Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Most of the EU has ditched testing on arrival. Why are variants such a problem in the UK/Scotland that we need to maintain this testing? Is this because the EU is not worried about them, or is it all evil and reckless and Tory? It is one of these; if you're insisting we keep it, pick a lane and explain it. 

Also, you are to go and get a PCR anyway if your lateral flow is positive so it's not correct to say that it's been ditched. 

Are you legally obliged to get a PCR if you have a positive LFT or can you just sit on your arse at home for 10 days?

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Most of the EU has ditched testing on arrival. Why are variants such a problem in the UK/Scotland that we need to maintain this testing? Is this because the EU is not worried about them, or is it all evil and reckless and Tory? It is one of these; if you're insisting we keep it, pick a lane and explain it. 

Also, you are to go and get a PCR anyway if your lateral flow is positive so it's not correct to say that it's been ditched. 

Now that we are firmly on the way to covid becoming an endemic, cold causing virus, it is clearer than ever that NS is not a scientist.

Regurgitating the same lines about variants etc that she was 9 months ago.

She can't explain why we need to keep doing it because she has no idea whether we need to or not.

How to kill your app off before it even got started.
What a waste of money.

They've always said this will be the case, as I've mentioned to at least three people including you over the weekend. Some people don't have phones and therefore there was always the need for a physical version.

Most people will still use the app because it's preferable to having to carry a bit of paper everywhere with you.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They've always said this will be the case, as I've mentioned to at least three people including you over the weekend. Some people don't have phones and therefore there was always the need for a physical version.

Most people will still use the app because it's preferable to having to carry a bit of paper everywhere with you.

Yeah, you did. There was never a need to carry a bit of paper around, though, as there was a perfectly good PDF available to display the QR code on your phone. The same QR code that is on the paper copy and app.

If you can get round verifying your ID on the app by just bringing a paper copy of a QR code, what is the point in the app?

If ensuring accuracy of vaccination status was the aim of the app, then it has failed before it even got rolled out.

Its the sort of obvious flaw that you would expect someone in a planning meeting to highlight. So either those involved are completely out of touch with human behaviours, believing that everyone who isn't vaccinated would do nothing at all to get round missing out on things, or those in charge are arrogant enough to ignore any points raised because they have decided something is happening regardless.

Edited by Todd_is_God

9 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Are you legally obliged to get a PCR if you have a positive LFT or can you just sit on your arse at home for 10 days?

I'd understood that the LFTs were provisional results and therefore needed confirmation via PCR if positive. 

It's a fair point that you can most probably just decide to have 10 days of house arrest instead. Idon't think you can be forced to go for a PCR under a threat of fines. Maybe another of these 'strongly advised' type things. 

The incentive is that if your PCR is negative, you're released to go about your business. Every day the UK figures include a few hundred LFTs being removed where the follow up PCR did not show a positive test. These are all in England as LFT positives are counted in the figures. 

Edited by Michael W

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Schapps admitted there were no real checks on whether people had taken their day 2 PCR test, just that they'd paid for it, so that's probably not going to change. The day 2 LFT will be just as much a pain in the arse as the PCR, just maybe £20 cheaper. I'd like to see them offer a free one at the airport on arrival as some countries do, as an alternative to paying to book one for home use. Or even better get rid of them altogether for the fully vaccinated.

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yeah, you did. There was never a need to carry a bit of paper around, though, as there was a perfectly good PDF available to display the QR code on your phone. The same QR code that is on the paper copy and app.

If you can get round verifying your ID on the app by just bringing a paper copy of a QR code, what is the point in the app?

If ensuring accuracy of vaccination status was the aim of the app, then it has failed before it even got rolled out.

admit it....you didnt read his response in full did you?

"Some people don't have phones and therefore there was always the need for a physical version."

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Schapps admitted there were no real checks on whether people had taken their day 2 PCR test, just that they'd paid for it, so that's probably not going to change. The day 2 LFT will be just as much a pain in the arse as the PCR, just maybe £20 cheaper. I'd like to see them offer a free one at the airport on arrival as some countries do, as an alternative to paying to book one for home use. Or even better get rid of them altogether for the fully vaccinated.

I'm fairly confident that the UK Gov will do this if not before Christmas, then early next year. It's the obvious next step.

When this does happen I am also confident that the SG will stomp their feet about it for a week or so, once more causing needless uncertainty for Scottish airports.

1 minute ago, Caledonian1 said:

admit it....you didnt read his response in full did you?

"Some people don't have phones and therefore there was always the need for a physical version."

I did read it. He was referring to a point he made in a conversation we had the other day.

It doesn't change the point made in the rest of the post, though.

28 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Most of the EU has ditched testing on arrival. Why are variants such a problem in the UK/Scotland that we need to maintain this testing?

Coz we voted Brexit to stop them bloody foreigners comin in here with their variants and it ain’t workin 😡🇬🇧

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Second reply to this after thinking about it. The UK pursued a policy of opening up despite a rising infection rate, hoping to increase herd immunity before autumn/winter kicks in, with both vaccination and rising natural immunity through infection. The WHO and others thought we were mad, but it seems to be working. Hopefully all four UK nations will see a fall to near the European average by the the end of October. 

