Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

He's also from Lochee so presumably "wan o them" at heart. 

He's 'wan o' something', that's for sure. 

Either he's really, really old now, or just looked really old back in his days at Grampian when he was doing football commentary on Highland League cup finals. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Shutting the pubs and restaurants is over kill. Where is the evidence that the virus is being transmitted in high numbers in these settings? 

Agreed. There was not a large increase in Covid cases when pubs and restaurants reopened in July.

God knows what has caused the huge surge in infections in the last month. Hopefully they get to the bottom of it soon! 

New records today. Highest daily case numbers since the pandemic began and 9.5% of those tested returning a positive result.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

A good thread from Anwar about student halls.
He says they can cancel their rental contracts. You would think they would be mad not to.
Definitely they should.

However, on a slight tangent the rents these places charge for a shitey room is criminal. I'm always quite surprised at the take up from students, unless it's so they've more chance of being able to wander the halls on the prowl for a shag. f**k knows, the world is odd sometimes.

20 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

There’s an effective civil service in place for these ministers to get all the information that they need to make the correct decision and given they’re an expert in politics, philosophy and economics I would trust them to make the right choice.

I ewouldn't trust any of the current cabinet to wipe their own arse effectively.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

He's 'wan o' something', that's for sure. 

Either he's really, really old now, or just looked really old back in his days at Grampian when he was doing football commentary on Highland League cup finals. 

Had  a look at his Wiki page and reminded me of Top Club.  Look who made an appearance on that.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Michael W said:
Shutting the pubs and restaurants is over kill. Where is the evidence that the virus is being transmitted in high numbers in these settings? 
Shit though it is, the ban on household mixing indoors is at least backed up by data. 

Where are you getting that they are shutting. The Sunak announcement yesterday almost certainly stopped and sector of business currently operating from being closed.

It was in relation to a comment further up about Sturgeon doing so if furlough was extended, wasn't a suggestion that this was going to happen. 

Could be the virus is getting more infectious but less dangerous. It will be interesting to see how much the hospitals fill up in the next few weeks. If they don't it will be hard to see the point of anything more than basic precautions like hand washing etc.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/09/23/houston-coronavirus-mutations/?arc404=true

15 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Agreed. There was not a large increase in Covid cases when pubs and restaurants reopened in July.

God knows what has caused the huge surge in infections in the last month. Hopefully they get to the bottom of it soon! 

New records today. Highest daily case numbers since the pandemic began and 9.5% of those tested returning a positive result.

Probably libraries opening has caused the surge tbh, can't think of anything else.

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Had  a look at his Wiki page and reminded me of Top Club.  Look who made an appearance on that.

Fucking hell. Grampian back in the day was something else. Kennedy Thompson introducing programmes from beside a roaring fire, edits of films like RoboCop that were cut so badly they barely filled an hour, an obsession with bowls, yet they'd happily send a camera van out to film Lossie v Fort William. Then STV took over and fucked it. 

Gilfeather recent columns for the Evening Express saw him bitching about changes at Question of Sport, folk not listening to him while he worked at Grampian, and something about cyclists. Absolutely an old man shouting at clouds these days, yet still pops up on Stelling and Friends to talk us through a Ross County home game. 

15 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Not really. It's pretty obviously aimed at those living in halls of residence and those who have been on campus mingling with others.

The halls of residence thing should go without saying as if they're living in shared accommodation then they Shirley can't hold extended household status with their family anyway.   As such, anyone living in shared accommodation in Scotland (student or not) with no intention of moving long term (ie not just a weekend or week) should currently be banned from visiting any other household. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Fucking hell. Grampian back in the day was something else. Kennedy Thompson introducing programmes from beside a roaring fire, edits of films like RoboCop that were cut so badly they barely filled an hour, an obsession with bowls, yet they'd happily send a camera van out to film Lossie v Fort William. Then STV took over and fucked it. 

A much simpler time.

45 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Shite teachers at school, eh, eh?

Nah, I had great teachers. I left at the end of fifth year so didn't do AH.

I was 24 when I went to Uni so a lot smarter and more responsible when I was when I was 17.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Almost without question an improvement on what STV shovel out these days, too. 

David "Ginger Peachy" Bennett was OFTW as was Thompson. I mind seeing Thompson strutting down Elgin high street in a pair of bootcut jeans in the mid 80s.

42 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Unless a pretty paltry number of tests is being carried out in relation to capacity, surely that can't be right? 

I've always been a bit confused by the "newly tested people" stat. Does this exclude those that for example are subject to regular testing due to their employment? 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Nah, I had great teachers. I left at the end of fifth year so didn't do AH.

I was 24 when I went to Uni so a lot smarter and more responsible when I was when I was 17.

I was 26 when I went, a lot smarter and more irresponsible. I was hanging on till I got the full maintenance grant without being dependent on my parents earnings, as I knew they wouldn't pay their contribution. Normally generous, they had a blind spot about that. I was a bit ivory tower enthusiastic when I arrived, found out that nobody else I met read books for pleasure and that you could blag your way through first year doing next to nothing. Second year I spent most of the year working away and attended the bare minimum. Had loads to catch up on in the third and last year (English University) so I got down to it, got good marks for my course work, firsts and 2-1s but was shite in the exams and scraped a 2-2.

Edited by welshbairn

David "Ginger Peachy" Bennett was OFTW as was Thompson. I mind seeing Thompson strutting down Elgin high street in a pair of bootcut jeans in the mid 80s.

Bennet was class, with his twirling bow tie and crap jokes

Agreed he came across as OFTW though, seemed the sort who could have had prisoners in his basement