Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I’ve no idea why this girl even bothered raising the question, just come home and see your dying dad. 

That was my thought too mate. I don’t know why she didn’t just quietly fly into UK (maybe via Spain as she was already in Mallorca from her Dubai home). I guess she was playing by the rules as she wasn’t in this for media publicly but I would have just kept my head down, mouth shut and flown home to her family tbh. 

16 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I’ve no idea why this girl even bothered raising the question, just come home and see your dying dad. 

Yup, the only reason for going to Mallorca could have been to save money on beach side hotel bills compared to managed quarantine in some horrible airport hotel in the UK, it wouldn't have got her home any quicker. And it seems she could have visited her Dad from managed quarantine in Scotland. The BBC article doesn't say when she left the UAE but it's likely she'd be approaching the 10 days by now, having already spent time with her Dad, if she'd just flown direct. Now she seems to be complaining about the green to amber shift in Mallorca which means she'll still have to self isolate in Scotland, staying with her family and still being able to spend time with her Dad. The BBC article is very skewed.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yup, the only reason for going to Mallorca could have been to save money on beach side hotel bills compared to managed quarantine in some horrible airport hotel in the UK, it wouldn't have got her home any quicker. And it seems she could have visited her Dad from managed quarantine in Scotland. The BBC article doesn't say when she left the UAE but it's likely she'd be approaching the 10 days by now, having already spent time with her Dad, if she'd just flown direct. Now she seems to be complaining about the green to amber shift in Mallorca which means she'll still have to self isolate in Scotland, staying with her family and still being able to spend time with her Dad. The BBC article is very skewed.

The simp is strong with this one.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The simp is strong with this one.

Just going on the available information. Do you see a flaw? Would you have flown straight home, or diverted to Mallorca?

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

Just going on the available information. Do you see a flaw?

Yes. The whole thing.

Maybe, just for once, you could stop trying to simp the SG and call them out for a situation that's complete BS.

Red list / Amber list / Magenta list who cares, having to jump through hoops to see your dying father is unacceptable.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes. The whole thing.

Maybe, just for once, you could stop trying to simp the SG and call them out for a situation that's complete BS.

Red list / Amber list / Magenta list who cares, having to jump through hoops to see your dying father is unacceptable.

There was nothing stopping her, other than trying to avoid Airport hotels, which I can understand. Not if my Dad was dying though.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

Monstrous response from Leitch. Utterly sickening.

He's only an advisor, FFS. It's time for the adult conversation we were promised, the topic of which should be: How did we reach this point where we're being bullied by such an obvious sociopath?

It really is a horrendous response.

However, can people please stop saying he's only an advisor? He isn't, he's the national clinical director, with an actual role and responsibilities within the NHS. 

4 hours ago, stuart87 said:

Covid in Scotland: Family's plea to allow dying father to see expat daughter https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-57866679

Makes me angry that our ‘rules’ have come to this.

What a total areshole Leitch is making that comment. 

But equally Sturgeon could solve the issue this minute- which I bet will not happen.

There needs to be media pressure on this case. Imagine the uproar if Johnson refused to allow a daughter to see her dying father due to the risk of ‘importing new strains’.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

10 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It really is a horrendous response.

However, can people please stop saying he's only an advisor? He isn't, he's the national clinical director, with an actual role and responsibilities within the NHS. 

Fair point. My error understates the extent of his influence & what is a more frightening reality.

6 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

What a total areshole Leitch is making that comment. 

But equally Sturgeon could solve the issue this minute- which I bet will not happen.

Just for reference, the BBC article missed out the bit about her being able to see her Dad if she just jumped on a plane, she's choosing to delay it, and has been for a while.

Edited by welshbairn

Guest TheJTS98

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/16/englands-covid-unlocking-a-threat-to-the-world-experts-say

“In New Zealand we have always looked to the UK for leadership when it comes to scientific expertise, which is why it’s so remarkable that it is not following even basic public health principles,” said Michael Baker, a professor of public health at the University of Otago and a member of the New Zealand ministry of health’s Covid-19 technical advisory group.

Also participating was Prof José Martin-Moreno of the University of Valencia, a senior adviser to the World Health Organization (WHO), who said: “We cannot understand why this is happening in spite of the scientific knowledge that you have.”

'Prof Christina Pagel, the director of University College London’s clinical operational research unit, told the meeting: “Because of our position as a global travel hub, any variant that becomes dominant in the UK will likely spread to the rest of the globe. The UK policy doesn’t just affect us. It affects everybody and everybody has a stake in what we do.”

