Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Aufc said:

Cant wait for Friday.15 of us out getting pished for the scotland from 1pm. Then back to my mates pub in his garden for the game. f**k it

Retweet a picture to Clownshoes for the blubbering meltdown please. 

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'd say the opposite as if the US of A can prove over the coming days and weeks that life CAN go on as normal then that will create huge pressure on all Governments (including our own) to follow suit.

This, I hope, is true. I just can't imagine how a scenario in a few months time where large parts of the Western world are highly vaccinated and essentially restriction free whilst we in Scotland / the UK continue with fairly significant restrictions would work.

A lot of the justification for continuing with restrictions is based on the "we just don't know" what the impact of removing restrictions will be argument. As more and more places remove restrictions the data to support such a stance will surely evaporate.

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's ALWAYS been like that, especially where our domestic football is concerned.

It's not just Scotland though, in the "modern world" views are so polarised across the board that there's very few people remaining who are willing to look at both sides of an argument or indeed sit on the fence as it were. 

All very strange.

Social media must play a huge part in how polarised the world is now 

people generally just exist in echo chambers now of their own viewpoints and have no real idea on how to handle anyone who has a differing point when they step outside that bubble 

33 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'd say the opposite as if the US of A can prove over the coming days and weeks that life CAN go on as normal then that will create huge pressure on all Governments (including our own) to follow suit.

Florida and Texas have already proved this leaving the blue states with no choice. 

Other countries don't exist for our government. They are even saying the Indian variant has a R of 7 without restrictions despite the fact that cases in India have been in decline for weeks. 

12 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Social media must play a huge part in how polarised the world is now 

people generally just exist in echo chambers now of their own viewpoints and have no real idea on how to handle anyone who has a differing point when they step outside that bubble 

It really is. I came off Twitter about 4 years ago and in hindsight, best thing I did. I remember during the referendum how polarising it was; I can only imagine the nutjobs on there now (anti-vax, 5G, lockdown-forever types amongst others)

21 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It really is. I came off Twitter about 4 years ago and in hindsight, best thing I did. I remember during the referendum how polarising it was; I can only imagine the nutjobs on there now (anti-vax, 5G, lockdown-forever types amongst others)

I quit Twitter at about January time for that very reason. An absolute cesspit of a platform.

Is anyone else at home keeping score? 

By my reckoning that is now over 5 weeks since we were made aware of the spike in delta/Indian variants in parts of Glasgow and Moray and we were told that although there was no massive impact on ICU or deaths, that we were being deliberately difficult as we all should know that these figures won't be reflected for 2-3 weeks and there would be a spike in both. 

So where is this? There are still only 17 people in the whole country in ICU. 

Scotland hitting its highest 7 day test total to date.

Schools hit the highest Covid non-attendance since December. Going to a lot of isolations as we open up if we continue to enforce it even after a negative test.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Is anyone else at home keeping score? 

By my reckoning that is now over 5 weeks since we were made aware of the spike in delta/Indian variants in parts of Glasgow and Moray and we were told that although there was no massive impact on ICU or deaths, that we were being deliberately difficult as we all should know that these figures won't be reflected for 2-3 weeks and there would be a spike in both. 

So where is this? There are still only 17 people in the whole country in ICU. 

Yes believe it should have resulted in more icu admissions now if it was going to. Was largely spreading initially amongst the indian/pakistani community in the shields, giffnock etc (and thats not me implying any blame or supposition), which for me is important as vaccine uptake in this community was reportedly lower and there is a very significant number of multi generational families in this community. So basically the ideal grounds for an explosion in cases (which we saw), with no significant impact on the icu numbers. Ie get the place opened up again. 

Interesting seeing the sheer shitebaggery from JL in that quoted tweet earlier, from a year ago, hes just gotten more brazen with it. 

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That really got to me. It was pathetic.

People die. People will die of Covid. More people will die of heart disease and cancer. I'll die one day. Not sure how or when. It could be today for all I know. Is it nice to think about and talk about? Not really. But there's no point hitting out with wishy-washy language about a fact of life. Sturgeon is clearly trying to appease the Lovejoys and 'LoNg cOViD KilLLs 2' brigade with wording like that.

The other thing that gets me is 'the race between vaccination and the virus'. Well, yesterday, Scotland did 26k vaccinations (apparently an undercount) and reported just under 1000 Covid cases. Even taking into account the fact not all Covid cases will be reported, I'd like to put a solid fiver on the vaccination winning that particular 'race'.

The 'adult conversation' she spoke about last summer feels like a very distant memory. 

'Adult conversation' for Nicola Sturgeon means 'I'm going to order you to do annoying, contradictory and sometimes useless things and you've to be 'adult' and accept it'.

Same as she pledged to make Holyrood all about 'consensus' but really meant 'I'll blunder about and make an arse of quite a lot of things and you've not to query it because 'consensus' means 'fall in behind me no matter what'.

1,129 new cases of COVID-19 reported

35,638 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

3.4% of these were positive

1 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

15 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (down from 17)

133 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (down from 137)

3,551,739* people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 2,493,358* have received their second dose

*Please note that this excludes data from GP systems from 14 June 2021. These will be included in tomorrow's figures.

9 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

1 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

15 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (down from 17)

133 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (down from 137)

Image result for big cigar smoke

I wonder if we are near the peak of this "third wave" yet. Certainly feels like the rise in infections is slowing down, and hospital numbers going down instead of up shows that the vaccines are utterly bossing this.