Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I don’t. And I’m also noting Mr Army saying “in England” far too many times than I’d like to hear. 😐

Caught this too. Is it because their remit had originally been UK wide but SG decided they wanted to run our own geography?  Or the Army are indeed doing whole UK but the brigadier is just a little Englander? 

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

A point that was made by Leitch on of the ball in December is that people seem to forget to get back to "normal" you need to vaccinate the whole world, while we may hit our target of the over 50's by May (And only as we are giving them half the recommended dose) we then are all so connected that until everywhere else catches up we will all just have to wait. Scotland could be in a form of normal in the summer but many places won't be.

Will you be able to see friends in 2021 , yes , possibly not in their house to start with and then in very small numbers , house parties in 2021, possibly not.

We may be asked not to see family and friends again next Christmas, if we do possibly in the bubbles again , there might not be Christmas parties etc but it surely won't be a grim as Christmas 2020.

You may be able to travel abroad, but possibly only to nations who have vaccinated a similar number of the population as we have and you may have to do a period of quarantine on your return . 

Football wise I would hope some fans can go to games next season but id be very surprised to see any away fans at a game until Spring 2022. 

Small steps on the road to recovery

Get every single part of this Sridhar-level, zero-Covid nonsense to f**k. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Rumours that the lockdown will be tightened in Scotland. Construction et al halted, and professional sport stopped.

Generally when the government starts 'considering' new actions, they happen about a week later. This weekend could be the last fitba for a while. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Rumours that the lockdown will be tightened in Scotland. Construction et al halted, and professional sport stopped.

Generally when the government starts 'considering' new actions, they happen about a week later. This weekend could be the last fitba for a while. 

Where did you hear these rumours?

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Cmon mate, at least he tells the lies people want to hear? 

Listen, no one hates tories more than I do. But my point is, he has gauged the way public opinion is going. Nicola Sturgeon still seems to think "we will do our best" is good enough for the people of Scotland. 

Not exactly rumours, was answers to direct questions at the briefing but she also explicitly said she wants to avoid having to do anything like that. The question was put to her as 'why haven't you done this already?' and the answer was because it isn't proportionate at this time.

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Well, cases seem to have plateaued in the last few days. Hospitalisations will likely still rise with the lag, but at least ICU capacity isn't near the 1st wave peak yet.

5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

What I don't get is that they have always said that any changes take about 2 weeks to show any results.  However we went into lockdown on boxing Day then a week and a bit later it was strengthened and now 4 days later they are looking to tighten even more so this would be 3 increases in the severity of the lockdown before one of there review periods and we still don't know if the first measures have had an effect

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Listen, no one hates tories more than I do. But my point is, he has gauged the way public opinion is going. Nicola Sturgeon still seems to think "we will do our best" is good enough for the people of Scotland. 

So far we are, I think, the best in the UK in terms of vaccinations when adjusted for population.

Assuming Sturgeon isn't sitting on a massive pile of vaccines, Smaug style, what else should the government be doing?

15 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Both construction and professional sport (with the possible exception of the top flight) should have been panned in the first place. It's absolutely fucking ridiculous that the general population is expected to sit in their houses indefinitely like tortoises in a box while a seventh tier permadiddies travel across their region for a kickabout. The SFA shouldn't even need government intervention to act: they should have shut down regardless.

Edited by vikingTON

7 minutes ago, The Stig said:

What I don't get is that they have always said that any changes take about 2 weeks to show any results.  However we went into lockdown on boxing Day then a week and a bit later it was strengthened and now 4 days later they are looking to tighten even more so this would be 3 increases in the severity of the lockdown before one of there review periods and we still don't know if the first measures have had an effect

I've mentioned this before but, this time, unlike previous times, measures were tightened when cases etc were still rising.

They previously 'worked' by helping to slightly accelerate the rate of the fall. This time they are trying to arrest a climb, before they can be shown to have any effect. They have no track record of doing this. 

It's easy to say "it will take 2 weeks to show an impact" when you know already what the outcome will be.

They don't this time, hence the sweating and hurriedly applying tighter and tighter measures.

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, renton said:

So far we are, I think, the best in the UK in terms of vaccinations when adjusted for population.

Assuming Sturgeon isn't sitting on a massive pile of vaccines, Smaug style, what else should the government be doing?

He doesn't know but he wants it done now

On 06/01/2021 at 15:12, Distant Doonhamer said:

Hope you are correct.

Latest Scotland Covid number for ICU is 95. Total hospital number 1384. (Confirmed cases).

Direct comparison of the highest numbers from April is 208 in ICU and 1520 for hospital numbers. Again that was confirmed cases.

At that time suspected cases were also being counted which gave ICU peak total at 221 and hospital numbers peak at 1866. 

ICU cases 100 today and total 1467.

As others have said some hope in the ICU numbers but increase in hospital numbers a concern and getting very close to the previous peak (confirmed) cases. Have to say I'd expected the numbers might be even higher today.

Both construction and professional sport (with the possible exception of the top flight) should have been panned in the first place. It's absolutely fucking ridiculous that the general population is expected to sit in their houses indefinitely like tortoises in a box while a seventh tier permadiddies travel across their region for a kickabout. The SFA shouldn't even need government intervention to act: they should have shut down regardless.

I agree on the football. A lot of construction work js outside so surely the risk is minimal if precautions are taken?

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Or introduced testing.

Especially for this round of the Scottish cup and if it meant folk conceeding the tie then so be it.