Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

There’s no evidence that vaccines effect pregnancies or your wishy washy ‘illness’. Anywhere there is evidence to not get the jag they won’t be offered it.

Those that are under the rader otherwise missed won’t be caught up by any mandatory scheme.  The first thing that would happen if you are found to be unvaccinated would be to try and get you vaccinated. 

I had a kidney transplant many years ago, and had to weigh up the benefit of being vaccinated against the fact my immune system might go into overdrive and affect my transplanted kidney.

Decided to get vaccinated, and have been struggling with infections from about a week after my first dose about 4 months ago. Infections can be dangerous for transplanted organs.

Have since had my second dose and can't definitively say the infections were as a result of the AZ, but the timing suggests there's a good chance of a connection.

Having said that, it was almost a no brainer to me to be vaccinated. The potential comparative dangers of catching Covid or losing my kidney are almost night and day. Catch Covid and my chances of survival are pretty slim. Lose a kidney and there's a potential for a fairly normal life. However, can see why some people might make the opposite decision.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

DRoss at FMQs today asked a three of four pronged question and his final part was 'Will the FM accept that at some point, we will have to simply move forward and learn to live with this virus?'

The answer she fired back with included this statement but it seems to have been largely glossed over as the first parts of the answer she gave, picked up on things that were more of interest such as the denial of a 10 week period, cancer treatment backlogs and 'greater levels of normality beyond zero'.

I think to be more precise, her wording was that she wasn't a fan of terminology such as 'learning to live with the virus' as that comes off as dismissive of the situation to families who lost loved ones.

It's honestly fucking warped the levels of eggshells these people will avoid treading on instead of just speaking plainly, concisely and treating people like adults.

That really got to me. It was pathetic.

People die. People will die of Covid. More people will die of heart disease and cancer. I'll die one day. Not sure how or when. It could be today for all I know. Is it nice to think about and talk about? Not really. But there's no point hitting out with wishy-washy language about a fact of life. Sturgeon is clearly trying to appease the Lovejoys and 'LoNg cOViD KilLLs 2' brigade with wording like that.

The other thing that gets me is 'the race between vaccination and the virus'. Well, yesterday, Scotland did 26k vaccinations (apparently an undercount) and reported just under 1000 Covid cases. Even taking into account the fact not all Covid cases will be reported, I'd like to put a solid fiver on the vaccination winning that particular 'race'.

The 'adult conversation' she spoke about last summer feels like a very distant memory. 

I really couldn't believe she said that to be honest. She thinks it's disrespectful to those who have died from Covid or to their families, so how is it any less disrespectful to people who have died from the flu, or cancer, or dementia or all the other diseases we "live with".

Of course we have to live with it going forward. It's not going away. And it's utterly shameful that she's said that and trying to insinuate otherwise.  

Definitely sensing an end of the tether reaction increasing (anecdotally) 

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/london-playbook/politico-london-playbook-living-with-corona-work-from-home-long-term-perspex-screens-scrapped/

Some interesting stuff in here from a Cabinet Office document. 

The usual negative stuff like winter measures in place to prevent cases spiking, VaRiAnTs and face masks being needed in some settings long term. However, most interesting of all was the part stating that all that plastic crap that's prolifierated in shops, restaurants etc as an anti-Covid measure, doesn't make a difference and may in fact make things worse. 

Guidance on working from home doesn't lookike it's going to substantially change either. 

The respect I have lost for Sturgeon and the SNP throughout this ordeal is quite sad. The behaviour of so many 'left leaning' people as well has just been a complete disgrace which will never be forgotten.

Also, there seems to be weight behind the idea that cascading vaccinations down via age groups as the UK has done is one of the reasons why we're seeing cases rise here but not in Europe or the US. Particularly now supply and actually getting jags in arms has slowed somewhat.

Essentially, we have very few people under 50 fully vaxxed, especially those aged 16-40, who are the biggest spreaders. It's a big pool left to be passing it about themselves, and there's not a huge number of people in this bracket where the immune response to a single dose will have built up yet either. As we know, fully vaxxed people are very unlikely to transmit, so the scatter gun approaches in Europe and the US might be working in their favour now. Israel were also so quick to fully vaxx in comparison.

Story today that studies have shown that the Perspex screens you see between desks or checkouts in shops actually increase transmission due to interrupting airflow. Government likely to require ventilation standards for businesses in the future for full reopening. 

19 minutes ago, Michael W said:

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/london-playbook/politico-london-playbook-living-with-corona-work-from-home-long-term-perspex-screens-scrapped/

Some interesting stuff in here from a Cabinet Office document. 

