Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

She's not a professional carer. She has vulnerable parents who have been in isolation since March, and I have periods where I literally can't get out of bed, can't care for myself, so in a worst case scenario she is my one and only means of feeding myself, paying bills etc. She's my girlfriend, and since the advent of Covid, is also my assigned carer.

I just realised what your username means and smiled while reading this, so apologies if it looked like you didn't have my sympathies, which you do.

(not that sympathies are any more useful than thoughts and prayers)

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I just realised what your username means and smiled while reading this, so apologies if it looked like you didn't have my sympathies, which you do.

No bother.

I don't know why I brought the Supermarket trip up really. Wasn't trying to make any point other than we both found it amusing that we were told we had to walk around the supermarket 2m apart.

Is the correct answer.

The only issue i can see is that a lot of folk have put hours and hours into creating plans for their schools and councils.

When this happens, there's often strong resistance to just binning it (understandable). The Scottish govt will need to be clear and firm - and that might lead to a fall out with the unions.

Hopefully not, though.

No problem if it does get binned but I think it's right that they have planned for the worst case scenario.

You tried this a few hundred or so pages back and IIRC were pearl-clutchingly appalled when I, and others, said that if you want teachers to work more hours, you'd need to pay them. Along with yon permaseething Oaksoft the concept of people getting paid for their work seemed to particularly rankle.

Good to see you're still peddling the same old schtick.

You can add Virginlips to that list too - knock back from a teacher in the past?  

I don't think Bendan was one of those though.

Sure I saw through bleary eyes this morning that the chancellor had said very end of July at earliest before review of 2m rule. Which would work for changing here for schools back. 
Also, someone mentioned that kids don't spread the virus as much as adults. Has this been confirmed as I only thought it was a theory and there were studies ongoing. 
SAGE evidence was inconclusive - there was insufficient evidence either way.

This has been going on for as long as I've been a teacher. I've had pupils sitting in front of me with chicken pox, slapped cheek, the 'flu, you name it.
"Oh we knew he wasn't well, but we thought it might clear up" - meanwhile the next few days see infections and absences amongst pupils and staff rise dramatically.
There are also those who are off every other week with whatever minor ailment they can't get their arses out of bed with.

Morrisons have patched the one way system and let it be a free for all again.
I realised I quite like the one way system.
The one way system in our local Asda is a waste of time - you can guarantee there will be at least one couple waddling their fat carcasses in the opposite direction from everyone else, blissfully unaware as they barge past you.

19 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:
Morrisons have patched the one way system and let it be a free for all again.
I realised I quite like the one way system.

The one way system in our local Asda is a waste of time - you can guarantee there will be at least one couple waddling their fat carcasses in the opposite direction from everyone else, blissfully unaware as they barge past you.

Yep, everyone's given up now. If you hang about waiting for them to move their selfish arses, you get the eye roll reserved for pedants, as though you just corrected somebody's grammar on a Scottish football forum.

Quite liked the one way system, purely because it seemed to stop fuckwits blocking the entire aisle with their trolleys while they had a natter to Karen from the gym, and because there were always one or two folk who, when confronted with arrows on the floor, had an expression on their face like they were being asked to translate Aramaic to Sanskrit by way of Urdu.

He cant see you m9.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
54 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

He cant see you m9.

Must be all that salad Dave’s been eating.

Better safe than sorry. And I'm mainly eating fatty meats right now. Lost four stone this year, although sadly I put two-and-a-half of them back on during lockdown.

Fucking Haribo jelly babies.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I see Turkey is joining China in a fairly steep rise in new infections. I sincerely hope the talk of no 2nd waves hasn't been premature.

The kids on here who are experts on these sort of things say binning the safety protocals and drinking a warm pint in a shitty beer garden needs to happen, these countries obviously don't have the good old british common sense.

I went to a garden centre today. Every shopper had to take one of the great big trolleys they have as this guaranteed 2 metre spacing. I felt a tube wheeling this thing about as I only wanted some garden canes.

I would have felt an even bigger tube if all I'd wanted was a packet of seeds.

All the talk about supermarkets/shops earlier made me realise how much of a power trip some of the staff have been on. You can just tell they love having the “authority” to either speak to you like you’re a piece or shit, or that you’re 5 years old. Another thing I won’t miss about “lockdown life”

All the talk about supermarkets/shops earlier made me realise how much of a power trip some of the staff have been on. You can just tell they love having the “authority” to either speak to you like you’re a piece or shit, or that you’re 5 years old. Another thing I won’t miss about “lockdown life”

Have to say the staff in the supermarket I go to have been almost without exception pleasant and helpful throughout this. This was the case even at the start of the lockdown which must have been a pretty stressful time for them given the uncertainties around the virus and the behaviour of some shoppers.

38 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Have to say the staff in the supermarket I go to have been almost without exception pleasant and helpful throughout this. This was the case even at the start of the lockdown which must have been a pretty stressful time for them given the uncertainties around the virus and the behaviour of some shoppers.

Maybe it’s just some of the Ayrshire ones enjoying a power trip then! Ayr and Girvan especially. 

My local Lidl is a hoot. 

It's always been staffed almost exclusively by surly eastern europeans who look like some of the most miserable in their job people that I've ever seen. They glare at you just for saying 'thanks', think nothing of barging into you with a floor polishing machine, throw the items at you if you use the staffed check-out, that sort of thing.

First week of lockdown, a load of Scottish staff appeared out of nowhere, the signage and instructions went up, orderly queue at the door, ushered in as one other customer left, everything that all the other supermarkets were doing. 

Second week of lockdown, the Scottish staff vanished, as did any pretence of following Covid restrictions or trying to control the flow of customers in and around the store. The signage is still there, but the staff make no attempt whatsoever to encourage the customers to acknowledge it, and it's basically a free-for-all of people of all sizes, shapes, and colours bodily wrestling with each other to get at the last danish pastry etc.

Anybody who says Scotland is being tardy in getting back to normal clearly has never set foot in this Lidl.