as opposed to actually investigating  any of it further.

Is a 46 year old healthy male at more risk than a 44 year old male with a history of obesity ?

is a 47 year old female at more risk than a 43 year old male ?

Do smokers fare better or worse in the stats ?

Are there certain industries which would prove riskier than others for specific age groups ?

Would certain companies be able to survive if removing all their workers aged 45 or over ?

Would a blanket ban on working based on age be either workable, legal or possible ?? (of course it wouldn't).

Who would run Governments ?

Who would run the Civil Service ?

Who would run the Judiciary and Courts ?

No, I'm afraid that one's a non starter and that's even before we start discussing the issues of the spreading of the virus to those in the enforced lockdown.

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Apologies for deleting the rest of your post, but I really want take issue with this point.  It’s one that crops up in the politics threads quite frequently.

It is a precis of an argument that “the Boomers are depriving young people of a future”.  It’s a nonsense and a divisive Tory argument, the object of which is to ensure young people blame older people rather than blaming the austerity policies of the government.

The fact is the State Pension in the U.K. is one of the poorest in Europe.  In France there is massive resistance to pension changes; changes, that if they were to take place, would still leave French pensioners far better off than their British counterparts in terms of when they can retire and the amount they can retire on.  Protection of a decent state pension is something we should be doing for EVERY generation to come.

We can easily meet the economic needs of the old AND the young.  Abandon austerity for a start, this virus has shown that it’s a dogma driven policy rather than an economic imperative.  Scrap Trident, make multi-nationals pay their fair share of taxes, stop running public services for private profit.  Let’s face it when it all goes tits up it’s the public purse that bails out private enterprise anyway.

Once the old and the young realise their interest are aligned rather than buying the lie that it’s us against them maybe the politicians won’t find manipulation quite so easy.

I honestly can think of no possible reason that any sane person would have voted down your post, however looking at who voted it down has more or less answered that question.

Basically you've nailed it.

Just now, Snafu said:

The terms have been around for a lot longer than Facebook. The characteristics apply more to the various levels of wealth than it does age so its going to rub some people up the wrong way.

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifestyle/ok-boomer-diving-generation-what-does-it-mean-ncna1077261

https://theconversation.com/millennials-gen-x-gen-z-baby-boomers-how-generation-labels-cloud-issues-of-inequality-106892

Authors William Strauss and Neil Howe are widely credited with naming the millennials. They coined the term in 1987, around the time children born in 1982 were entering kindergarten, and the media were first identifying their prospective link to the impending new millennium as the high school graduating class of 2000.

I had heard the term "baby boomer" but maybe only once or twice in my life up until about five or six years ago.

It's only in the past few years that these terms have crept into every day language and being honest I have no idea what ages each one relates to. I prefer evaluating a person by what they're like as an individual as opposed to stereotyping on your supposed "typical"person that a graph or survey gives you as you generally find that there's no such thing as the "average" or "typical" person in real life.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

The 1992 election had very high turnout, nearly 80% if I recall correctly. The 97 vote was seen as kind of predictable after that and there was a big drop in turnout for the 2001 and 2005 elections as no-one thought Labour would lose. I think turnout was below 60% for both of those.

A U.K. General Election hasn’t had turnovers it higher than 70% since 1997. The only votes in the U.K. since then that have met that have been the referendums in Independence and the EU. ETA The referendum on the good Friday agreement in Northern Ireland as well.

A Scottish Parliament vote has never broken 60% turnout.

I would disagree that that was the only reason there was a big drop in turnout for Labour in 2001-2005 (and ever since bar 2017). The substantially better turnouts for the Brexit and indy referendums are probably related to the downward trends in voter turnout since the 90s and likely reflects the feeling that politics as it stands doesn't normally offer meaningful change for a lot of people.

47 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Being honest I have no idea what all these terms mean "boomer", "generation X",  "millennials" etc, etc.

It's more Facebook era American pish that nobody had ever heard about up until a couple of years ago and that has somehow crept into our mainstream media in this country as opposed to it being called out for the utter nonsense that it is.

Generation X was published in 1991.

35 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

You've just taken a snapshot of raw data as opposed to actually investigating  any of it further.

Is a 46 year old healthy male at more risk than a 44 year old male with a history of obesity ?

is a 47 year old female at more risk than a 43 year old male ?

Loving the idea that this is somehow a massive stumbling block compared to the already existing policy of treating 18 and 69 year olds as an equal category of public health risk - in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary - just to support a risible myth of collective solidarity.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

You can spend all day going around the forum correcting posters for their mistakes, it serves no purpose.

But knock yourself out.

It's something I hardly ever do.

You're right though - I should probably do more of it.  It's not kind to allow the unacceptable to appear perfectly fine.

49 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I didn't say or imply otherwise.

I tend not to bother about grammar or spelling, it's mostly used as a divertionary tactic on here for those with a weak position. 

Most folk chose to attack Jerry Cole without actually reading through his links. The fact that quite a chunk of it is looking more correct with every passing day doesn't appear to matter to most on here, more importance appears to be attached to his posting style or the fact that a moon howler wrote the piece he provided a link for. 

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've already done two of them.

I might look into the window sill thing.

If you're bored then the tank museum YouTube channel has an interesting wee documentary on helmets, including some nice German ones.