Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Sports Direct managers accuse firm of making them work on furlough

Two managers said they had been told not to clock on when they worked in stores while on furlough – seemingly in breach of the rules of the scheme, under which the government covers 80% of staff pay. They said they had been asked to pack up store stock so it could be returned to the group’s warehouse and sold online.

“They are doing it secretly so people don’t know what they are doing,” one worker said.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/03/sports-direct-managers-accuse-firm-of-making-them-work-on-furlough

I don't think I will set foot in a Sports Direct store again.

It’s a criminal offence to have an employee provide any kind of service to the employer of furloughed. Mike Ashley could get jailed for fraud. 

Edited by Shandon Par

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not all of them.  I’m sure there are many people with a ‘religious faith’ who are nice, well intentioned people.

Thick as fùck, totally illogical, but nice.

Of course there are many, many more who use that faith for repression, including those who are themselves repressed by their beliefs.

In general terms, would we be better off in a world where religious fucknuggets didn’t exist?  Definitely.

That's a bit silly really isn't it?

I'm not remotely religious myself and I'd describe myself as a wishy washy atheist.

I recognise however that a great deal of good is done in the name of religion.  It's easy to highlight conflict around it, but not accurate to imply it's the whole picture, or even the main one.

To call all believers "thick as f**k" is infantile.

24 minutes ago, superbigal said:
26 minutes ago, jakedee said:
My son, who's furloughed, recieved a letter from his employer, with the furlough conditions. One of which stated he was not to seek employment elsewhere

That's an employers prerogative. Not govt policy.

He can seek employment anytime he wants. He can do it whilst at work. 

If he were to take up employment elsewhere he would not receive furlough payment from his current employer. 

Unless the majority of businesses are going to be allowed to re-open at the start of June and a lot of those currently working from home made to go back to the office. I don't see the point in schools re-opening up here tbh.

They would be opening back up for about 3½ weeks before breaking up for summer.

Yeah and let's not forget it's not like your kid is off and he's missing stuff and will need to catch up. Also, no teacher in the world is going to assume that what (s) he's done with their parents will mean that doesn't need to be covered now. They'll be going over everything again properly when they're back at school. They're basically sending out busy work to keep the thread of school going. 
There'll be no time to go over stuff.

Schools don't work like that. If stuff is missed, then it's missed.

You're either at the required level or you get extra support (hopefully).

10 minutes ago, Dele said:

He can seek employment anytime he wants. He can do it whilst at work. 

If he were to take up employment elsewhere he would not receive furlough payment from his current employer. 

Only because his current employer has made that a rule, others don't.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

There'll be no time to go over stuff.

Schools don't work like that. If stuff is missed, then it's missed.

You're either at the required level or you get extra support (hopefully).

My kids primary teacher isn't going to believe that because I've done adding over two columns with him he's now proficient in it. Also, there's no guarantee that every parent will have been able to do the work with the child. 

Sure, secondary school is different (should have made it clear I was talking early primary) but if I was still a teacher, unless I had guaranteed access to the kids and them to me I wouldn't be sending out any new stuff for them to do - well, new concept stuff. It would be quite easy to do a poem or a short story with a senior class, but I couldn't expect parents to understand / have the time to do the support work with them required to make a.new.concept stick. 

Edited by madwullie

Unless the majority of businesses are going to be allowed to re-open at the start of June and a lot of those currently working from home made to go back to the office. I don't see the point in schools re-opening up here tbh.

That’s been my thinking, there’s absolutely no point in schools returning up here until the new term.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Only because his current employer has made that a rule, other's don't.

I'm not sure that's the case. That's certainly not how it was explained to my mate, when he was in limbo between two jobs. 

Have you got a link to this? 

ETA : this was from a government employee on the phone that said the payment would stop, not either of the workplaces. 

Edited by Dele

2 minutes ago, Dele said:

I'm not sure that's the case. That's certainly not how it was explained to my mate, when he was in limbo between two jobs. 

Have you got a link to this? 

If you want to get another job while you're furloughed
You can work somewhere else if your contract with your current employer lets you. Getting a new job won’t affect your furlough pay. 

If you get a new job, you should make sure:

you can go back to work for the employer who furloughed you when they decide to bring you back

your new employer gives you the starter checklist form - you’ll need to complete Statement C

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/work/coronavirus-if-your-employer-has-told-you-not-to-work/

I'm pretty certain it won't happen. A huge amount of organisation went into the hubs, and certainly in my authority they're working reasonably well.

The unions are also very much opposed to going back before the summer, and I'm not sure that's a fight worth picking for 3 or 4 weeks.

I can see them trying to keep the hubs open all summer though, and that would be a massive change. Again that world be a fight with unions, but at least then they gain something tangible.

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's a bit silly really isn't it?

I'm not remotely religious myself and I'd describe myself as a wishy washy atheist.

I recognise however that a great deal of good is done in the name of religion.  It's easy to highlight conflict around it, but not accurate to imply it's the whole picture, or even the main one.

To call all believers "thick as f**k" is infantile.

No it’s not.  Believing in something where there’s absolutely no proof of it is infantile; it’s also as thick as fùck.

There was a point in human history where belief in a supernatural creator was understandable.  That was a long time ago.

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I can understand why the media aren't pumping out the message that for most people under 40 their chances of dying from Covid19 are minuscule. In a world where meaningless phrases like Take Back Control win hearts and minds, and if you believe the public health policy is essential, a bit of skewing the info is inevitable. I don't think the death toll at the Somme was published till around 1922. 

This isn't actually a war and so the media is not obliged to be the propaganda wing of the state. They should be presenting the impact of the virus in its appropriate context then; instead of obliging right-minded adults to sift out utter nonsense to get credible news.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

No it’s not.  Believing in something where there’s absolutely no proof of it is infantile; it’s also as thick as fùck.

There was a point in human history where belief in a supernatural creator was understandable.  That was a long time ago.

There's no absolute proof for anything, it's just a balance of probabilities. It's just that religious people are nearly as bad at gauging it as I am at gambling.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It's still understandable.

There are many believers who are clearly not thick.  You're behaving like one of the shoutier wee lads on here.