Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The recent Sunday Times expose  referenced operation Cygnus.

Of the many failings of this and the last Tory governments, there unwillingness to take this serious and act on it is the biggest failing of them all.

As was said in the Sunday Times piece, in theory the number one threat to the U.K. was a global pandemic but in practice it was largely ignored.

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It will be interesting to see how opinions shift on banning things considered 'fun' once everyone is back working.

Indeed. A life of work and no play certainly isn't for me. Obviously could bear with it for a month or two, but its looking increasingly likely that it'll be a lot longer than that

3 minutes ago, Dele said:

Out of interest, why won't a vaccine be found/made until 'next year at the earliest'? 

Folk keep writing this. I've yet to see anythi g that actually backs this up. 

https://www.health24.com/Medical/Infectious-diseases/Coronavirus/why-will-it-take-so-long-for-a-covid-19-vaccine-20200407

1 minute ago, Dele said:

Out of interest, why won't a vaccine be found/made until 'next year at the earliest'? 

I suspect that they mean widely available rather than just available.  It can take months to produce and test a viable vaccine, before you even get close to mass production and distribution

8 minutes ago, Dele said:

It's the testing that takes time, it would be a bit embarrassing if it killed more people than it saved. And producing it in bulk. Some people are trying to speed up the process by starting production before they're sure their vaccine works or is safe, earliest hope is September but only in quantities for front line medical staff. They're also going faster by modifying previously tested formulae so bypassing some of the stages.

Edited by welshbairn

Guest Bob Mahelp
19 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'd like to see boris grilled on that clip of him from February boasting about how we could lead the world by not shutting down, like some sort of super hero.

The public sympathy will be short lived i reckon. Unless there's a quick uk turnaround, which doesn't look likely atm, he'll be in deep shit again soon enough.

Not a snowball's chance in hell that a senior government minister.....Johnson, Raab, Grove, Patel etc......will appear for questioning by the likes of Morgan or Neill.

Johnson set the precedent before the GE, and the Tories simply won't expose senior ministers to a forensic interview. 

They send out junior ministers that nobody has heard of as sacrificial lambs, and to give the perception that they're open to serious scrutiny. They're not, in any shape or form. 

20 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Indeed. A life of work and no play certainly isn't for me. Obviously could bear with it for a month or two, but its looking increasingly likely that it'll be a lot longer than that

Millions of people have already being doing it for 6-7 weeks. 

35 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I don't think i have the right to play some sort of god, and decide who we could do without.

I also think that generally stuff is never as simple, or black and white, as a lot of folk want it to be.

My faither is a card carrying communist. He is adamant that we should have a day every month where we should be encouraged to shoot lawyers for fun. He would very much agree with gd on the issue above.

But he's also a fierce campaigner for local community causes. He's always been involved in local projects that help those most vulnerable in society. In doing this, he had contact with the local mp John Scott (an old wealthy tory). Scott helped my dad's project quite a lot, and the two ended up being fairly friendly (and worked together on a couple of things).

Scott even nominated my dad for a community award of some sort, handed out by the Scottish Parliament. Although he was inclined to politely reject it, I'm glad to say he didn't in the end (him and one other awrdee got to snub the congratulations from the Queen and Prince Philip by sitting in the corner whilst everyone else stood in a line).

Life is complicated. Some good people do horrible things, and vice versa. I believe that some tories are actually good people (although it's unusual). S

So i tend to try to see the good in people, and generally don't dwell on wishing that folk weren't here.

Much respect to your faither

I believe that some tories are actually good people (although it's unusual).

Are these the same tories who stood up in parliament and clapped and cheered when they voted down any increase in wages for the NHS?

Are these the same tories who, through universal credit have caused the massive increase in foodbanks?

Are these the same tories (along with other unionist parties) who insist on keeping Trident in Scottish waters?

I can think of a few tories where the world would be a better place with them out of it.

