Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Slightly concerned that vaccine doesn’t stop you from getting covid or stop you from transmitting it.
The restrictions will need to be in place for a while.
If it stops serious illness and hospitals being overwhelmed etc. then there's absolutely no need for restrictions to be in place any longer than they have to.

Oxford/AstraZeneca Phase III trial data has just been fully published in the Lancet - first of any vaccine to publish data publicly, IIRC.

I get the impulse behind this and (to a much lesser extent) having Hancock, BoJo, Obama, Bush and Clinton talk about having the vaccine taken live but virtually nobody who’s a sceptic about this is going to be convinced by either of these moves.

Slightly concerned that vaccine doesn’t stop you from getting covid or stop you from transmitting it.

Don’t think that’s confirmed yet.

If the Oxford vaccine (once approved) especially can stop transmission, then there’s surely an argument for vaccinating the lower risk with the more widely available Oxford one, while at the same time battering through the higher risk groups with the 95% effective Pfizer one.

If instead of getting seriously ill you only get a week or so of unpleasantnes then restrictions must get binned as soon as possible, you cannot justify this pish for sore throat and sniffles

23 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

No Highers this year. Cue complete lack of interest from loads of kids for the rest of the year. 

I am amazed that Swinney has changed his mind. He is as incompetent as Hancock and the like.

Given that it took until last Friday to have the N5 resources released, I am not holding out much hope that he and the SQA will have any plan of how this is supposed to unfold.

I get the impulse behind this and (to a much lesser extent) having Hancock, BoJo, Obama, Bush and Clinton talk about having the vaccine taken live but virtually nobody who’s a sceptic about this is going to be convinced by either of these moves.

Exactly, if you believe that the vaccine is a conspiracy and the government is lieing, then you also believe that what the politician is getting injected with on tv is not the vaccine which the public will get.
Conspiracy belief makes anything possible, if they can lie about something you can lie about everything

14 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Agreed - ultimately you’ll end up with people who are just sceptical because this is entirely unprecedented. I’m glad I’m not the guy who has to deliver the vaccine safety campaign.

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Exactly, if you believe that the vaccine is a conspiracy and the government is lieing, then you also believe that what the politician is getting injected with on tv is not the vaccine which the public will get.
Conspiracy belief makes anything possible, if they can lie about something you can lie about everything

Remember, everything government, main stream media etc does need severe scrutiny.   Some random blog or YouTube jobber is where you get the real truth and needs to be believed in its entirety.

29 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It's going to be impossible to get people who are already sceptical to take it if that's the case.

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Edinburgh still being in Tier 3 is now a farce. 

Hopefully one of the other parties will ask her reason for this. 

Aye, f**k 'em. I'm going to walk over the Pentlands to Carlops (just in the Borders) and have a pint in the Allan Ramsay just to teach them!

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's going to be impossible to get people who are already sceptical to take it if that's the case.

I fully agree. If not everyone takes the vaccine then the virus will always been around.

We do need to move on though. Once the high risk people have been vaccinated then we should lift the restrictions.

1 minute ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I fully agree. If not everyone takes the vaccine then the virus will always been around.

We do need to move on though. Once the high risk people have been vaccinated then we should lift the restrictions.

And if only the moon howling anti vaxxers don’t take it then f**k them. Nice wee idiot cull. 

3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I fully agree. If not everyone takes the vaccine then the virus will always been around....

Herd immunity can be achieved with significantly lower than 100% and most of the population has very little to worry about from COVID-19 anyway. Main advantage of having the vaccines is how it silences the drama queens that will latch onto whatever the latest doomsday scenario is that is being peddled once and for all in this particular instance.

23 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Moving everyone to tier 3 who (who was in tier4) seems like a move to just ease the Christmas free for all that's due before the deaths hit in Jan/Feb.

Schools closed and many/most people away from their work closes the main issues that have been driving transmission in recent weeks. All these levels and all the nanny state regulations that go with it are largely just theatre to make it appear the politicians are in control and care about the welfare of the plebs.