Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

This is going to wreck the SNP vote in uni constituencies unless they send these kids home and delay uni starting till after winter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1309527177361321986

That completely aligns with my own reading of the Glasgow picture as a parent.

Mine is doing fine so far, but it's early days.  Nothing about the university's response has been impressive.  

2 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Those 3rd pint glasses are quite common at beer festivals as wee samplers . Folk don’t actually sit and drink them in a pub tho do they?

As I recall it was a half pint tumbler and the barmaid/man would take a rough guess at what a third of a pint looked like. Dont remember anyone under 70 asking for one.

The poor wee souls were usually given a half pint anyway. I mean, whose gonny check? 

In one pub in Dennistoun I frequently visited, you were invited to pour your own if the barmaid was busy on a social call. In between fending off offers of meat "straight frae the abattoir" and dodgy CDs from ...ahem...salesmen....it was a free for all.

5 hours ago, renton said:

Was there a couple of times playing in their Uni's daft summer football tournament. Seemed a nice enough campus. Town was fairly non descript to me. 

Only been there and Amsterdam in the Netherlands, but the two things that stuck with me on all those trips is that 1. Their beer is shit and 2. They really can't cook to save themselves.

The food is shite but eating bread, ham and cheese seems to have made them all giants. 

When you think about it their only cultural contribution in the last 40 years is trance DJs and Ace of Base. Sad state of affairs but generally sound people. 

The food is shite but eating bread, ham and cheese seems to have made them all giants. 
When you think about it their only cultural contribution in the last 40 years is trance DJs and Ace of Base. Sad state of affairs but generally sound people. 
Decent fitba as well in fairness.

15 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
30 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Decent fitba as well in fairness.

Watched a tier 3 game last I was over and it was shite, bottom half of the Highland League standard.

Watched a tier 3 game last I was over and it was shite, bottom half of the Highland League standard.
In fairness, national team and 'the big 3 a side', my knowledge of Dutch football is limited at best. Unless you count the halcyon days when Jimmy Calderwood peppered his Dunfermline side with a few Dutchman.

7 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

In fairness, national team and 'the big 3 a side', my knowledge of Dutch football is limited at best. Unless you count the halcyon days when Jimmy Calderwood peppered his Dunfermline side with a few Dutchman.

Heard a few years ago that the reason the Dutch were so much better than Scots was that on a Saturday afternoon far more Dutch were playing it than watching it, the reverse of Scotland. I think that's probably changed, they've caught up with us.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

I seem to recall their women's hockey team being a cultural highlight of the last Olympics to me...

4 hours ago, Detournement said:

The food is nothing to do with it.  Historically the dams were not so good, there was lots of flooding and all the short ones drowned!

7 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

That makes for grim reading. What a shambles.

They just need to remember that some University of Lifers had it worse during the miners' strike though. At least they have the Playstation.

Do you like the PlayStation??

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure about the source here, but Belgium's approach seems pragmatic. They were far more transparent from the start so had higher infection and death figures but were later shown to have handled it better than most.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/132481/belgiums-security-council-introduces-long-term-coronavirus-strategy/

I don't think it can be said that Belgium's approach has shown to be particularly good in the long run (so far). This is the deaths per million since the start, with some neighbouring comparisons. They're about 2.5 times worse than the Netherlands.

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 05.52.14.png

10 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

It's almost as if closing pubs at 10 was always going to lead to this situation, and the people who adopted this policy have no understanding of human behaviour and/or have never been in a pub by 10 on Friday or Saturday.

Genuine question, and I'm not necessarily saying it's an issue in this case, but where does the line fall between the government not understanding human behaviour and the public acting like fannies regardless?

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I don't think it can be said that Belgium's approach has shown to be particularly good in the long run (so far). This is the deaths per million since the start, with some neighbouring comparisons. They're about 2.5 times worse than the Netherlands.

This was how it was explained early on..

However, Belgium may have been over-reporting the actual number of cases.[11] Unlike many other countries, which publish figures based primarily on confirmed hospital deaths, the death figures reported by the Belgian authorities include deaths in the community, especially in care homes, confirmed to have been caused by the coronavirus, as well as a much larger number of such deaths suspected to have been caused by the virus, even if the person was not tested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Belgium