The usual negative stuff like winter measures in place to prevent cases spiking, VaRiAnTs and face masks being needed in some settings long term. However, most interesting of all was the part stating that all that plastic crap that's prolifierated in shops, restaurants etc as an anti-Covid measure, doesn't make a difference and may in fact make things worse. 

Guidance on working from home doesn't lookike it's going to substantially change either. 

Sounds like more wishy washy shite to appease the Lovejoy's that will safely be ignored by the rest of us, save any common sense things like not going into work if you're clearly coughing and spluttering.

The borders shite is very concerning. Hopefully it actually just means full vaccination and that's you. No testing nonsense. Masks also need to go from airports and aircraft. These places are properly ventilated so it is just utter theatre.

Edited by Elixir

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Essentially, we have very few people under 50 fully vaxxed, especially those aged 16-40, who are the biggest spreaders. It's a big pool left to be passing it about themselves, and there's not a huge number of people in this bracket where the immune response to a single dose will have built up yet either. As we know, fully vaxxed people are very unlikely to transmit, so the scatter gun approaches in Europe and the US might be working in their favour now. Israel were also so quick to fully vaxx in comparison.

What we are seeing is exactly what you would expect to happen with our targeted vaccination program.   The levels of spread between under 40's wasn't going to slow much compared too previously under level 1/2.  An increase in cases was inevitable under the current restrictions.  But guess what,  we chose to protect the most vulnerable first and as a result we are seeing very few hospital admissions or death.   This has been a massive success.  

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

What we are seeing is exactly what you would expect to happen with our targeted vaccination program.   The levels of spread between under 40's wasn't going to slow much compared too previously under level 1/2.  An increase in cases was inevitable under the current restrictions.  But guess what,  we chose to protect the most vulnerable first and as a result we are seeing very few hospital admissions or death.   This has been a massive success.  

It's been a massive success in protecting the vulnerable, less so about the recent bed wetting. Interrupting transmission by vaxxing younger groups will still have an indirect benefit rather than a direct benefit.

16 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Correct. It could scarcely have been more of a success if it tried. Which makes it all the more frustrating we still don't have the prospect of removing all restrictions and getting back to normal anywhere on the horizon.

8 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I also liked how aghast she was when someone dared to ask about Leitch’s 10 weeks delay comments as if they had come from someone off the street.

I personally have no idea how statements by the national clinical director who has been wheeled out daily as a government mouthpiece for the last 16 months could possibly be taken as Scot Gov policy.

1qdyr6.gif

There may be words about the 10 week thing

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Not at all surprised to see that putting daft wee screens around the place is ineffective against an airborne virus. Just surprised it took so long to be acknowledged.

Masks next, please.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Not at all surprised to see that putting daft wee screens around the place is ineffective against an airborne virus. Just surprised it took so long to be acknowledged.

Masks next, please.

I believe that masks are a requirement not to protect people from covid-laced breath, but rather to keep people reminded that there is a pandemic on. It's psychological, not medical. As long as mask wearing goes on, it is a self-reminder to everyone about what has been going on. 

Medical grade masks can help, but cloth masks, not so much study here - and even this study says that masks can make a difference but only in conjunction with other measures. So if you take away social distancing etc. but keep masks (as in New York), there is no real reason to do it. Makes no difference.

16 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

i'm not a doctor either but my fitbaw forum numpty heid told me that there was no way cases were sky rocketing at the rate they were purely down to people touching door handles and then their face, especially when early outbreaks all came from crowded settings. what a rip roaring c**t of that they all made 

10 hours ago, Scosha said:

Fucking depressing reading that. Get us fucking opened. 

I'd say the opposite as if the US of A can prove over the coming days and weeks that life CAN go on as normal then that will create huge pressure on all Governments (including our own) to follow suit.

10 hours ago, Left Back said:

Be careful with the truth.  In modern Scotland you have to pick one side or the other otherwise both sides will hate you.

I happen to agree with you though and would happily launch them all into the sun for being pathetic and not serving the public at all.  The whole lot of them have, and continue to, let us down to serve their own interests.

It's ALWAYS been like that, especially where our domestic football is concerned.

It's not just Scotland though, in the "modern world" views are so polarised across the board that there's very few people remaining who are willing to look at both sides of an argument or indeed sit on the fence as it were. 

All very strange.

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's ALWAYS been like that, especially where our domestic football is concerned.

It's not just Scotland though, in the "modern world" views are so polarised across the board that there's very few people remaining who are willing to look at both sides of an argument or indeed sit on the fence as it were. 

All very strange.

Any mention of the flu as a comparative illness (especially as COVID becomes endemic) is treated with disdain and as if you’ve just pished all over the memory of anyone who’s been unfortunate enough to die from COVID.

That’s why the “grown up conversation” is just never going to happen - people are more interested in being seen to care rather than having any interested in the kind of discussion that’s sorely needed here.