This pic is several weeks old but is still relevant

tested.jpg

We have never produced a vaccine for a coronavirus before so it's not just going to suddenly appear. 

There is also the issue that even though testing is currently being undertaken, what if it doesn't work? I get that time is the enemy here but rushing the process* to tick some boxes will just set us back further. 

*it would however be fair to say that the process is already being somewhat rushed. 

Edited by Michael W

19 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Johnson set the precedent before the GE, and the Tories simply won't expose senior ministers to a forensic interview. 

Johnson doesn't do detail. He knows it himself, and more importantly so do the interviewers.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/01/boris-johnson-a-one-trick-pony-straight-out-of-the-political-wild-west

"When Marr pressed him on the details of the Brexit withdrawal agreement, Johnson became visibly rattled. Why did he expect him to have actually read the small print of the deal he had negotiated?"

16 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Not a snowball's chance in hell that a senior government minister.....Johnson, Raab, Grove, Patel etc......will appear for questioning by the likes of Morgan or Neill.

They send out junior ministers that nobody has heard of as sacrificial lambs, and to give the perception that they're open to serious scrutiny. They're not, in any shape or form. 

Wouldn't you think that, at the very least, they could do a bit of homework before agreeing to subject themselves to some meaningful scrutiny?

The "sacrificial lamb" who appeared this morning certainly didn't do her government any favours. Repeatedly telling Morgan she was under the impression she was going to be asked about domestic abuse didn't help her.

Piers Morgan is absolutely right to suggest the government has been caught with its pants down in dealing with this event - even before the first case of coronavirus had been diagnosed in the UK, when we were repeatedly assured we were very well prepared to deal with any kind of a pandemic reaching our shores. 

What an utter farce.

Really, really pissed off at the PR spin being put on this year's Workers Memorial Day. The manipulation of public opinion over the NHS has been monstrously cynical throughout*, but today is a day for us to remember ALL workers, in ALL industries, in ALL countries, who are injured or killed at work - often at least partly because of employers' actions or inaction. For the Tory spin mahine to hijack this event is beyond obscene.
So what should today be about? Helen O'Connor (GMB) puts it pretty well - "On Workers’ Memorial Day let’s honour the dead and wholeheartedly commit ourselves to fight like hell for the living."

* Especially as there are many, many other workers without whom society would have collapsed within days who have been partially or wholly ignored throughout.
ETA: Yes, it's already a day to remember those who have gone to work and not come home. It's been appropriated by these cúnts, not introduced by them.

A caller on 5-live through the night tried to point this out but was told by the host ‘that it was not the case. He had just checked online and workers day is the 1st May’
I have to admit that I had never heard of ‘workers Memorial Day’ myself but a quick google search soon found it.

40 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The only thing is, Johnson will have to face someone who  used to be one of the top lawyers in the country every week at the despatch box. 

Raab's lying bluster last Wednesday was a preview.

Catching up on a few things, firstly the fly past. Isn't the whole reason Tam Moore is raising funds for the government is that they have misspent cash and haven't the money they need to support the NHS, paying for the RAF to fly over him is just further waste of cash and tbh I'm amazed that during austerity the red arrows weren't disbanded. I guess they help the flag flying nationalism that the Tories love. 

I think the trade unions have been naive advocating the silence when instead they should have been battering the government with we are having this silence but this year more people will die at work because of your mistakes. Pay your respects rightly so but when people are dying needlessly it's hard to accept and let's have a silence and get back to normal.

Another union who I think are lagging way behind the trend are the PFA, as soon as Rangers asked for an EGM they should have been front of the queue getting clubs and the SFA to agree players could be given rolling monthly contracts. They of course have previous for failing their members but during this pandemic a huge chunk of their members will be seriously impacted.

58 minutes ago, Dele said:

I think they said it was a best case scenario. They might not find a vaccine. They don't have a cure for every illness and we have these problems for a long time.