Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

She closed the country down when a single case appeared. Of course she was after zero covid.

Another political leader shown to be a lying b*****d.

When will folk realise that these people simply can never be trusted?

Anyone putting any of these people on a pedestal as some kind of hero is a gormless, gullible eejit.

Who the f**k cares what the New Zealander’s are doing?  We don’t live there 

Not sure what your point is?  That’s for the English to worry about.  SG introduced and own our vaccine passport.  As I said it’s nothing to do with Westminster to get other countries to accept it.
The point is that the only vaccine passport the Dutch will accept for hospitality is the EU Digital Covid Certificate.

Even if we hadn't had our own scheme the same issue would still be there.

It's also why the UK is likely to join the scheme.
https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/uk-on-verge-of-joining-eu-covid-passport-scheme

PS The reason Westminster needs to (or rather has the responsibility to) sort it out is that it's a reserved matter - Data Protection through the GDPR UK is reserved.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Thread here on the new drug to treat Covid that was announced last weak. Some quite interesting thoughts within. 

In a way, also amusing that Anti-vaxxers will reject the vaccine but would (I imagine) have no qualms being treated with that drug. 

34 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

So daily cases have dropped from 7000 to 2000 in 3 weeks without a lockdown. R number has dropped from 1.6 to 0.8.

very few people seem to be happy about this.

Good headlines harm the vaccine passport and mask wearing theatre.

Thread here on the new drug to treat Covid that was announced last weak. Some quite interesting thoughts within. 
In a way, also amusing that Anti-vaxxers will reject the vaccine but would (I imagine) have no qualms being treated with that drug. 
Anti vaxxers are just attention-seekers. If mainstream opinion turned suddenly against vaccination they'd find something else ridiculous to be up in arms about.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, anotherchance said:

Still bizarre that people get so raging at things heading in a good direction, simply because they’re being proved wrong and others are being proved right. 

Go and enjoy life rather than getting all heads gone on here.

I enjoy that.

2 hours ago, Thorongil said:

So daily cases have dropped from 7000 to 2000 in 3 weeks without a lockdown. R number has dropped from 1.6 to 0.8.

very few people seem to be happy about this.

I don't think that's the case at all.

Cases etc falling through the floor without any intervention quite literally destroys the narrative of the last 18 months, though.

On 02/10/2021 at 16:18, O_Kahn said:

I know that the UK tests more than most European countries, but aside from that is there an obvious reason why our case rates have been much higher than most of Western Europe for the last month or so?

Second reply to this after thinking about it. The UK pursued a policy of opening up despite a rising infection rate, hoping to increase herd immunity before autumn/winter kicks in, with both vaccination and rising natural immunity through infection. The WHO and others thought we were mad, but it seems to be working. Hopefully all four UK nations will see a fall to near the European average by the the end of October. 

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Second reply to this after thinking about it. The UK pursued a policy of opening up despite a rising infection rate, hoping to increase herd immunity before autumn/winter kicks in, with both vaccination and rising natural immunity through infection. The WHO and others thought we were mad, but it seems to be working. Hopefully all four UK nations will see a fall to near the European average by the the end of October. 

Absolutely shocked that applying decades worth of scientific knowledge was more successful than viewing covid as a virus like nothing else and trying to re-invent the wheel at every opportunity.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Absolutely shocked that applying decades worth of scientific knowledge was more successful than viewing covid as a virus like nothing else and trying to re-invent the wheel at every opportunity.

The risk they highlighted was new variants more easily emerging out of increased transmission, which could have been bad for everyone. Looks like Delta has won the race and will be the final king of the castle globally, hopefully anyway. So the gamble paid off, no new mutations occurred.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't think that's the case at all.

Cases etc falling through the floor without any intervention quite literally destroys the narrative of the last 18 months, though.

I think the vaccine is quite a big intervention. Masks could be argued as an intervention too - I don't think they've played a big part personally, but you would certainly have made that argument in the opposite direction.

Most of the EU has ditched testing on arrival. Why are variants such a problem in the UK/Scotland that we need to maintain this testing? Is this because the EU is not worried about them, or is it all evil and reckless and Tory? It is one of these; if you're insisting we keep it, pick a lane and explain it. 

Also, you are to go and get a PCR anyway if your lateral flow is positive so it's not correct to say that it's been ditched.