Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

What kind of potatoes are ready in April?

Kerr’s McCains and Maris McCains I believe.

53 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

The UK can stick their Captain Tom up their arses.

Don’t think there’s enough to go round tbf.

54 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

The UK can stick their Captain Tom up their arses.

Thailand man 72, does it better.

Taxi driver with no customers, went to a courier firm who were taking on temps.  Thai PBS (a TV channel) were there and interviewed him.  He showed the camera his wallet with ฿200, that was it, nothing else in the world.  It went viral on social media when a "superstar" highlighted. Guy went his bank and  ฿8.3 million is in his bank account from donations.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/social-and-lifestyle/1907580/taxi-drivers-wealth-irks-ta-gets-daddy-itch-sex-pics-row#cxrecs_s 

I don’t know what part of that makes you think the Thai man did it better and this really isn’t a positive news story either, just another example of poorly distributed wealth.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Despite having no interest in clapping for anyone outside my door like a performing seal at a prescribed time, when I was out for a run today, an ambulance passed me with the blues on. I gave them a wee clap, and the guy in the passenger seat gave me a thumbs up. It gave me an enormous sense of wellbeing.

Remind me - does lights and no siren mean the patient is dead or not?

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Remind me - does lights and no siren mean the patient is dead or not?

It means the ambulance is in a hurry but there is no traffic or obstructions hindering their path.  The siren is to instruct others to get out of the way.

Why have lights and speed if the patient is dead?

There used to be a hospital on Halbeath Road and the residents would often be outside waving at the passing traffic. Dunfermline feels a bit lifeless now without them. I can see how Bairnardo may have greatly increased the ambiance folks’ sense of well-being and that they’d have been happy for the rest of the day.

Edited by Shandon Par

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

There used to be a hospital on Halbeath Road and the residents would often be outside waving at the passing traffic. Dunfermline feels a bit lifeless now without them. I can see how Bairnardo may have greatly increased the ambiance folks’ sense of well-being and that they’d have been happy for the rest of the day.

There used to be a wee guy who would stand just behind the wall writing car number plates down presumably to grass them off later for speeding.

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Are you suggesting he shouldn't have clapped, but actually given them significant abuse for having failed to save the persons life?

Shout. 

Despite having no interest in clapping for anyone outside my door like a performing seal at a prescribed time, when I was out for a run today, an ambulance passed me with the blues on. I gave them a wee clap, and the guy in the passenger seat gave me a thumbs up. It gave me an enormous sense of wellbeing.
It's the easiest thing in the world to mock shit like this but it's an important human trait. Feeling connected to something bigger and more important, even in very small ways, is good for us.

Was the origins of the clapping thing from Italy? I hope it was started by ordinary people rather than an authority-led idea. But it doesn't matter, as people have taken it for themselves.

It should never be used to excuse or cover up the failings of preparation by those in charge. And it's perfectly reasonable, and I'd argue its actual normal, to both support the workers of the nhs and also be critical of mistakes made by the government.

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

Zero fucking chance I'm opening a link with that title.