I'm sure they're just a collection of 'lovejoys' whose concerns can be dismissed with a mixture of capital letters, lower case letters, and exclamation marks.

Reckless barely covers what's going on here.

Edited by TheJTS98

43 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/16/englands-covid-unlocking-a-threat-to-the-world-experts-say

“In New Zealand we have always looked to the UK for leadership when it comes to scientific expertise, which is why it’s so remarkable that it is not following even basic public health principles,” said Michael Baker, a professor of public health at the University of Otago and a member of the New Zealand ministry of health’s Covid-19 technical advisory group.

Also participating was Prof José Martin-Moreno of the University of Valencia, a senior adviser to the World Health Organization (WHO), who said: “We cannot understand why this is happening in spite of the scientific knowledge that you have.”

'Prof Christina Pagel, the director of University College London’s clinical operational research unit, told the meeting: “Because of our position as a global travel hub, any variant that becomes dominant in the UK will likely spread to the rest of the globe. The UK policy doesn’t just affect us. It affects everybody and everybody has a stake in what we do.”

I'm sure they're just a collection of 'lovejoys' whose concerns can be dismissed with a mixture of capital letters, lower case letters, and exclamation marks.

Reckless barely covers what's going on here.

In almost all of these types of articles, and indeed these types of posts, theres a serious lack of what we should be doing instead, and on what basis. 

To give an example, weeks before I saw a full Wembley, I saw Denmark with full stadia, no masks etc. Now i'm not going to claim to be an expert on the situation in Denmark, its just an example that we are not alone. I suspect the USA are over the piece, weeks if not months ahead of us in opening up, and its not like their case/death numbers weren't well publicised and every bit as bad as us.... Where is all the criticism of their policy? Has it gone horribly wrong for them? I'm asking because I don't know, but I don't think what we are doing is without precedent. 

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

In almost all of these types of articles, and indeed these types of posts, theres a serious lack of what we should be doing instead, and on what basis. 

To give an example, weeks before I saw a full Wembley, I saw Denmark with full stadia, no masks etc. Now i'm not going to claim to be an expert on the situation in Denmark, its just an example that we are not alone. I suspect the USA are over the piece, weeks if not months ahead of us in opening up, and its not like their case/death numbers weren't well publicised and every bit as bad as us.... Where is all the criticism of their policy? Has it gone horribly wrong for them? I'm asking because I don't know, but I don't think what we are doing is without precedent. 

No, it's not about whether it has precedent or not. It's about whether it's a good idea or not.

Were I an American, I'd be very critical of how the American federal government have dealt with this, and how many of their states have dealt with this.

I think the advice from many different (and more successful) countries is quite clear. We wait.

I do not believe it is an economic necessity to reopen. Indeed, this argument has been widely discredited by how things have played out over the last year and a half. And the idea of removing restrictions around masks and mixing etc with a 'see what happens' attitude is bizarre.

Vaccination is going well. Carry on with that, continue a bit longer with restrictions, lift restrictions when numbers are lower and it won't expose so many people to illness and death. This is fairly standard elsewhere.

Low numbers, plus vaccination will save a lot of life and ill health. High numbers plus vaccination will lead to plenty of unnecessary suffering. This does not have to be done now.

Add in the potential effect beyond the UK and you've got a completely reckless approach that may end up making this not only worse, but making it last longer.

Edited by TheJTS98

2 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

No, it's not about whether it has precedent or not. It's about whether it's a good idea or not.

Were I an American, I'd be very critical of how the American federal government have dealt with this, and how many of their states have dealt with this.

I think the advice from many different (and more successful) countries is quite clear. We wait.

I do not believe it is an economic necessity to reopen. Indeed, this argument has been widely discredited by how things have played out over the last year and a half. And the idea of removing restrictions around masks and mixing etc with a 'see what happens' attitude is bizarre.

Vaccination is going well. Carry on with that, continue a bit longer with restrictions, lift restrictions when numbers are lower and it won't expose so many people to illness and death. This is fairly standard elsewhere.

Low numbers, plus vaccination will save a lot of life and ill health. High numbers plus vaccination will lead to plenty of unnecessary suffering. This does not have to be done now.

Add in the potential effect beyond the UK and you've got a completely reckless approach that may end up making this not only worse, but making it last longer.

Whats going wrong in America that would make you critical? Again here, asking because I dont know.

How much better can vaccination go?