I agree the actual policy was PLANNING for 100K cases per day.  It never happened as 40K was about peak numbers.

On the flip side I do not see us getting down to 50 cases per 100K and below like France & Spain etc.

I have no idea why, but just a gut feeling we will stabilise at around 200-250 per 100K and not budge.

Now that in itself may not be a bad thing as ICU cases and deaths stay as low as the rest of Europe.

But our infection numbers compared to France & Spain etc are pretty much unexplained by the "experts". 

The one thing you can bet your bottom dollar on, is that the rest of the world (Particularly the EU) will just look at our numbers and treat as plague ravaged.   Wales remember is currently the number 1  country in the world on infections alone. 

Edited by superbigal

My understanding was before today anyone under 12 coming from green country didnt need a pre arrival test or day 2 test but now as of today anyone arriving 5 years old or over requires a day 2 pcr test? Have I read that right?

also the day 2 test before wasnt a pcr test was it?, so is it still the case that the day 2 test arrives by mail or is it required to book test and actually go somewhere to get it done

Edited by BigDoddyKane

The other half’s dad (he’s in his late 70’s and doesn’t keep the best of health; has ongoing cancer treatment and was in hospital with a suspected mini stroke this year) was confirmed as having COVID this morning. Couple of things that are on my mind...

I was saying yesterday that he only had cold- like symptoms and I was saying to the other half she was exaggerating getting him a COVID test, as she goes mad taking tests all the time. Even though the LFT did show a faint 2nd positive line, I was still sure he just had a cold!

It shows how well the vaccine works as he would probably be hospitalised and on a ventilator if he had caught this virus a year ago.

1 minute ago, superbigal said:

I agree the actual policy was PLANNING for 100K cases per day.  It never happened as 40K was about peak numbers.

On the flip side I do not see us getting down to 50 cases per 100K and below like France & Spain etc.

I have no idea why, but just a gut feeling we will stabilise at around 200-250 per 100K and not budge.

Now that in itself may not be a bad thing as ICU cases and deaths stay as low as the rest of Europe.

But our infection numbers compared to France & Spain etc are pretty much unexplained by the "experts". 

The one thing you can bet your bottom dollar on, is that the rest of the world (Particularly the EU) will just look at our numbers and treat as as plague ravaged.   Wales remember is currently the number 1  country in the world on infections alone. 

I really hope you're wrong and we get below a hundred soon, or countries like the Netherlands will keep insisting we get tested every fucking day if we want to go to a pub or restaurant. Hoping that England just trundles along without a big spike like the other 3 nations had, and then drops along with us, as other countries won't give a f**k if we're back to normal levels if England is world leading.

23 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm fairly confident that the UK Gov will do this if not before Christmas, then early next year. It's the obvious next step.

When this does happen I am also confident that the SG will stomp their feet about it for a week or so, once more causing needless uncertainty for Scottish airports.

Yup. All testing should be in the bin, especially ones at airports, even if they're free. Free testing at airports will likely be mandatory so you're fucked if positive.

There should be zero travel restrictions whether vaxxed or unvaxxed as we go into next summer as it will be abundantly clear then that the pandemic is over.

Edited by Elixir

17 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

My understanding was before today anyone under 12 coming from green country didnt need a pre arrival test or day 2 test but now as of today anyone arriving 5 years old or over requires a day 2 pcr test? Have I read that right?

also the day 2 test before wasnt a pcr test was it?, so is it still the case that the day 2 test arrives by mail or is it required to book test and actually go somewhere to get it done

The day 2 test is still a PCR test that you can get posted to your home, later in the month it will change to an LFT but they haven't said when. Or you can book the tests for the airport when you arrive to get them out of the way. Not sure about the rules before for kids, but everyone now has to do the day 2 test apart from under 5s. Fully vaccinated adults and all UK citizens under 18 no longer have to take the pre return flight test.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The day 2 test is still a PCR test that you can get posted to your home, later in the month it will change to an LFT but they haven't said when. Or you can book the tests for the airport when you arrive to get them out of the way. Not sure about the rules before for kids, but everyone now has to do the day 2 test apart from under 5s. Fully vaccinated adults and all UK citizens under 18 no longer have to take the pre return flight test.

ok thanks, that was how I read it, though didnt know the tests could be done at airport. 

Just now, BigDoddyKane said:

ok thanks, that was how I read it, though didnt know the tests could be done at airport. 

They're probably more expensive but it's quick way of getting them out of the way. You have to book them the same way as the home kits because you need a code for the passenger locator form.

Pre Departure PCR testing (if required) in Scottish Airports is extortionate.  Also the results still take many hours.

Don't get sucked into thinking you could rock up 3 hours before a flight and get a test done & dusted.

Safest bet(imo) is just using Randox with a code (Easy to find) for £43 using a drop box.

I will use the cheapest tat possible for Day 2 return test as they are simply for getting a Code for your PLF

Edited by superbigal