Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

How do you shut the border between Scotland and England ?

I'll give you an example. My son lives in London. He recently, through no fault of his own, lost his job and his rented accomodation.

He's booked on a train to come back up to Scotland on Monday and spend Christmas with us. 

Are we going to cancel that because the government out of nowhere give 7 hours notice of not being able to travel, and make him stay in London where he has absolutely no place to live ?

Are we f*ck. He'll come up on the 12.00 on Monday from Kings Cross and the 'restrictions' can get tae f**k. He'll wear a mask the whole way, stay away from everybody, and be collected by car from the station when he arrives.

This isn't wartime. They can't destroy lives to protect a tiny amount of people who may/may not be harmed by this virus. 

At the risk of ridicule, that sounds like essential travel...

Having not been au fait with Tier 4 to date, I'm a little confused about the travel restrictions across council borders. Trying to look it up, all I can find just now is "travel in and out of Tier 4 is prohibited", but if the entire mainland is Tier 4 then that would be free reign across the entire place. As such, I presume there's an inter-council ban?

However... my main question relates to my normal bubble which comprises me, my other half and her (live alone) mum, the latter of which lives in a different council area from us. I'm presuming that we're still cool to travel between houses in a manner that would normally be banned for the majority and that this would be allowed on Boxing Day and after Christmas?

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

Having not been au fait with Tier 4 to date, I'm a little confused about the travel restrictions across council borders. Trying to look it up, all I can find just now is "travel in and out of Tier 4 is prohibited", but if the entire mainland is Tier 4 then that would be free reign across the entire place. As such, I presume there's an inter-council ban?

However... my main question relates to my normal bubble which comprises me, my other half and her (live alone) mum, the latter of which lives in a different council area from us. I'm presuming that we're still cool to travel between houses in a manner that would normally be banned for the majority and that this would be allowed on Boxing Day and after Christmas?

I believe you are yes. Travel across local authorities between different parts of an extended household is allowed.

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

My missus lives in a different council area from me and we live in a bubble together - The advice previously was that we were exempt and I'd imagine it still will be.

1 minute ago, smpar said:

What’s ‘essential travel’ between Scotland and the rest of the UK?

People who live in Border towns who work in key industries on the other side?

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Having not been au fait with Tier 4 to date, I'm a little confused about the travel restrictions across council borders. 

It means you can only shag sheep in Angus for the time being.  You might get more exotic breeds once an effective vaccine's rolled out.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Will there be taxis on the go on Christmas day? I'm getting rat arsed but will obviously need to be away before Boxing day.

Just drive M8. Roads will be dead anyway and all the polis are manning a roadblock on the M74. You’ll be fine. 

3 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Might be in the minority here but i reckon this new strain chat is a pile of shite. Every single uk government has made a total arse of this fiasco.

Yeah I’m sure all the scientists are wrong and you’re right.

51 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The majority of people on this daft forum were saying this Christmas bubble crap was insane weeks ago. How has it taken them until now to realise this? 

giphy.gif.2e9427ec8ae3167ad96023c1aa332819.gif

32 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jason Leitch was having a laugh on Off the Ball today and gave no indication that the rules would change (not that I'd expect him to do so) but to carry on giving advice about the now dated set-up suggests he's nowhere near being in the loop.

He probably got dragged out his bed like the scene with the conductor in The Death of Stalin

7 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Might be in the minority here but i reckon this new strain chat is a pile of shite. Every single uk government has made a total arse of this fiasco.

Someome on twitter earlier pointed out that if it was 50 times as contagious as some have said it would place the r0 at around 60, which is clearly bollocks.

50 percent more is plausible, but given the timing with the vaccines and furlough extension it looks like an excuse to implement restrictions whilst they roll them out.